Australia hails princes for support

Started by brittanylala, February 24, 2009, 07:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brittanylala

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gSSDKTGKPY4lbehTBM3xBcGPLExQ

QuoteJohn Dauth thanked the royal brothers for signing a book of condolence for those killed in the infernos that tore through the state of Victoria earlier this month claiming more than 200 lives.

He presented the princes with yellow ribbon badges worn in recent days in Australia as a mark of solidarity with those affected.

The High Commissioner said: "We were delighted their royal highnesses were able to come in, of course it's a sombre occasion but I was very gratified at their sincere expression of condolence.

"They were very keen to know what the latest information was about the fires that are threatening Melbourne ... and what the prospects are for the rest of the week with dry weather forecast.

"They were interested in the flood of mail we've had. Prince William assumed it was from Australians living in Britain, I said it wasn't, a large number of Britons have sent £20 and £50 notes (for those affected)."

Mr Dauth said when he offered the Princes the opportunity to wear the yellow ribbons they were happy to and Harry lightened the mood with a reference to this summer's Ashes cricket tests between Australia and England. He added: "Harry said he would be happy to wear it until the cricket season started."

Hale

I know Princess Anne has gone out to Australia, but wouldn't it be fantastic for both of the princes to pay a visit also.

jolina

I would like to wear  yellow ribbons like willame and henry :)

Stix Chix

Quote from: Hale on February 24, 2009, 11:34:40 PM
I know Princess Anne has gone out to Australia, but wouldn't it be fantastic for both of the princes to pay a visit also.
^agreed.  it's been a long time since they were there.  republicans always kick up a fuss but i bet most Australians would be quietly pleased. ;)

Princes William and Harry have signed the Victorian Bushfire Condolence Book--Herald Sun.au
Princes pay tribute to bushfire victims--The Age.au

Princes William and Harry express sadness at Victoria bush fire toll--The Australian

Royals commemorate wildfire victims--Press Association

QuoteMr Dauth said when he offered the Princes the opportunity to wear the yellow ribbons they were happy to and Harry lightened the mood with a reference to this summer's Ashes cricket tests between Australia and England. He added: "Harry said he would be happy to wear it until the cricket season started."
:teehee:

click here to read the thread about Princess Anne meeting survivors and rescue workers
click here to read the thread about the Queen and Prince Charles' messages to Australia

Harryite #0004

Kate

I did not read the links provided, but IMO, Princess Anne was definitely the one to send for this tragedy.. I think it would be wise also to send Prince William and Prince Harry, at different time, to see what progress has been made to bring this area together and to see and encourgage the families that have to rebuild, from scratch..

These 3, plus the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester (? wrong spelling) are the best royal workers. Also since Prince Andrew goes out and about, it wouldn't hurt him either to go and give support. I realize that I am suggesting money spent by the Royals to visit these places, but it is well worth it, considering the Australian's growing attitude about bringing the country to a republic state!!

Hale

Quote from: Kate on February 25, 2009, 12:31:42 AM
I did not read the links provided, but IMO, Princess Anne was definitely the one to send for this tragedy.. I think it would be wise also to send Prince William and Prince Harry, at different time, to see what progress has been made to bring this area together and to see and encourgage the families that have to rebuild, from scratch..

These 3, plus the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester (? wrong spelling) are the best royal workers. Also since Prince Andrew goes out and about, it wouldn't hurt him either to go and give support. I realize that I am suggesting money spent by the Royals to visit these places, but it is well worth it, considering the Australian's growing attitude about bringing the country to a republic state!!

Kate I agree, furthermore, I believe it would be money well worth spent to send William and Harry.  It should be remembered Australia is an important country in the commonwealth.  It would be a lovely gesture and we should also remember Australia's recent gesture when they made a present to the Queen of a new coach.

Stix Chix

Harryite #0004

sandy

I think it would be great if the brothers went to Australia.WOuldn't mind their visiting the US also.

Jenee

"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Stix Chix

Harryite #0004

Haidee

Quote from: Jenee on February 27, 2009, 03:45:13 AM
They signed a book. :whoopdeedoo:

It still shows support for us Aussies! Australia is close to having another referendum called and it is important that the BRF recognise what happen in Australia. I think they have shown great support ... even if it is just going to the Australian House to sign a condolence book.

I agree .. it is a slow news day but its still good!

MapleLeaf

Here's a video of adorable Wills and handsome Harry signing the Condolence book for the Australian bush fires. 

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/2009/02/24/R24020903/?s=prince+william+2009

:brightside: I'm glad Wills and Harry cared enough to sign the Condolence book and speak to those people about the suffering the Australians have had to deal with.

:( I feel sorry as well for all the pain and suffering the Australian people have had to endure because of those fires, and my heart and prayers are with them.
:happycanada:

Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored.
~Aldous Huxley
:xmas10: