The wedding of Viscount Jocelyn RN

Started by LouisFerdinand, September 26, 2016, 11:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Coda Kennedy was Clodagh Rose Kennedy. Viscount Jocelyn was Robert William Jocelyn, 9th Earl of Roden (1909-1993).

Curryong

Who are these people? Never heard of them.

TLLK

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on September 26, 2016, 11:25:57 PM
Robert William Jocelyn, Viscount Jocelyn RN got married at St. Margaret's Church.   
St Margaret's Westminster On Sleeve As St Magarets Westminster (1937) - YouTube
Oh my look at that gown!!! It is stunning. Oh I wish that QEQM had married a little later than the twenties as her gown did little for her figure.

Trudie

Nothing would have flattered the Queen Mother back then she was always rather frumpy looking.

TLLK

I disagree @Trudie. She was a young woman with a very curvy figure who was better suited to an era in which fashions with good tailoring: fitted bodice and a wider skirt would have suited her. Unfortunately 1920's more "boyish" looks were not flattering on her .

The Queen Mother as a Girl: The Upbringing of Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon ? Rebecca Starr Brown

Curryong

The QM wasn't always plump. I have her bio with photos and at the time of her marriage in 1923 and for several years afterwards she was petite and quite slender. She also had lovely blue eyes, dark hair and a nice complexion.

It was only in the mid 1930s that she really put on weight. Even then she looked very nice on a State visit to Paris, where, because of mourning for her recently deceased mother, she wore only white. A crinoline style evening gown she wore there became famous and was admired.

The very loose shapeless fashions of the early 1920s with dropped waists and extra layers wouldn't have flattered most women IMO, even the tall and slender. There are photos of people like Wallis Simpson around from this period and even she, who really suited that sleek greyhound look of the 1930s, just looks very ordinary until later on in the 1920s, when skirts became shorter and clothing more in proportion. Early 1920s fashion was quite frankly unflattering, and those bathing cap headdresses, brides, including Elizabeth, wore for their weddings made the look twice as bad.