Prince Harry & Meghan Markle Wedding St George's Chapel Windsor 19/5/18 - Part 1

Started by TLLK, October 19, 2017, 06:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

:windsor1: :Jen:

Possible wedding venues: Most likely-Westminster Abbey, St. George's Chapel Windsor, Chapel Royal St. James Palace

Not likely-St. Mary Magdalene Sandringham Estate, Craithie Church-Balmoral Estate, wedding outside the UK.

Left field-Anything in Las Vegas, Legoland Windsor :P (Though maybe we'll see a Lego Sculpture!)

WA, SG and CRSJ-London or close to London, site of many royal weddings in the last 200 years, royal burial sites=WA and SG. (Note-Contrary to what some new royal watchers believe, most of Harry's ancestors are not buried at WA. They're at St. George's or Frogmore.  :))

Harry has some flexibility since he's not the direct heir so he won't be required to have foreign royals, UK government and Commonwealth representatives. If rumors are true that he would like a low key, family event then SG or RCSJ could be in the running. (Having recently visited SG, it is IMVHO a much more beautiful building than WA!) However if the BRF and government want to go with a larger venue, than WA is the likely choice. St. Paul's is just too large and far away from BP/Clarence House IMO.)

amabel

It wont be low key.  He's the last big royal to get married for a long time, till George grows up.  Bea and Eug wont have very big weddings.....

TLLK

^^^I agree that whatever rumored wishes that Harry might have won't take precedence over the wishes of those who would like to see a grander affair.

sandy

I think a fuss will also be made of Princess Charlotte, who would be the first senior royal princess to marry since Princess Anne in 1973.

Curryong

I don't think Harry would really like the idea of marrying in Westminster Abbey. If it was his choice (and Meghan's as well, probably) I think he'd opt for some warm and quite private tropical island with family and close friends present and a great party afterwards lasting into the early hours! I think he should get the party, anyway!

Pros for WA are-- beautiful and historic Abbey, in central London, if in summer thousands of tourists about, most of Harry's family in the senior line have been married there. It is of course convenient for BP and the seemingly obligatory balcony kiss, and also for a large wedding breakfast and party afterwards. His extremely elderly grandparents don't have very far to travel from BP. Royal watchers and sections of the public may expect WA.

Cons-- extremely expensive in terms of security and the shutting off of roads in central London, especially if it's a weekday. No public holiday so public, tourists, may be seriously inconvenienced, security, Scotland Yard etc may regard it as a nightmare. WA is huge. Unless you have over a thousand people who must be present at the nuptials then it's too big. Harry's side could probably stretch to 700 or so with cousins, military, charities, Invictus, friends, family friends etc, but Meghan's? Who has around 700 people of their aquaintance close enough to turn up to nuptials even if it is at Westminster Abbey?

St George's Windsor is the most likely other venue, considering Harry's rank.

Pros-- same security and expense issues just smaller in scope, more manageable. Public in central London will not be inconvenienced. Harry, resigned to the fact that his wedding is going to have to have public elements, would probably prefer it. It's a beautiful place, cosy as far as churches go, quite intimate so less trouble filling it. Ability to have a big reception, and perhaps party, at the Castle. Close for grandparents who will probably be at Windsor anyway. As it's Meghan's second marriage some might regard it as more suitable.

Cons--there's a feeling among some royal watchers that St George's is somehow second rate, for second rank royals, which Harry is not. Some Royal watchers might be disappointed. No gathering around Victoria's statue with large crowds of people. No kiss on the balcony. Only a carriage ride around the streets of Windsor.

I do think the royals will opt for St George's and I confess that if they do I will feel a twinge of disappointment. This will be the last big royal wedding for a generation. However, all in all it's probably a better option. Harry however may surprise everyone and choose another locale altogether. Who knows!!

sandy

Second son Andrew got a Westminster Abbey wedding.  Harry is second son of the Prince of Wales. I would not conclude it a smaller venue....yet. I think there will be a balcony kiss. Andrew and Fergie got one.

TLLK

QuotePros-- same security and expense issues just smaller in scope, more manageable. P
:goodpost:@Curryong-Considering the number of terror attacks in the UK and Europe in 2017, I see SG as an excellent choice based on security needs for the BRF and the public. In fact it is the security needs of the public that IMO should be paramount. The BRF and other high profile public figures who may receive an invitation would have their own security, but Windsor's smaller streets would be more easily secured to protect the people who wish to view the couple and the royals as they arrive and depart.

Okay everyone has great thoughts on the subject of a venue. Now would  everyone please participate in the tiara thread. :Jen:

LouisFerdinand

Curryong

Not much. It's too far away from everything. Neither Harry nor Meghan have any connection with York or Yorkshire. The only member of the BRF who married at York Minster in modern times was the Duke of Kent, who married Kate Worsley there fifty five years ago, and that was only because her father was a major land owner and the Worsleys were an old County family.

tiaras

TLLK

FanDianaFancy

When Bea and Eug get married...whenever that will because neither girl seems in a rush. Andrew and Sarah will want and demand nothing less than QEIis coronation and PC and Diana's wedding combined.

Lol, it won't be because, popular opinion and economy, come on...no way.

PH is 2nd son of PC, the heir, but times have changed drastically since Andrew and Sarah married.

MM was married before. Legally married and legally divorced. PH and his heirs will not  be the heirs.
Poor MM comes with some controversary. Unfairly so.

I predict PH and MM will marry on a smaller scale like PE and Sophie . Like Zara and Tindall.
It would be, my opinion, more serious, economy and subjects aware, politically correct, and more. No heads of state, zEuro royalty, etc  , well maybe yes, Euro royalty being 3-5, 6 etc. cousins.

dianab

amabel

Why?  He's still the future Kings second son, and entitled to a reasonable amount iof "grandeur" at his wedding.

TLLK

^^^I believe that TPTB The Powers That Be will make the decision for the venue based upon: 1. Security needs and the cost for added security. 2. Is it going to be a bank holiday. 3. Size of guest list 4. Tradition 5. The couple's wishes.

psm

I've speculated that since MM is a divorcee, the wedding would be a lower key one, that she may even opt not to wear a full wedding gown. That is the tradition and I know modern ways dictate something else, but BRF is not modern.

Now I've read that the similar line of thinking is being pushed. I don't know if it's speculative or whether KP is leaking.

I think a lower key ceremony would be fitting, as per tradition. Also the fact that this wedding is really not a priority in the midst of Brexit negotiations and recent multiple terrorist attacks. W&K married when things were looking good in the UK, a year before London hosted the Olympics.

However, I would regret not seeing Doria at the BP balcony. I would hate it if racists interpret this as confirmation of MM's lower status or something.

Seeing a mixed race royal bride and her African American mother at the BP balcony would mean a lot to minorities and people who have been protesting and been active against the rise of racism in this past year.

So, we'll see.

sandy

She will wear a wedding gown. IMO

As the second son he won't get a low key wedding.

LouisFerdinand

Let us say that the Royal Wedding will be at Westminster Abbey. However, what is the month of the wedding?

TLLK

^^^A month that doesn't have an incoming state/official visit or sees the groom's paternal grandparents and father/step-mother on any overseas' visits right before the wedding. There are many calendars that have to be checked before a date can be determined.

Not likely to be in January or August as QEII is either at Sandringham or Balmoral. I'm thinking 2018- late spring or early summer or fall.

dianab

Quote from: sandy on October 22, 2017, 10:06:18 PM
She will wear a wedding gown. IMO

As the second son he won't get a low key wedding.
if they marry at St. George's Chapel, it'll be low key

Curryong

The ceremony will almost certainly be televised and the media will be reporting on it for days before, during and after. In spite of St George's not being WA it's still quite a large building, home of the Garter Knights and full of history. Nobody was interested in Ed and Sophie when they married there but it will be a different story if Harry and Meghan decide on St George's.

TLLK

^^^ @Curryong-I believe that some find the name is misleading. St. George's Chapel seems to imply that this is a small building. As you and I know it is not because it can see up to 800 guests. There are parish churches throughout the UK that are far smaller than SGC.

St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle - Wikipedia,_Windsor_Castle

LouisFerdinand

FanDianaFancy

She is Black American.  Ok, I heard it the first 25 times the media will say it over and over again during the first 30 mins of the wedding.  I am not slamming anyone here.

I really hope , for her sake, it is like Ed-Sophie, Zara-Mike, even PC and CPB.
  I hope her side of her trashy "family" is not included.

They will run her in the ground before, during , and after.

I just came from looking at TDailyM.  👿80 It had to do a genealogy on her with sublimely emphasis of saying she is not good enough.

The posts, omg....simply vile!!!

I wish her the best. PH will , with TPTB, really work with her and shield her for years to keep her focused and away from the people's comments and media cruxification of her.

The goal by the media and people are to rip her to shreds. Very very very sad.  Best to her. May she be thick skinned, above it all, and blessed.  This poor girl is a lamb off to slaughter.

I am for her and PH, but it is going to be so hard for for at least ten years.