Royal Engagement Portraits : Poignant Portraits of Love

Started by sara8150, December 01, 2017, 11:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

Poignant portraits of love: After Harry and Meghan's charming engagement pictures, a Getty archivist looks back at nine photos from the last 130 years to see how other royal couples captured their own special moment
Getty archivist Matthew Butson on royal engagement photos | Daily Mail Online

Curryong

Regarding the Royal engagement photos, the one featuring Prince Eddy and Mary of Teck was sad because of his early death, but the saddest of all is of Charles and the 19 year old Diana. I never look at that photo or others of the time  without a bitter-sweet feeling.

Jenee

"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Duch_Luver_4ever

Yes, she does, one wonders if it was taken before or after "whatever in loves means" was said.

To be fair she did have plenty of nervous looks before the interview that day. I dont have a link right now for it, but if you saw the Nat Geo documentary, theres a pic of her that looks marvelous, it almost hurts to look at her, she looks so lovely, and hopeful for the future. Even Charles, the perpetual fuddy duddy, looks so young in the pic compared to now, the pic has a poignancy that wouldnt have been known to people at the time, unaware of the turning of events.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Curryong

With regard to Diana's engagement photo and looking uncmfortable, of course it was nerve wracking with the media spotlight at nineteen, but as well as the engagement musings by Charles that day, wasn't it the day when he playfully pinched her waist and said something like 'Getting a little chubby there, are we?'. It was almost certainly a joke by Diana lost so much weight in the months following. So, all in all, the day of the photoshoot was not a happy one

Duch_Luver_4ever

Heres a link to a small version of the pic,(not the best, the doc has it cropped and enlarged, but you all should have the Nat Geo doc anyway, IMO its the second best Diana doc out there, and best one made this year.)

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/18/46/eb/1846eb1654f9b46c969e27fee9e280a8.jpg
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

^^^Loved the color of the engagement suit on Diana. @sandy, @Duch_Luver_4ever, @Trudie, @Curryong-Do any of you know if she ever wore it again in public?

Curryong

I don't think she did. I believed her mother helped her choose it and the blouse on a shopping trip and it may have reflected the older woman's taste. I read that Diana was quite devastated when she saw the newspaper images because she felt she looked large and lumpy. Quite untrue, but she virtually stopped eating and lost a lot of weight. And whether she blamed the suit or no, I don't believe she ever wore it again.

Duch_Luver_4ever

yes, what @Curryong  said @TLLK  Funny story about it, she got it from Harrod's (the irony!) after being chased out of if I recall Belleville Sassoon's place, she came in and the saleslady didnt know who she was, and when Diana was looking through the clothes like a "normal person" thinking she was just a browser, the clerk told her something like she might find Harrods more to her taste. Embarrassed she left the store, and the rest is history.

She did get comments about the suit being too old for her, one wonders if those comments had a part to play in the choosing of the "that dress". She dealt with a lot of harsh comments like that about her dress being too old, and of course Charles comment about her waist...I thought the dress showed she took the situation seriously and was very adult, in case they thought shed show up with her casual Sloane clothes.