Harry and William sound byte

Started by Liv Jones, July 12, 2003, 09:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixie

In the UK public schools, fee-paying ones, got that name because they were supposed to prepare their students - future peers, generally - for public life.  Although this now seems to not make sense, they are privately run, afterall, the tradition and name of "public" has  stuck.  They may also be called private schools, referring, of course, to the fact that these schools are privately run.  I believe, although I'm not sure, that non-fee-paying schools are called "comprehensives" or "state schools"

In the US, fee-paying schools are called private schools or independent schools.  Ones which don't require a fee and are state run are called public.

(I know this is what you've already said, but I thought I'd sum it up and tell people where the seemingly illogical practice of calling privately run schools "public" in the UK came from)
We always take a great deal of interest in American initiatives that are implicitly religious; we view them as an exotic quirk, like French presidents and their mistresses, or Austrians and their fascists.
-Zoe Williams

foxy lady rocks!

you are very correct! i couldnt put it better myself!

foxy lady rocks!

The lady in that sound byte seems to have a good english accent.  Its very posh!

Swooshy

This is how it goes....

Woman: You're hair is in bad form.
William: [enunciated deep voice] Shut up.
[giggles of laughter from her, them, and a few others]
Woman: [facetiously] You're hair is in GREAT form!
Harry: [Nasely boyish voice] Shu' up!
Life sucks. Then you get a dog.

FetchingHag

so rude :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  
Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm-Churchill

Don't worry about things that could happen, worry about things when they happen-Unknown

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which

foxy lady rocks!

tkampenhout

I think that the sound byte is funny.

foxy lady rocks!

same!  he sounds so embarrassed when he says shut up!lol

Liv Jones

foxy lady rocks!