Dickie Arbiter's Book: on His Time w/Prince Charles, Diana & Other Royals

Started by Limabeany, August 03, 2014, 10:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Out of curiosity does anyone know how many of these types of  books on the BRF have been banned in the UK?

KaTerina Montague

Quote from: amabel on August 17, 2014, 05:21:05 PM
Quote from: KaTerina Montague on August 17, 2014, 04:06:46 PM
The Jephson book needed a serious editor and rewrite, darn thing jumped all over the place. I guess the only way the member of the RF can prevent tell all books is if they outlive everyone they know or who has worked for them.
Charles deliberately spilled his gust and Diana did the same, quite convenient to forget her personal tell all. And it doesn't matter if she didn't t mean for those tapes to be released,  what she talked about doing on them was immature among many other things.
I wouldn't say that Charles "spilled his guts".  he was certainly too open about his marriage, but he didn't say nearly as much to Dimbelby as Di said to Morton or Settelen. I agree obviously she didn't intend them for public consumption,but they weren't the sort of stuff that any sensible person would tell except to a close firend or a therapist or professional of some kind.
and the official secrets act IS supposed to protect the Royals form their employees writing books.

I've never read the Charles biography so I honestly donot know what he said or how much he said. I haven't read the Morton book in years, since I jumped off the diana was a saint train.

SophieChloe

If Charles does not want to read bad things about him...then HE should have behaved better!  Go on Dickie!

Talk about  rubbish-footing around this pampered Prince... :ahhh:
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

KaTerina Montague

Quote from: TLLK on August 18, 2014, 02:39:29 PM
Out of curiosity does anyone know how many of these types of  books on the BRF have been banned in the UK?

I only know of the Kitty Kelly book that was banned.

SophieChloe

sandy

Quote from: KaTerina Montague on August 18, 2014, 10:43:54 PM
Quote from: amabel on August 17, 2014, 05:21:05 PM
Quote from: KaTerina Montague on August 17, 2014, 04:06:46 PM
The Jephson book needed a serious editor and rewrite, darn thing jumped all over the place. I guess the only way the member of the RF can prevent tell all books is if they outlive everyone they know or who has worked for them.
Charles deliberately spilled his gust and Diana did the same, quite convenient to forget her personal tell all. And it doesn't matter if she didn't t mean for those tapes to be released,  what she talked about doing on them was immature among many other things.
I wouldn't say that Charles "spilled his guts".  he was certainly too open about his marriage, but he didn't say nearly as much to Dimbelby as Di said to Morton or Settelen. I agree obviously she didn't intend them for public consumption,but they weren't the sort of stuff that any sensible person would tell except to a close firend or a therapist or professional of some kind.
and the official secrets act IS supposed to protect the Royals form their employees writing books.

I've never read the Charles biography so I honestly donot know what he said or how much he said. I haven't read the Morton book in years, since I jumped off the diana was a saint train.

The book is an eye opener. When I read it a second time (just last year) it seemed he was even harsher with his parents. I did not notice anybody on the threads (even her fans) calling Diana a Saint.

cinrit

Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

sandy

Dimbleby actually used Morton's book as  a reference. Even Carolyn Bartholomew's quotes were used. But the most shocking part was Charles via his biographer slamming his parents and collecting it seemed every grievance he had from young childhood on.

HistoryGirl

TLLK

Thank you Katerina and Sophie Chloe for sharing your answers. I'd read before that some were banned in the UK.

Lady Adams

Quote from: HistoryGirl on August 18, 2014, 11:06:02 PM
It genuinely frightens me that books can be banned.
It is frightening. Other countries do it too, and not just for books... and let me tell you-- nothing I hate more than reading a magazine that has been blacked out!
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

HistoryGirl

I can't even believe it would occur in seemingly democratic country. I just can't.

sandy

I am wondering why Kitty Kelly's book was banned yet Lady Colin Campbell's book about the Queen Mother (which claimed she was the illegitimate daughter the result of a liaison her father had with a cook among other rather bizarre contentions) did not. Kelly also had the same story about the Queen Mum but Lady C. did not get banned.

SophieChloe

Quote from: HistoryGirl on August 19, 2014, 12:24:37 AM
I can't even believe it would occur in seemingly democratic country. I just can't.
Unbelievable, hey?

TLLK

Quote from: Lady Adams on August 19, 2014, 12:21:06 AM
Quote from: HistoryGirl on August 18, 2014, 11:06:02 PM
It genuinely frightens me that books can be banned.
It is frightening. Other countries do it too, and not just for books... and let me tell you-- nothing I hate more than reading a magazine that has been blacked out!
Out of curiosity which country were you visiting when you read this magazine? This sounds like war time censorship.  :o

Curryong

Quote from: sandy on August 19, 2014, 12:26:42 AM
I am wondering why Kitty Kelly's book was banned yet Lady Colin Campbell's book about the Queen Mother (which claimed she was the illegitimate daughter the result of a liaison her father had with a cook among other rather bizarre contentions) did not. Kelly also had the same story about the Queen Mum but Lady C. did not get banned.

Connections in high places? (I don't mean the royal family but in government circles.)

I have to say, I can't stand Lady Colin. She seems to get hold of the most grotesque gossip and run with it. The Queen Mother reputedly had the same colouring as her mother, Lady Strathmore, and often in these huge Victorian families there would be one or two late births.

Canuck

Quote from: HistoryGirl on August 19, 2014, 12:24:37 AM

Well, it's not that books are banned per se -- just that the authors choose not to publish there because they'd be subject to lawsuits if they did.  I don't really see the problem with that.  If someone libels you, you should be able to sue; if someone breaches a confidentiality agreement they signed, ditto. 

HistoryGirl

Yeah, we've discussed this topic before. Sorry we just don't have the same values when it comes to that. Agree to disagree.

Canuck

We may disagree on whether it's right or wrong, but I wanted to clarify the facts -- people were talking like the government was banning books, which isn't what's happening.

HistoryGirl

You can say whatever you'd like.

Double post auto-merged: August 19, 2014, 04:57:00 AM

For some reason, Charles has always struck me as a very whiny man.

Curryong

Quote from: HistoryGirl on August 19, 2014, 04:22:27 AM

Not just you! The wells of self-pity in Charles's persona have always been full to overflowing, IMO. He also seems to have a distressing tendency to blame others for his own mistakes.

HistoryGirl

^Yeah, I can't handle individuals like that. It's pathetic and spineless. It's ridiculous for me to think that since I don't know him, but that's my impression.

tiaras

Quote from: Curryong on August 19, 2014, 05:30:34 AM
Quote from: HistoryGirl on August 19, 2014, 04:22:27 AM

Not just you! The wells of self-pity in Charles's persona have always been full to overflowing, IMO. He also seems to have a distressing tendency to blame others for his own mistakes.

I agree with both of you  :nod:

KaTerina Montague

Just to clarify are certain books banned or just not published in certain places.

DaisyMeRollin

An institution that is tongue in cheekly referred to as "The Firm" should not feel entitled to employee confidentiality or loyalty if they're not willing to set a standard of good morale among their employees. They are not above reproach, despite what others may insist.

Monarchy, as an extension of government and the church, should always be evaluated by the same regulatory cheques and balances of corporations and government. If that mean insider information is leaked, so be it. Granted, there will inevitably be a slant, especially in terms of a first-hand, singular account of the details, I really don't think this more abhorrent, ethically speaking, than the wire-tapping exposes of the 1990s during The War of the Wales's or the recent phone hacking incidents. People can make up their own minds as to Arbiter's perspective.

As for legal repercussions, "Nothing to hide, nothing to fear," seems apt to this situation.

Also, it's been many moons ago, but LOLKittyKelly! An interpretation of the Windsors that may as well be a dollar bin buy. Paperback smut "writer". 
"No one is dumb who is curious. The people who don't ask questions remain clueless throughout their lives." - Neil DeGrasse Tyson