Swedish Monarchy: Articles from 2017

Started by Jennifer, January 02, 2017, 09:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

I admire this family so much!  :thumbsup: They are always so happy together. Crown Princess Victoria & Prince Daniel are a great couple and the children are beautiful!

Quote16-03-2017 Sweden's Crown Princess Victoria addresses the opening ceremony of "Chanel, Balmain, Dior: Marianne Bernadotte - a style icon" exhibition at Millesgarden in Stockholm, Sweden.

PPE Agency

Quote12-03-2017 Stockholm Princess Victoria, with Prince Daniel and Princes Estelle, during celebrations for the crownprincess her nameday at the innercourt of the Royal Palace in Stockholm.

PPE Agency

"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

Jennifer

King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia have a wonderful family. I especially love their grandchildren! I imagine it must be great to have more family members in just 5 years. :thumbsup: I wish my family was big like this.

QuoteFive babies in five years! Meet Sweden's youngest princes and princesses

Sweden has a case of royal baby fever! Over the last five years the country has welcomed five little princes and princesses. Now with Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia expecting their second child together, the royal family's tot count will grow to six. Click through for a look at King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia's adorable grandchildren.

Link:
Five babies in five years! Meet Sweden's youngest princes and princesses - Photo 1
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

Jennifer

QuoteExclusive: Swedish Royal Court confirms Princess Leonore's citizenship status

The Swedish Royal Court has exclusively confirmed to Royal Central of Her Royal Highness Princess Leonore's citizenship status. Whether or not she was a dual, or triple, her citizenship has been the subject of much debate since her birth three years ago.

Their press secretary confirmed to me that she does, in fact, hold both Swedish and American citizenship. Until now, it was only assumed she held American citizenship based on her birth in New York City on 20 February 2014. However, it was possible that an agreement was made to only grant her Swedish citizenship. Furthermore, it was also possible and believed by some, that she was not granted American citizenship due to her mother, Princess Madeleine, residing in the United States at the time of her birth on a diplomatic passport.

After her birth in 2014, the Swedish Royal Court had said that her citizenship status was yet to be determined. Acting Communications Manager, Annika Sönnerberg explained then that Princess Leonore's "citizenship is not yet clear." No confirmation or clarification of her citizenship status ever came from the Court to the press until they responded to our inquiry yesterday.

Read more:
Exclusive: Swedish Royal Court confirms Princess Leonore’s citizenship status – Royal Central

Lothwen

I was under the impression that people born in the US were automatically US citizens?
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

Jennifer

People born in the US are automatically US citizens even if the parents were born in foreign countries. Princess Leonore has both American and Swedish citizenship. I don't see how there can be an agreement made for her to only be a Swedish citizenship, since the American one can't be undo because she was born there.

QuoteChris O'Neill, husband of Princess Madeleine, faces criticism

Christopher O'Neill, the husband of Princess Madeleine of Sweden, has been criticised for enjoying the benefits of being part of the Swedish Royal family without holding a title or responsibilities.

Two weeks ago, Chris O'Neill was on a visit to Sweden for a private business meeting. He travelled alone without Princess Madeleine or his children because it was only a short trip. After Chris had landed at Arlanda Airport just outside Stockholm, he was driven to the centre of Stockholm by a car from the Royal Mews. A taxi ride from the airport to the city costs around 1000 SEK (or 104 euros), but as Chris was able to use an official car from the Royal Mews, he did not have to pay anything. The Royal Mews are financed by a grant of the state budget to the Royal Court. This means that this is money from taxpayers.

When Chris O'Neill married Princess Madeleine in 2013, he declined his royal title. He wanted to be able to continue working in the private sector and keep his American/British citizenship. If Chris had accepted the title, he would not have been able to do that. Christopher has no responsibilities or official role, but he sometimes joins his wife for the National Day celebrations, the opening of the parliament, and other official events. He took part in the Canadian state visit earlier this year.

Read more:
Chris O'Neill, husband of Princess Madeleine, faces criticism – Royal Central

Jennifer

QuoteEnjoy it while you can, Alexander! Swedish prince is the centre of attention on his first birthday as he prepares to become a big brother

A year has flown by since he was welcomed into the world by his proud parents and already Prince Alexander of Sweden has an important new role ahead.

The young royal is set to be a big brother soon when his mother Princess Sofia, 32, gives birth to her second child, but yesterday all eyes were on Alexander as he celebrated his first birthday.

To celebrate the son's big day, Prince Carl Philip, 37, and his wife released two adorable official portraits of their son, as well as a candid shot showing the youngster opening a present - taken by his doting dad.

Read more: Prince Alexander of Sweden celebrates first birthday | Daily Mail Online

Jennifer

QuoteCrown Princess Victoria says it's important to explain her trips to her children

In a new interview with Svenskdam while on her four-day trip to Japan, Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden explained that she always makes sure to go over her official trips abroad, taken on behalf of the Swedish Royal Family and the Swedish government, to her children.

She and Prince Daniel find it important to explain these trips to their children, Princess Estelle and Prince Oscar, as a way to begin preparing them for their future roles, especially Estelle who will one day be Queen of Sweden. Victoria took inspiration from her own childhood when her parents, King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, would always talk about their experiences with their children.

She explained to Svenskdam's reporter, Ellen Myrgård Lindén, "I think my parents made it very good and educational. They started very often from their travels and their visits in order to speak about Sweden and also in order to speak about the weight to lead forward with Sweden, Swedish valuations, Swedish research and technology. In this way, it becomes, of course, a natural attitude to what the role of such means but also what you are able to assist with."

Read more:
Crown Princess Victoria says it’s important to explain her trips to her children – Royal Central

Jennifer

I definitely believe it's important for Crown Princess Victoria to let her children know early what roles they will do in the future as Princess and Prince of Sweden.

QuotePrincess Victoria is already preparing Princess Estelle and Prince Oscar for future royal roles

Princess Victoria is already preparing her young children — Princess Estelle and Prince Oscar — for their future roles of representing Sweden abroad when they are older. While visiting Japan on a four-day royal visit, the heir to to the Swedish throne revealed in a new interview with Svenskdam that she always discusses her official travels with her children the same way that her parents, King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, did with her.

"I think my parents made it very good and educational," Victoria, 39, said. "They started very often from their travels and their visits in order to speak about Sweden and also in order to speak about the weight to lead forward with Sweden, Swedish valuations, Swedish research and technology. In this way, it becomes, of course, a natural attitude to what the role of such means but also what you are able to assist with."

Read more:
Princess Victoria is already preparing Princess Estelle & Prince Oscar for future royal roles

Jennifer

QuotePrincess Christina of Sweden undergoes successful stem cell transplant

Princess Christina of Sweden, the youngest of King Carl XVI Gustaf's four older sisters, has successfully undergone a stem cell transplant.

Swedish newspaper Expressen first reported the news with a confirmation from the Swedish Royal Court's Director of Information and Press Department, Margareta Thorgren. She explained to them, "The stem cell operation is completed. Princess Christina is well under the circumstances."

The Princess will remain at home during her recuperation. After such operations, the immune system is considerably weakened, and as a result, doctors commonly advise patients stay isolated while they heal.

Read more:
Princess Christina of Sweden undergoes successful stem cell transplant – Royal Central

Jennifer

QuotePrincess Estelle and Prince Oscar join parents and uncle to receive Sweden's Men's National Ice Hockey Team

After winning gold at the World Championships, Sweden's Men's National Ice Hockey team were invited to the Royal Palace in Stockholm to meet Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel, Princess Estelle, Prince Oscar and Prince Carl Philip where Their Royal Highnesses were able to congratulate them on a job well done. Public celebrations were held later in the day at Sergel Square in Stockholm.

The team won the gold on Sunday in Cologne, Germany, defeating Canada in a shootout; the final score was 2-1. Well-known Swedish players who play in the National Hockey League in the United States and Canada were part of the winning team, led by New York Rangers goalie, Henrik Lundqvist. Lundqvist was presented with the Victoria Scholarship by the Crown Princess at her birthday celebrations last year on 14 July. It is awarded to a Swedish athlete each year that has represented Sweden well in their sport.

The team brought the World Championship trophy with them and took photos with the royals in the Royal Palace. One-year-old Prince Oscar, dressed in a Swedish ice hockey jersey, ran away after the image had been taken. His older sister, Princess Estelle, 5, took off after him and was able to help bring him to their mother.

Read more:
Princess Estelle and Prince Oscar join parents and uncle to receive Sweden’s Men’s National Ice Hockey Team – Royal Central

Jennifer

Being a Crown Princess was a lot of pressure for Victoria and as a result, she placed more demands on herself and didn't eat properly. Fortunately, she was able to get help for her eating disorder and overcame it. Her then fitness trainer Daniel Westling (husband ) supported her through the ordeal and she became a even more resilient person. I'm glad she was able to talk about her problems and not hide them. Unfortunately, there are people who face problems and just keep them to themselves rather than letting others know about them & seeking help.

QuoteCrown Princess Victoria opens up about her battle with an eating disorder when she was younger

In part one of a two-part programme "Crown Princess Victoria, 40 years" on Sweden's TV4 ahead of her 40th birthday in July, Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden has opened up about her battle with an eating disorder when she was younger.

The Crown Princess explained that as she began to support her parents in their work after she became of age, she started to put more and harder demands on herself. Once her disease had progressed so far, she knew she had to get help, and so, she travelled to the United States.

She explained, "In the US, I got professional help, which was really important for me. Just learning to put words to feelings and thus, be able to set limits and to not push myself too much, which I found easy. I wanted all the time so much more than I could do, or could be."

Read more:
Crown Princess Victoria opens up about her battle with an eating disorder when she was younger – Royal Central

Curryong

Exactly, Jennifer. I am very glad that Victoria was able to overcome her eating disorder with Daniel's invaluable support. She has always seemed to me to be a very consciencious person who tries to do her absolute best in carrying out her public duties in a friendly and gracious manner.

It is great when people in the public eye open up about their troubles in an effort to help others. When Diana spoke about her struggles in this area hospitals and clinics who treated bulimic patients reported an almost immediate spike in people coming forward who had experienced bulimia and, just as important, other similar disorders themselves. It was the same with Harry about his struggles with his mental health, and I am sure it happened in Sweden as well after Victoria spoke out.

Jennifer

I think Prince Daniel is a good father who wants his children to not only know the life of royals, but also experience life outside of the palace gates as commoners. Having them wait in a long line to go to the toystore and take a bus with a lot of people from city to city would be good examples of exposing them to the average life of a commoner. From an early age, the children can understand both worlds and not let the differences between them disconnect each other.

Prince Daniel wants his and Princess Victoria's children to know what a non-royal life is like

Before marrying into Sweden's royal family in 2010, Prince Daniel was a commoner, who owned a chained of gyms and worked as a personal trainer. Now married to Crown Princess Victoria, the dad-of-two admitted in a new interview with Dagens Nyheter that he wants his five-year-old daughter, Princess Estelle, and one-year-old son, Prince Oscar, to experience life as he did.

"Being with your children is the best thing in the world," he shared. "I also think it's important to let the children visit all sorts of environments. You need to know how the metro works, and what it's like to travel by bus and what it's like to stand in line, and what it's like to experience that passion within the sports community when there's a game and the [AIK football team's supporter club] Black Army is chanting away. That's something I don't want them to miss out on."

Read more:
Prince Daniel wants his & Princess Victoria's children to know what a non-royal life is like

Curryong

I think both Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel are very down to earth people and of course devoted parents. They've done a sterling job in getting daughter Estelle used to the public and to being photographed and filmed, something she will have to get used to all her life, I suppose.

I doubt that Victoria and Daniel live in great state with masses of servants in their daily lives, but it's always good to get Royal children used to the sort of things other children experience. I don't know about waiting in a long queue at a cinema or toy shop though. That might well work for the Scandinavian monarchies but I've got a feeling that the RPOs employed in guarding British royals young and old like them to keep moving when they're on private excursions for security reasons. Also young Scandivian royals aren't haunted by paps in the way members of the BRF are. However, what Daniel proposes for his children will be great for Estelle and eventually Oscar.