King Carl XIV Johan of Sweden

Started by LouisFerdinand, October 21, 2016, 07:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

When Jean Baptiste Bernadotte was adopted by King Carl XIII of Sweden, did he keep his previous title of Prince of Ponte Corvo?

LouisFerdinand

Baron Carl Otto Morner was convinced that in order to secure Sweden's independent future, it needed to be ruled by a military man. He approached Jean Baptiste with an offer of the Swedish crown.

LouisFerdinand

Emperor Napoleon I of the French declared that the elevation of Marshal Bernadotte to the throne of Sweden, the placing of a commoner on a throne, was "an injustice to crowned heads".

LouisFerdinand

Bernadotte refused to assist Bonapart's coup d'etat that ended the Directory but neither did he defend it. He was a councillor of state from 1800 to 1802.

LouisFerdinand

King Carl XIV Johan had only one son, Crown Prince Oscar. Before Crown Prince Oscar married, who was the heir to the throne after Prince Oscar?

Curryong

There probably wasn't any heir presumptive. This was a very new dynasty (they certainly couldn't have selected another Benadotte which was the usual solution when a Royal line was in danger)  and Crown Prince Oscar was encouraged to marry early. Luckily he had a large family. If he had remained childless then the Swedes would probably have asked a Prince from among the Great Powers of the time or German royal Houses to accept the throne after Oscar.

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on August 27, 2019, 01:11:12 AM
There probably wasn't any heir presumptive. This was a very new dynasty (they certainly couldn't have selected another Benadotte which was the usual solution when a Royal line was in danger)  and Crown Prince Oscar was encouraged to marry early. Luckily he had a large family. If he had remained childless then the Swedes would probably have asked a Prince from among the Great Powers of the time or German royal Houses to accept the throne after Oscar.
They were lucky really.. as Carl Johan and Desiree had only produced one child and were separated a lot. 

Curryong

Yes, they were lucky. Of course as Desiree couldn't speak Swedish, hated the climate, and loved Paris I suppose it wasn't surprising that Charles and Desiree had only the one child. She disappeared from Sweden for about a decade, highly unusual for a Queen Consort!

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on August 27, 2019, 07:27:09 AM
Yes, they were lucky. Of course as Desiree couldn't speak Swedish, hated the climate, and loved Paris I suppose it wasn't surprising that Charles and Desiree had only the one child. She disappeared from Sweden for about a decade, highly unusual for a Queen Consort!
She was pretty eccentric.. and I think that the chances of tehm having more children were almost non existent...