The Hanovers 1714-1901

Started by Windsor, April 15, 2006, 06:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windsor

Harry2me4ever

Why is he your fav Windsor? Could you tell us sth about him coz I personally haven't heard of him. :blush:

T125eagle

why wouldnt you call him the best of kings? he lead Great Britain through the UK. of course, he wasnt raised or prepared for the job. i think he did a right marvelous job of it. especially on the public speaking front. he always had problems with his stutter...
Philipite #001 Duke of Windsor ite #001;Harryite # 0028

heather

George was a very popular young Prince of Wales, but as he grew older his lifestyle, his enormous appetite for decadent food and large older ladies and his outrageous spending  habits changed public opinion.
Fruit and rubbish were thrown at his carriage when he went out and about. He did little to endear himself to his subjects when his obvious hatred for his wife Caroline of Brunswick resulted in her being barred from the coronation and subjected to a public trial regarding "her"infidelaties.......a bit like the pot calling the kettle black really.
  When their only child, Charlotte died in childbirth after days of very hard labour, he did not come down from a hunting estate, which caused him to be even more despised by his people.
       It would seem he has much in common with the present Prince of Wales, living extravagantly, treating his wife pretty shabbily and generally acting like a pompous, spoiled man who has no clue about how to woo his subjects.
          Heather

Wombat

Quote from: T125eagle on April 17, 2006, 03:32:33 PM
why wouldnt you call him the best of kings? he lead Great Britain through the UK. of course, he wasnt raised or prepared for the job. i think he did a right marvelous job of it. especially on the public speaking front. he always had problems with his stutter...
I think you're thinking of George VI..the Queens dad :) This is George IV.

QuoteIt would seem he has much in common with the present Prince of Wales, living extravagantly, treating his wife pretty shabbily and generally acting like a pompous, spoiled man who has no clue about how to woo his subjects.
I often like to compare Charles to Edward VIII..mainly because of their desire for ugly women <_<

But I think Charles is typical of the spoilt..aloof and out of touch second in lines that have occurred through out history.  That's why perhaps they shouldn't automatically become monarch :)

heather

Quote from: wombat on April 24, 2006, 06:34:51 AM
I think you're thinking of George VI..the Queens dad :) This is George IV.
I often like to compare Charles to Edward VIII..mainly because of their desire for ugly women <_<

But I think Charles is typical of the spoilt..aloof and out of touch second in lines that have occurred through out history.  That's why perhaps they shouldn't automatically become monarch :)

Wombat,
                I couldn't agree more! :)
Jolly well put!
                  Heather :yay:

Wombat

Seriously..it's almost like they're molded into something really abnormal.  They don't act like future monarchs (with the exception of The Queen).  It's like they're born into a world of their own..where everyone says yes to them and they are always right.  Thank god QEII broke that mold...only to have it reform for Charles (and possibly Wills by the look of it) :unsure:

heather

Quote from: wombat on April 25, 2006, 06:32:22 AM
Seriously..it's almost like they're molded into something really abnormal.  They don't act like future monarchs (with the exception of The Queen).  It's like they're born into a world of their own..where everyone says yes to them and they are always right.  Thank god QEII broke that mold...only to have it reform for Charles (and possibly Wills by the look of it) :unsure:

Too True Wombat,
                                the sychophants come out of the woodwork and lay on the flattery with a trowel, this goes on for years and years and does untold damage to a future King's perception of himself, the nation and his place in it all.
                                 Mayhap part of the education of a future King should include courses on how to spot sychophants, also how the other half lives and how to live within a budget.
      I think perhaps Diana was trying to do that when she took to boys to homeless shelters and made them get in the line up at McDonalds etc.
                                      Heather :)

snokitty

King William IV ? The Forgotten Hanoverian
King George I, King George II, King George III, King George IV and Queen Victoria. All Hanoverian Monarchs of the United Kingdom but the House of Hanover also presented us with another King – William IV. He may not have brought the Hanoverians to Britain like his great-grandfather or had the lengthy reign like his father and his niece but he was King nonetheless, a King whose reign saw immense reform in Britain and the ascendency of the House of Commons. In short William IV had a short but eventful reign and it is here we tell the story of the 'Sailor King'.

Most of William's early life was spent either at Richmond Palace or Kew Palace where private tutors educated him. At the early age of thirteen, William joined the Royal Navy as a midshipman and was present for the Battle of Cape St Vincent in 1780 during the American War of Independence. Not only this but, during the war he also served in New York.  Whilst serving in New York Prince William (as he was known then) was embroiled in a plot to kidnap him, approved by the first President of the USA George Washington. Thankfully the plot did not come to fruition – after the British learnt of the plot, many guards were assigned to the Prince who had until that time freely walked the streets of New York alone. In 1785 William became a Lieutenant and the following year was made Captain of HMS Pegasus.  The same year he was stationed in the West Indies under Horatio Nelson, William and Horatio became great friends and dined together nightly, William even insisted on giving Nelson's bride away at his wedding! William was given command of the frigate HMS Andromeda in 1788.

In 1820 William's Father King George III died and his elder brother the Prince Regent became King George IV. William was now second in the line of succession placed only behind his brother Frederick Duke of York. This was now a time when the prospect of William becoming King was high, both the King and Frederick had no legitimate issue to succeed them and both were very unhealthy men. When the Duke of York died in 1827, William who was over sixty years old, became heir presumptive. Also, in 1827 William was made Lord High Admiral by the incoming Prime Minister George Canning. Whilst in office William had repetitive conflicts with his Council, which was composed of Admiralty officers. These conflicts finally came to a head in 1828 when William was put to sea with a fleet of ships, leaving no clue as to where they were going and remaining away for ten days. These actions caused the King (through the new Prime Minister Arthur Wellesley) to request his resignation as Lord High Admiral, with which William complied. The remaining time of King George IV's reign, William spent in the House of Lords where he supported the Catholic emancipation bill against the opposition of his younger brother Ernest Augustus. While William was serving in the House of Lords, the King's health continued to deteriorate and it was obvious that the King was nearing death. No matter what genuine affection William felt for George, as his brother and as King, this could not hide the rising anticipation William felt for the fact that he would soon be King.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

LouisFerdinand

In 1689 James II landed in Ireland with a force of French soldiers. I like the fact that William III personally took command of his army to defeat his father-in-law's forces.     
:duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel:

LouisFerdinand

When Earl Grey asked King William IV to create enough new peers to stack the House of Lords with reformers, William refused to take that step. The King accepted the resignations of Earl Grey's cabinet in protest.

LouisFerdinand

The coronation robe of King George IV was sixteen feet in length.   
George IV coronation robe - YouTube

Curryong

Well, King George IV was a vain old tart. He channeled Liberace in the elaborate nature of the clothing and regalia he personally designed for himself and his retinue for his Coronation.

Medievalism was all the rage then and the outfits reflected that. In so many ways George was a very silly man. He spent hundreds of thousands of pounds at the flick of an eyelash at a time when people could quite literally die of starvation and exposure on the streets and the U.K. was struggling out of post war depression after the defeat of Napoleon. 

Duch_Luver_4ever

He also has the dubious distinction of being the "reason" the royal marriages act was created....
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

royalanthropologist

There is one big difference between Charles Windsor and his predecessor Princes of Wales (Edward and George). Charles is not a slacker or indolent. Yes he does spend a lot but also does earn a lot. He has changed a ceremonial role of idleness into one that actually helps many, many people. He found a Duchy of Cornwall that was in the red by up to $15 million. He now regularly earns profits in excess of $40 million per year from that Duchy. His charitable interests and projects are even more substantial.  I believe that attempts to link him to previous princes of wales are far-fetched. The only similarity is that is in having mistresses, even then Charles is at the bottom of the league in terms of sheer numbers.

As for mistreating his wife, Diana was nowhere as hated by her husband or as mistreated as Caroline of Brunswick. She was given a house of her own and a substantial allowance, something Caroline never got.  I think there is always a temptation to sensationalize what was a bad marriage into some kind of epic tragedy of evil.  Diana was not an abused wife and certainly did not experience the hardships that abused wives face. Her own mother had a far worse time than she ever did.

As for tastes in ugly women...that is a matter of taste. In any case looks are not everything...as Diana tragically learnt. You need a lot more than good looks to sustain a relationship, let alone a marriage. 
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

amabel

God what absolute nonsene,.  what on earth has Charles got to do with George IV?
And in his defence. whiel he wasn't a good husband to Caroline, she was hardly queen material.  True he only spent a few nights with her, but other than that I don't know of his ill treating her as such.  He left her alone mostly and he refused to allow her to be crowned with him.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Hold your fire....I wasnt trying to link him to Charles at all, I didnt even mention Charles. Although I did learn that fact in a doc about royal lovers, marriages, etc. that of course did have C&C&D in it. As one follows the doc, one can see he made a bit of bother for Princess Margaret.
Royal Lovers - Camilla, Diana and Charles Documentary Documentary 2017 - YouTube

But if you watch it, you will see a general theme of similarity between Edward VII, Edward VIII, and Charles. I guess one could say George IV had the overall royal entitlement and poor marriage decisions that the monarch has to rescue with a monetary payout, so I guess there are some similarities to Charles.

Thanks for reminding me, I forgot about that part.  :lol:
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

royalanthropologist

I think the posts were related to Heather's earlier post not to @Duch_Luver_4ever.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Duch_Luver_4ever

im not sure if shes still around to hear it the post was about 10 yrs old. I guess not a lot of call to shoot the breeze about George IV  :lol:

Curryong

It's a good job for all concerned that for his Coronation, King Charles won't be having fashionable herbs-women throwing petals or Privy Councilors dressed in the style of Queen Elizabeth's day. (Or that, from Charles POV, unlike Caroline, that Diana won't be banging on the closed Abbey doors.) The whole thing cost an absolute fortune and of course George was in his element. (His widowed son in law Leopold was present.)

George IV’s Coronation |

LouisFerdinand

@Curryong, It was informative to learn that Prince Leopold was in attendance at his father-in-law's coronation. This is the first time I had learned this.

Curryong

Yes, I hadn't really thought about that, LF. However, Leopold did hang around in Britain for a very long time, (though no doubt going on regular visits to Coburg through the years.) Financially he was in receipt of a large allowance from parliament and the sympathy of the British people. If the relationship between himself and his father in law was rather cool (absolutely nothing in common) I doubt it bothered either of them much.

He stayed around in fact until he was offered the throne of the Belgians. He seems to have been very fond of his sister Victoire and little niece Victoria, and was able to help them financially. His sister must have been very grateful.

amabel

well he had nothing much to do, had he other than live on the vast allowance.  I don't really expect him to give it up, Royals didn't do tat in his day....

LouisFerdinand

When William IV was still Prince William, he asked his father for a dukedom and the parliamentary grant that would come with it. His older brother Prince Frederick was Duke of York. George III refused. William threatened to stand for a seat in the House of Commons. King George conceded. William was made Duke of Clarence in 1789.

LouisFerdinand

In 1836 King William IV asked the Duchess of Kent and Princess Victoria to come to Windsor Castle to celebrate Queen Adelaide's birthday on August 13. He wanted them to stay over until the 21st, which was his own birthday.     
:bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: