Duchess of Cambridge - Malta Visit

Started by cinrit, July 06, 2014, 01:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macrobug

Quote from: tiaras on August 23, 2014, 05:47:26 PM
Yup william and harry make witty jokes , kate on the other hand  :angel:
Ross Lydall - Hirsutes you, sir! Kate puzzled by War Horse actor's close shave : Ross Lydall | Blogs | Evening Standard
here is the article .^
And Tom Hiddleston is a Cambridge graduate , he studied at Eton alongside william and harry , he comes from the same walk of life that kate does . Its almost embarrassing .

Double post auto-merged: August 23, 2014, 05:53:13 PM

Well Tom Hiddleston is a Cambridge graduate so talking to her must have been    :random39:
In an interview recently when asked about William and Kate (as he has been playing Henry V on the BBC) he said in a dead pan tone "God Save The Queen" which is made all the more intriguing as he went to Eton with William.

The recent centerpoint gala which kate didnt attend surprisingly didnt invite him but only invited Benedict Cumberbach fellow eton grad ...

A little unfair, don't you think, to form a negative opinion based on a third hand report of a private conversation........
GNU Terry Pratchett

tiaras

That's what the actor chose to speak about when asked about her at the premier so its not a private conversation  :shrug: and he clearly said he had no idea what they thought of the movie  :notamused:
So far this man has been very courteous and polite when referring to people he has met but this was a very different encounter .
She doesn't come off well in a lot of conversations , this was just an example there are a lot more gaffes and silly things shes said and its not the silliness that makes it embarrassing , its her childish responses , its like the lights are on but nobody's home when she speaks imo  :censored2:

Limabeany

Since no one here is with the royals on such occasions that is what we all do at the Forum, a positive opinion is no more fair or unfair than a negative one. Anyone who is speaking with someone else is free to form their own opinion based on that exchange, I don't see why that is less fair than those who say talking with her felt like the second coming. The same is true for anyone reading about the exchange.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

tiaras

Quote from: cinrit on August 23, 2014, 06:44:59 PM
What's wrong with her telling someone that she didn't recognize him with facial hair? :hmm:

Cindy

That's not the only thing , I singled it out because she starts with ' oh now I recognize you ' which imo was foolish and the actor could've been offended (anyone could have)  unless she is his best friend thats not a very well mannered way to talk to someone .

And since that is her "job" rolls eyes she should be able to speak properly .

second thing was how it sounded as if she was thinking out loud , not even taking into consideration he's standing in front of her like oh you have facial hair lol . It certainly doesnt make her look  intelligent .
How about some professionalism , compliment his acting , the movie was very deep and touching , she could have hit on any of those points .
I dread to think of how she will interact with foreign dignitaries on her own without william  :P

DaisyMeRollin

Quote from: amabel on August 23, 2014, 08:09:00 AM
it does nto MATTER what she does, her tittle is now Duchess of Cambridge and its rude not to use it.

Have to agree with HG here.

Why be offended by someone not using a title? I can see the annoyance when it comes to MDs, PHDs, CEO, CFO, etc., because that is indicative of a real-world hierarchy of education level and/or business.

Why put emphasis on an defunct hierarchy? I don't get it. Can we all have titles? I call dibs on Princess Pia Paloma Pumpernickle of Prussia and Pomerania! Same effect. There's no real value in a title unless you're under the impression that it means something today. It seems to me, that this may as well be Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus mentality. If you believe in it, it exists! Voila! If you don't, the world just keeps on spinning, doesn't it?
"No one is dumb who is curious. The people who don't ask questions remain clueless throughout their lives." - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

HistoryGirl

^I suppose that is the difference. I've personally never been able to support the mentality of "oh they're royal, it's their right to have this or be called that." I've accepted that they exist, but the special treatment is just not something I'm personally prepared to give.

DaisyMeRollin

Again, I agree with you. I this there is a disconnect among people by the measures of their individual evaluations of people in the RF.

Person X: Evaluates the subject of interest du jour solely as a person.

Person Y: Evaluates the subject of interest du jour with a preconditioned notion of elevated status.
"No one is dumb who is curious. The people who don't ask questions remain clueless throughout their lives." - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

cinrit

Quote from: tiaras on August 23, 2014, 08:07:24 PM
That's not the only thing , I singled it out because she starts with ' oh now I recognize you ' which imo was foolish and the actor could've been offended (anyone could have)  unless she is his best friend thats not a very well mannered way to talk to someone .

Sorry, I still don't see the problem.  If he was offended by something like that, he maybe needs a thicker skin. :shrug:

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

amabel

Quote from: HistoryGirl on August 23, 2014, 08:32:34 PM
^I suppose that is the difference. I've personally never been able to support the mentality of "oh they're royal, it's their right to have this or be called that." I've accepted that they exist, but the special treatment is just not something I'm personally prepared to give.
its not a matter of their being royal.  Its a courtesy you should extend to anyone, calling them by their proper name or title.

KaTerina Montague

I believe history girl is saying that some title, ie Dr or Mr. President, is more important to her to use than those that havent been earned. The system of nobility and royalty is not bought into by many and many don't care to adhere to rules that they don't believe in. It may he a courtesy and I assume many people show that courtesy when they meet a member of the RF, but not bothering to do so in print.  Plus I have always seen DOC used in articles that still refer to her as Kate Middleton.

Double post auto-merged: August 23, 2014, 10:01:48 PM

I have never seen Harry have a social tick, but the most famous one I can think of is Charles and his cuff links , I know William has one but I thought he was also a cufflink person but I admit I don't remember to well. Kate's tick is clearly her hair, don't know why it's any more irritating then what Charles does; do any of the other royals have nervous habits?

HistoryGirl

Yes KaTerina, thank you that's what I meant. To me, Kate, Catherine, Duchess, Princess is all the same because what matters to me is what the person does not what titles they have considering it wasn't earned. Like Daisy said, personally I don't see her as elevated because she is a 'duchess'.

And as far as the Tom Hiddleston comment, I thought it funny because he sounded amused that someone would see an actor from a movie and assume he always looks like that, as if she doesn't understand that actors are playing a character and don't always look like that hence the comment about her not hanging around actors much. Her use of the word 'strange' was funny to me too, as if it's 'strange' that a man grows a beard lol she's probably someone that's not great at small talk and just says whatevers in her head at the time, but I thought that a socialite would have more skill at it since going to events is mainly what is done.

PrincessOfPeace

I wouldn't recognise Tom Hiddleston unless he was dressed as Loki and even then I wouldn't care  :lol:

Limabeany

Quote from: cinrit on August 23, 2014, 08:45:48 PM
Quote from: tiaras on August 23, 2014, 08:07:24 PM

Sorry, I still don't see the problem.  If he was offended by something like that, he maybe needs a thicker skin. :shrug:

Cindy
Or she needs better preparation before events?
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

PrincessOfPeace

Maybe Prince Philip can give her some pointers, he doesn't know or care who is talking to half the time and seems to do alright  :lol:

The RIF Twitter feed has some of Phil's best one liners.

wannable

Exactly, I don't see a problem either.  Although most comments of people meeting and greeting, what Kate said seem to be complementary.

HistoryGirl

Ok. But hey as far as I'm concerned, at least the guy works for a living. I don't particularly care if Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn and Lady Carrickfergus actually is good at mingling. But as far as public speaking goes, Her Royal Highness should improve. This solo trip should be good for her; I think it's great that she carve her own niche without HRH The Duke of Cambridge as well as with him. Personally, I'd like to see a good strong role model for young women especially in regards to speaking out over important causes and events.

cinrit

Quote from: HistoryGirl on August 23, 2014, 10:15:27 PM
And as far as the Tom Hiddleston comment, I thought it funny because he sounded amused that someone would see an actor from a movie and assume he always looks like that, as if she doesn't understand that actors are playing a character and don't always look like that hence the comment about her not hanging around actors much. Her use of the word 'strange' was funny to me too, as if it's 'strange' that a man grows a beard lol she's probably someone that's not great at small talk and just says whatevers in her head at the time, but I thought that a socialite would have more skill at it since going to events is mainly what is done. 

I didn't get the impression that she assumed he would always look like he did in the movie; I got the impression that she just didn't recognize him at first and told him why.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

wannable

That's the feeling I also got, thought it to be a normal comment. Anyway it prompted a search, as previously mentioned, there's a lot of complimentary remarks about Kate, from VIPs, charity organizers, and random people.

So not sure if she will be a PP for William, as he is for the Queen. Although William has said she has a great sense of humor.

HistoryGirl

Well that was your impression which is fine; he had his.

Curryong

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on August 23, 2014, 10:25:28 PM
I wouldn't recognise Tom Hiddleston unless he was dressed as Loki and even then I wouldn't care  :lol:

LOL  :clap: Same here!

Double post auto-merged: August 24, 2014, 12:36:23 AM

As far as tics are concerned, I am convinced that Kate's hair-flipping is a sign of nervous tension on her part, and I wish she would wear her hair up more frequently so we wouldn't see it. Charles of course fiddles with his cuff links.

William and Harry often rub their hands together when they arrive for public engagements and Harry has been known to stroke his chest inside his jacket. The Queen's handbag isn't a tic of course, but she does adjust it several times when she's appearing in public.It's probably a comfort thing that she carries it everywhere.

Limabeany

I would like to think adults who take pride in doing a good job would know an actor they are expected to meet at the premiere of his own movie... I wouldn't know him on the street or anywhere else but at the premiere of his own movie in which I am a guest of honor?

tiaras

I'm sad to see this , people are standing on their heads making up different excuses to save their perfect duchess  :hehe: this is so sad ..

Imagine what she must be saying to the obamas and other royals , she isn't coming off as bright .

And another thing putting the actor or individual down to raise kate up is a trend I see .
Btw I doubt he was insulted he mocked her at the end of it slightly . My point that she isnt able to have intelligent conversations with people she meets at her "job" then how is she going to handle this trip all by herself .
Fans better brace themselves for her gaffes  :Jen:

When I go to a premier and if I decide to be the guest of honour and have all the cast and crew in a line like servants to shake hands with me I better know their names darn well or at least do my basic research about the movie....but she made this comment after it was over , the only person kate is hurting is herself and her rep , she has a handful of supporters now  :happycry: and if she has some sense she will try to be more professional .

Curryong

I think we all hope that Kate will become more professional, tiaras, otherwise it will be disastrous.

tiaras

I feel kate wasn't reallly going to amount to thing and carole supported her as much as she could to get married to a man who could care for her  :angel: someone mentioned pippa being the more social one it as HG I think and yeah I agree she and james are very independent , one has his own business the other has worked full time for a company and regularly writes for the party pieces website , they are all ambitious  kate otoh is lost and i really hope for her sake she tries this trip  :angeldevil1: 

Double post auto-merged: August 24, 2014, 07:17:43 AM

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on August 23, 2014, 10:32:18 PM
Maybe Prince Philip can give her some pointers, he doesn't know or care who is talking to half the time and seems to do alright  :lol:

The RIF Twitter feed has some of Phil's best one liners.
edit another reason this royal hoopla should come to an end after the queen  :Jen:

[mod]This comment was edited by a moderator because it didn't abide by our community standards (Rules and Etiquette ). [/mod]

gec

Whilst I have always been critical if Kate's apparent lack of work ethic (pre and post wedding), I do hope that this in an indication of things to come. For this reason I hope that it goes well so that she can continue to build confidence in engagements. This is not to say that she isn't confident, just that these things, like any job, take practice and usually on a regular basis.

I actually think it will be good for Kate to do this without William.  We'll get a better understanding of her as an individual rather than as part of a duo. I think William can come across as a bit stilted, so it'll be interesting to see what Kate is like without him present.