Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany

Started by LouisFerdinand, February 24, 2016, 01:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

The Emperor of Germany and Prince Wilhelm in the First World War.     
Kaiser Wilhelm II and the Crown Prince prepare for battle during World War I in G...HD Stock Footage - YouTube     
:mil5: :mil5: :mil5: :hide: :hide: :shame: :mil5: :mil5:

LouisFerdinand

Wilhelm II: What did he do in the First World War? 
                                          Kaiser Wilhelm II - The Last German Emperor I WHO DID WHAT IN WW1? - YouTube

Jennifer

[mod]I merged three different threads about Emperor Wilhelm II together. [/mod] 
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

LouisFerdinand

Wilhelm II opened a new Olympic stadium.   
                       Kaiser Wilhelm II arrives to officially open Germany's new Olympic Stadium near B...HD Stock Footage - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

In 1871 King Wilhelm I of Prussia became Emperor of Germany. Both Prussian and German sovereignties were lost in 1918 at the end of the First World War. Would it have been possible for Wilhelm II to reign only as King of Prussia in 1918 and after?

LouisFerdinand

Prince Albert I of Monaco liked when Emperor Wilhelm II visited him. On the several occasions when Wilhelm's imperial yacht dropped anchor outside Monaco, Albert went aboard. The two men spent the day in talk of ships and seas and the ancient mariners who had navigated them.

LouisFerdinand

Curryong

^ Wilhelm II only lived in the Netherlands through the courtesy of their government and Queen which had given him sanctuary in 1918. He was told to stay in and around his home and grounds, though his wife and sons were permitted to travel on occasions. Just after the War the Allies (primarily the French and British)  suggested putting the Kaiser on trial for war crimes (a move that would have had huge approval from their populations) but the Dutch refused to let him go. He died while the Netherlands was under Nazi occupation in the Second World War.

LouisFerdinand

Kaiser Wilhelm II glorified in Germany's military strength and delighted in the prospect of a big navy as well as a magnificent army.

LouisFerdinand

Emperor Wilhelm II overruled Admiral von Tirpitz. Wilhelm prevented the implementation of the Admiral's plans to engage the German Royal Navy in large-scale battle at the beginning of the First World War.

LouisFerdinand

In the very first few months of his reign, Wilhelm II made a visit with his navy to St. Petersburg, went to Sweden and Denmark, and then in October passed through Austria, called on Emperor Franz Joseph en route for visits to the King of Italy and the Pope in Rome.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Emperor Wilhelm II and Empress Augusta Victoria being received by Pope Leo XIII in the Vatican in 1893.   
Emperor William II of Germany and Empress Augusta Victoria being... News Photo | Getty Images

LouisFerdinand

Emperor Wilhelm II and King George V of Great Britain leaving Potsdam to attend a review of the troops in 1913.   
King George V and Kaiser Wilhelm II leaving Potsdam to attend a Stock Photo: 29736439 - Alamy

LouisFerdinand

Wilhelm II's abdication in 1918 was actually announced before he had consented to it.

LouisFerdinand

After his education at Kassel, Wilhelm spent four terms at the University of Bonn. He studied law and politics. He became a member of Corps Borussia Bonn. This is a German Student Corps at the University of Bonn.   

:booknerd: :booknerd: :booknerd: :booknerd:

LouisFerdinand

In the First World War, Wilhelm II studied maps with his senior commanders, General Hindenburg and General Ludendorf.       
World War I: Wilhelm II of Germany studying maps with his senior Stock Photo: 57356823 - Alamy

LouisFerdinand

Emperor Wilhelm II received the news of the Archduke Francis Ferdinand's assassination three hours later aboard his sailing yacht, Meteor, as he was setting out from Kiel to take part in a race.Wilhelm did not think that the assassination meant war.     

:mil1: :mil1: :mil1: :mil1: :mil1: :mil1: :mil1: :mil1: :mil1: :mil1: :mil1: :mil1: :mil1: :mil1:

oak_and_cedar

This is slightly off topic, but did the german Royal family have descendants?

Curryong

Which German Royal Family?  There were dozens of smaller states in Getmany before and after  the Hohenzollens took over in 1870, and Wilhelm I became German Emperor.

If you mean the Hohenzollens of Prussia there are heaps of descendants. The last Kaiser Wilhelm II had six sons and a daughter, and his brother and sisters all had families, with one exception. (They were the children of the Emperor Friedrich and Vicky, Queen Victoria's eldest daughter.)

amabel

I think that most of te German royal families were quite prolific and had plenty of offspring.  There are lots of German families sill around who were royal... There's Ernest of Hanover...the Bavarian RF etc.  I think the Hesse family still are around aren't they?

Curryong

Yes, most German Royal seemed to have masses of children. Some had several sets of male twins among the mix.

I think descendants of the Dukes of Hesse and the Rhine (Princess Alice's family) did die out unfortunately. That terrible plane crash in the 1930s, then the last Duke and his English wife having no children, finished them off. I seem to remember reading of Louis, the last Duke 'adopting' a distant relative, Moritz, who was a Hesse but of another branch, and after his (Louis's) death the Royal House of Hesse and the Rhine got subsumed into Hesse and something else of which Moritz was the head, but what the name was I can't remember.

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on August 17, 2019, 11:18:46 AM
Yes, most German Royal seemed to have masses of children. Some had several sets of male twins among the mix.

I think descendants of the Dukes of Hesse and the Rhine (Princess Alice's family) did die out unfortunately. That terrible plane crash in the 1930s, then the last Duke and his English wife having no children, finished them off. I seem to remember reading of Louis, the last Duke 'adopting' a distant relative, Moritz, who was a Hesse but of another branch, and after his (Louis's) death the Royal House of Hesse and the Rhine got subsumed into Hesse and something else of which Moritz was the head, but what the name was I can't remember.
THat's true.. that the male Hesse line.. died with the horrible plane crash that killed Princess Cecilie and her unborn baby.. But there were female Hesses too. 
And as I recall Princess Marg of Prussia married a German prince and she had 6 sons including 2 sets of twins. (of course some of these male Germans were killed in the wars..)?.but they were fairly proilific.  And the Kaiser had 6 sons and 1 daughter, who have descsendents..

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: Curryong on August 17, 2019, 05:25:02 AM
Which German Royal Family?  There were dozens of smaller states in Getmany before and after  the Hohenzollens took over in 1870, and Wilhelm I became German Emperor.

If you mean the Hohenzollens of Prussia there are heaps of descendants. The last Kaiser Wilhelm II had six sons and a daughter, and his brother and sisters all had families, with one exception. (They were the children of the Emperor Friedrich and Vicky, Queen Victoria's eldest daughter.)

Thank you. Yes, I meant after WW1. Do they still have a right to call themselves princes and princesses?

Double post auto-merged: August 17, 2019, 06:29:54 PM

Quote from: amabel on August 17, 2019, 09:21:06 AM
I think that most of te German royal families were quite prolific and had plenty of offspring.  There are lots of German families sill around who were royal... There's Ernest of Hanover...the Bavarian RF etc.  I think the Hesse family still are around aren't they?

Weren't the Hesse family Nazis? Or am I mistaken? I seem to recall in a PP biography I read that PP's sister married someone from that family who was a high ranking nazi. Maybe i've got the names mixed up though.