How The Duchess of Cornwall Won Our Hearts

Started by cinrit, July 02, 2014, 10:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandy

And slamming Diana does not make Camilla and Charles' behavior acceptable. Camilla did not get where she is today by being nice to others.

amabel

Quote from: cate1949 on July 12, 2014, 02:31:54 AM
she hasn't won my heart - I accept she "won" and she will be Queen.  When she does something positive I will acknowledge it.  But she is not winning my heart. 
the person who made it possible for her to "win" was Diana.  I don't believe that Cam parituclarly wanted to be Queen, though she'd naturally like it. I think she was happy enough with the status quo, and would have continued as C''s mistress for life.. and preferred a quiet country life to royal life...But once Diana broke up the marriage, publicly, it was inevitable that the question of Charles marrying Cam would then come up and it did and the public were willing to accept her as C's wife and queen...

Double post auto-merged: July 12, 2014, 01:27:57 PM

Quote from: cinrit on July 10, 2014, 03:34:59 PM
Here's the conundrum ... Camilla made Diana unhappy.  But she made Charles happy.  I'm sure William and Harry had a difficult time working that out in their minds since they surely love their mother and their father equally.  By this time, it seems that everything's settled down, and they seem to be a happy and close family. 

Cindy
Im sure they do, and if Di had married another man whom they weren't too crazy about, I guess they would put up with him as well because he made their mother happy...Of course as kids they were most likely to support their mother but I think as they grew older they could see that she wasn't always easy to live with and that she and Charles had simply not hit it off and were not a good couple and while divorce Is always tragic, it may sometimes be necessary for healing...

TLLK

^^^Good post amabel. I agree that if Diana had lived and found someone to marry that her sons would support the idea if they knew that man treated her well and they were happy together. It is possible that the feelings they have for Camilla would be similar to the ones they might have for a step-father. William and Harry have also seen their cousins' parents remarry and create blended families of varying success, so they know others of their generation that have experienced the same.

amabel

It is hardly an unusal situation, except that they are royal.

sandy

Quote from: amabel on July 12, 2014, 01:12:11 PM
she hasn't won my heart - I accept she "won" and she will be Queen.  When she does something positive I will acknowledge it.  But she is not winning my heart. 
the person who made it possible for her to "win" was Diana.  I don't believe that Cam parituclarly wanted to be Queen, though she'd naturally like it. I think she was happy enough with the status quo, and would have continued as C''s mistress for life.. and preferred a quiet country life to royal life...But once Diana broke up the marriage, publicly, it was inevitable that the question of Charles marrying Cam would then come up and it did and the public were willing to accept her as C's wife and queen...

Here's the conundrum ... Camilla made Diana unhappy.  But she made Charles happy.  I'm sure William and Harry had a difficult time working that out in their minds since they surely love their mother and their father equally.  By this time, it seems that everything's settled down, and they seem to be a happy and close family. 

Cindy
Im sure they do, and if Di had married another man whom they weren't too crazy about, I guess they would put up with him as well because he made their mother happy...Of course as kids they were most likely to support their mother but I think as they grew older they could see that she wasn't always easy to live with and that she and Charles had simply not hit it off and were not a good couple and while divorce Is always tragic, it may sometimes be necessary for healing...

If Camilla did not want to be Queen she could have said no to Charles' proposal. Of course she enjoys being a royal wife. She looks like the cat that got the cream.

Charles broke up the marriage.  The Queen ordered the divorce and Charles was said to be all in favor of a divorce. Diana said she did not want a divorce. He also broke up the marriage years ago by clinging to his mistress. A woman should not be expected to put up with this sort of thing. Diana was young and had her whole life ahead of her when Charles returned to his mistress--and there would be no more children after Harry.

Charles and Diana did not "hit it off" because Camilla as not going to go away and Charles did not totally drop her.

Double post auto-merged: July 12, 2014, 07:30:37 PM

Quote from: TLLK on July 12, 2014, 03:36:48 PM
^^^Good post amabel. I agree that if Diana had lived and found someone to marry that her sons would support the idea if they knew that man treated her well and they were happy together. It is possible that the feelings they have for Camilla would be similar to the ones they might have for a step-father. William and Harry have also seen their cousins' parents remarry and create blended families of varying success, so they know others of their generation that have experienced the same.

Diana's theoretical husband would not have been the one who was instrumental in the marriage breakup. For instance if she and Khan reconciled he had nothing to do with the Wales marriage disintegrating. Camilla was the "other woman" in the wales marriage. Big difference.

FanDianaFancy

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sandy and others, you are beating a dead horse. So AM I!! LOL!!

The Wonderful , Sweet ,Old Lady Camilla  and   loveheartsick Charlie   really  gets on nerves because  so many  us  cannot separate  fact from fiction and our  OPINIONS  to  discuss facts FACTS.

PC  is a prince.  He  , his age,and young adult years, times,was  supposed to amrry  a girl like  LDS in every way.  Nobility, titled,"untoucehed"  as in no scandal...etc.

He  did. He wanted to . He needed to. It  was time  for him to settle down  from past  girlfriends , startlets, others aristos, etc.
His  age, role, was find a  suitable  wife as it  was time adn  have  a family, his heirs  , being he  as the heir.
He did. He  did this well. The girl loved him. Loved him. He  liked her a lot. He wanted to and could have loved her.
Add his King  sized ego and  insecruities  and he  simply CHOSE not to. Enter old grirlfriend Camilla  who had waiting arms  always  saying, "Come to  Mama."  FACT Fred adn Glayds NEVer  quit. They went on nthe honeymoon.  What does that tell?  Ok, healthy h, cute babies, tours of the world and  captiviating, conquering  all  work/duites of charities and then also,  unphased, very impt. politicans, and conceited entertainers, well, they   captivated them too. The Beauty The Brains   were an international hit  for themselves, their country and the BRF.
Weak, simply not trying PC and  Mama  Camilla  KEPT  it  going.
PC NEVER gave his marriage to PD and his sons  as a family nd even himself, PC  , a chance.

FACT-3  people do not make a marriage.  I am sure many  of  you know  of some  marriages of fam/friends  in which  the  grooms  'mother  or  brides '' mother  was invited  in and stayed in  and  became the third spouse and yes, that marriage  ended.

Cammilla NEVER  wanted to and never did and  was  allowed to by PC  to keep her  stake  in with him and the  marriage .
They destroyed a young girls' hopes, dreams, life of family. They did.

Ok, PD  made her madness in most childish ways as she was young: starving herself, throwing up food, fussing, Hewitt....DUMB. She had  no mother, aunt, trusted Lady/Countess/Duke's dghter, etc.   in her world to tell her how to handle  such a situation of their world.

PC and PD divorced.

PC and  C  could  then  cont. their realtionship except for one roadblock who did not play her hand: enter pretty, fertile, young,  aristo connected, fresh, pretty, pretty,  uncomplicated, outdoorsey  TLB. I wonder if  she regrets  she  did not  play  her hand.LOL. No the woman has a gret husband and family  of her own and the princes WnH  trust.
PD  was uspet there  too with  the pretty....TLB.  New BRF  little princes and some  princesses  could have  been sired  by PC  with TLB.

TLB   like PC's camp and C  downgraded PD  with ease, confidence when they  wanted. IT  was wrong on  PC's part to let the  MOTHER of his kids be treated in such a way in public. YES, common men with  grilfriends stop  at even that point. Girlfriends  get  some crumbs  and have to wrok hard for that  time with the married boyfriend, have limitations but still, they guys hold and keep the wife.   perfect  example. Mafia men may  have had their girlfriends , goombas' but  they  went not  going to the family home. Decorate it. See the kids.  They had better  not say a gd word about the wife.   They  could  do their job of  sleeping with thier married men and gets some gifts, apt., but it  stopped about there. Why? Common men do not want to  leave that wife ,who lets them carry on, to marry the _______. These type guys, even if wifey leves, they  don't marry  the  _____.

PD dead. PC and C got married  , became K n Q to be,  and lived happily ever after.

THe young princes grew up  somewhat around C. She did not raise them She had no hadn in doing so. She  did birth them. According to the PC spin, pr amchines, TPTB, etc. sooner or later the story  will be  that did.  Many  of you and the public will buy it too.  LOL!!!

FACT the  guys  had QEIII, PP, TPTB and  assorted friends  to help  guide them.  They  have their own friends.  PW, his own family and  extended family of the Midds he  is very close to " Mom and Dad"-Midds.

All of this  above ARE THE FACTS.  The pr  spin of QCam to be  winning hearts  is pr spin.  The  image  of  sweet ,older divorced lady, old girlfriend  of PC, two lonely hearts who  met  up through friends  ...is  SIMPLY NOT TRUE!!!  YES, people are  accepting as they  MUST. THE BRIT MUST accept her. It is non-negotiable. It  is not up for vote. When she  tours  The UK, she  must get and does get the respect   of the press which consists of her subjects, and that of her subjects, the people. She will be  Queen  Camilla I  after the  EII   dies...one day...she will die one day...some day. I think in 10 years. No, I  do not have a crystal ball, so it might be  in 6 months  , Who knows!!

The rewriting ,as some you want to do, of PC and PD and Camm  is  totally off. Fiction. Untrue. It did not happen that way. It  is not  my  opinion or his or hers  posting  here, but the FACTS are the FACTS.
No doubt W and H  love their fahter. No doubt they  tolerate  and  have made peace  with  Cam.  No doubt they are cordial to her. I do not believe  they  love her  like a mother...love her to bits...If  you think and I am sure you do  think they love her to bits, like a mother, wishes she was their  bio mother,  etc. FINE. Believe it!!!!!!!Believe it. I  cannot make you believe anything  and you cannot make me believe anything!!! 

The only way  the  people will know the true feelings of  W and H towards  C  is if  PC  dies  before her, DofCorn.  If PC dies before  C  is Q  , will W and H  have her  around for their life events?  Etc. Where will she live?  CH  or her own home?  Will QEII  still keep her in the BRF fold?

Tht is the only  way to know.

I think , my OP, if PC dies before  C,DofCorn, I  bet you the Princes will  be done with  her.

If  PC adn C  live to be K and Q and no doubt they will, you will see  W and family, H and family  at Sandringham, Balmoral  with  Queen Camilla and TPB  and family, Lady Lopes and family. THAT will be the face of the BRF.
And you will see pictures of W and H  and their families all  walking and smiling  with  the K and Q and  the PB adult kids and their families.

A united  front .

To me  PC and C  got  where they  are  by destroying another,  Cam got  all she wanted and more by default-PD's death  was the default the  added , unexpectd bonus.  Cam to me  represents  someone  doing wrong and getting righted  for it. NO, I am not saying  she  is not good in her role, because she is. I CAN SEPARATE emotions. EMOTIONS. You have to take your OPINION and EMOTIONS out  of  something to  see it objectionably. With facts FACTS.

Cam is the cat who got the cream. Survivor of the fittest.   The past is not the past in that  it  should be erased or rewritten in a  nice version. THAT is the issue I  and others have with some of  you about this subject.  Still, watever  you want to believe, fine. I cannot  get in your brain and change your mind, LOL!!

Some fo us  just always  point out THE TRUTH or was.  Now Cam is queen of hearts, you her subjects over, fine.

What  is, is that PD is dead and so it  makes everything easy and nice  for  Cam and C.  Boy talk about some people have all the luck!  What  a lucky break that was.  What a great gift from   fate....wonderful twist and final nail in the story. Game changer it was.

Makes no difference in my life and any of the Americans, and other foreingers  here.

Trudie

Quote from: amabel on July 12, 2014, 01:12:11 PM

Cindy

If you don't believe Camilla wanted it all I have a Bridge and a Clock to sell you in London.

KaTerina Montague

Camilla's behavior over the decades has given me the impression that she has no desire for the spotlight or to be Queen. But once it came out that she was with Charles and they both got divorced, she could hardly remain the Prince's mistress forever. Perhaps one of the reasons she has seemed to win the publics heart is because she is loyal to Charles and people respect that no matter how bad it gets she won't talk to the press.
Or maybe a large part of it is that William and Harry have accepted her and all appearances say they get on fine with her and her kids. I often read that Laura especially hated Charles for awhile; I would love to know how both Charles and Camilla smoothed over things with each other's children. I tend to think that some hard questions had to end up being answered.

Trudie

^ How to smooth things over Katerina IMO Trustfunds and why not remain his mistress forever she had better benefits living with him a palace, no duty and plenty of staff to cater to her not to mention the gifts of jewelry and clothes. Nope for Camilla it became all about the bows and curtsy's, Bling especially the Tiaras and priceless jewels and one day First Lady in the Land.

Curryong

I'm a Diana fan, but I do actually believe that Camilla was quite content as Charles's mistress. She had her own (reputedly messy) home, casual country lifestyle with lots of gardening and horse riding, seeing her friends and family when she liked, and Charles paying most of the bills. Ideal!

Charles was supposedly becoming a bit restive by 2005. The Queen wasn't getting any younger and he was fretting over his public image should he suddenly become monarch, a bachelor monarch with a well-known mistress. This would not be a good look. So, with his sons off his hands, Charles persuaded Camilla into marriage.

Even today, Highgrove is too formal for her and she escapes for a time to her own home, even if it costs taxpayers more in additional security measures.

sandy

She had a choice. If she really felt repelled at being Queen she could have 1) not become the Prince of Wales mistress and later 2) said no to his proposal. The spin is she "never wanted anything." If she did not want anything she would have moved on with her life after the Prince got engaged to another woman and let the first wife be a royal.

And it should be remembered that one motive for the marriage was that the two could never sit together at royal events and even could not sit together at a wedding of one of their friends (the Van Cutsem's) children. Camilla and Charles were said to be quite angry. It is one thing to have a Prince foot the bills another that they were not allowed to be together in public.  Also I doubt Camilla's father (who complained to Charles) would want to see his daughter remain a mistress after Charles called her out publicly as his mistress. And once the APBs divorced Charles became obligated.

Charles also was about to have his finances investigated. The $$$ spent on his mistress would certainly have been investigated. So out came the engagement ring and an engagement was soon announced.

Camilla seems to enjoy the trappings of royalty just fine and was even able to keep her home Raymill to retreat to.

Double post auto-merged: July 13, 2014, 02:04:54 AM

Quote from: KaTerina Montague on July 13, 2014, 12:09:50 AM
Camilla's behavior over the decades has given me the impression that she has no desire for the spotlight or to be Queen. But once it came out that she was with Charles and they both got divorced, she could hardly remain the Prince's mistress forever. Perhaps one of the reasons she has seemed to win the publics heart is because she is loyal to Charles and people respect that no matter how bad it gets she won't talk to the press.
Or maybe a large part of it is that William and Harry have accepted her and all appearances say they get on fine with her and her kids. I often read that Laura especially hated Charles for awhile; I would love to know how both Charles and Camilla smoothed over things with each other's children. I tend to think that some hard questions had to end up being answered.

I don't think William and Harry spend much time with Tom and Laura. Maybe at some family events but I doubt they are close. Laura never hated Charles. I certainly don't care how they "smoothed things over." I don't think any of the children had a choice really. Tom and Laura got those trust funds from the Prince and Tom gets to mention "Sir' On his book jackets but does not mention his father Andrew Parker Bowles--it's all about Mum and Sir when he promotes his books.

Camilla did some talking to the press--when she talked to Stuart Higgins. She undermined her predecessor and got most of what she had. If she did not want anything, she would have butted out of Charles' marriage to Diana.  She accepted the bling Charles gave her and the perks.

As far as "winning hearts" I don't think you can claim that she won "everyone's heart." Charles will do as he pleases no matter what. She will never be universally beloved to put it mildly.

If she had been "loyal" to Charles she should have not undermined his wife and left the picture once he got engaged to Diana. She had no intention of giving up her Sugar Daddy. How can a married woman be "loyal" to her lover when she's supposed to be loyal to her husband. Charles even married another woman while she was being "loyal" to him. Something wrong with this picture.

Double post auto-merged: July 13, 2014, 02:06:02 AM

Quote from: Trudie on July 13, 2014, 12:27:58 AM
^ How to smooth things over Katerina IMO Trustfunds and why not remain his mistress forever she had better benefits living with him a palace, no duty and plenty of staff to cater to her not to mention the gifts of jewelry and clothes. Nope for Camilla it became all about the bows and curtsy's, Bling especially the Tiaras and priceless jewels and one day First Lady in the Land.

She grins for those cameras and poses proudly in the tiaras and bling. She wanted this. Big Time.

Curryong

I forgot about the Edward van Cutsem wedding, Sandy. Thanks for reminding me about that very amusing episode. It brought a lot back. I believe the van Cutsem parents were still stewing over some feud with Mark Bolland from years before. It involved allegations Bolland made about the van Cutsem boys at the time when Camilla heard, via Charles, that Hugh and Emillie had said that Tom PB took drugs! That revelation went down well!

Anyway, Hugh and Emillie made the excuse that Camilla couldn't possibly sit next to Charles as the Queen and Prince Philip were attending the wedding (to the Duke of Westminster's daughter.) She was going to be seated four rows back, on the bride's side of the aisle! I think, from memory, Charles didn't attend in the end.

FanDianaFancy

Once again my ears FACTS.
Of course Camila  did not show desires to be  Qof the land  because then SHE COULD NOT.  Could not until PC and D divorced.

Curry, KaTern, she  has all that you both said and more. Still has her gardening, messy house, etc and CP  paying for it all.
She was content as girlfriend because that IS ALL she could be BUT even then, SHE WAS  HIS WIFE, just  not legally and in front of the world.  Cams' place was at HG as hostess/ladyof the manor, in friends  of hers and PC's, her family of siblings, etc. The safe houses given  for   romantic times by  PC and C's friends  ....
After PH  was born, PC had completed  his job there. JOB.  PD  was simply part  of PC's  JOB. Nothing more was she  ever and  nothing less was SHE. Just the vehicle, the breeder was PD. If  he  could  have  bred asexually, then he would have, LOL!!!!.
FACTS. lets take the emotion out  of it and keep FACTS.

YES, Q Amilla tpo be  has won her subjects hearts and prayers. How nice for her and PC.  Of course, the subject is not  open for vote so the people can do nothing but  accpet, attend her coronation...etc. I mean turn off your tv's if you do not like her and PC.   Accepting QCam to be  is  really  irelevant. Time has  been , is always  a  good  tool  for things.  Time since PD died. Time since the princes  grew up. Time since QEII has had the big anniversary. Time.  Time DOESNOT ERASE  what was, just  gives  time

HistoryGirl

^I totally agree. I mean let's not get it twisted, all these royals (and royal hanger-ons) enjoy the perks and the deference. Status is very important to them; being treated like a mistress isn't desirable when there's an opportunity to be treated with the respect that a Queen gets, but of course, when their affair began all she could be was a mistress which was better than not being attached to a prince at all.

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on July 13, 2014, 01:12:52 AM
I'm a Diana fan, but I do actually believe that Camilla was quite content as Charles's mistress. She had her own (reputedly messy) home, casual country lifestyle with lots of gardening and horse riding, seeing her friends and family when she liked, and Charles paying most of the bills. Ideal!

Charles was supposedly becoming a bit restive by 2005. The Queen wasn't getting any younger and he was fretting over his public image should he suddenly become monarch, a bachelor monarch with a well-known mistress. This would not be a good look. So, with his sons off his hands, Charles persuaded Camilla into marriage.

Even today, Highgrove is too formal for her and she escapes for a time to her own home, even if it costs taxpayers more in additional security measures.
there was no way that Cam could remain C's mistress, when he became King. She knew that, and was willing to go with it.  however I think her personal preference would have been to remain living with him quietly and not doing public duties.

Eri

I guess we will witness how Will and Harry REALLY feel about Cam if Chuck dies first and he can't witness how they treat her ... as for the public goes she is a public figure some will like her , some will not there will be indifferent but you can't deny she has come along way since the days she must have been scared to leave her home ...

sandy

I don't think Camilla was ever "scared." If she were not nervy she would not be where she is today.

I doubt Camilla would have been "content" to live quietly as the mistress. She looks like the cat that got the cream. She could have said no to Charles proposal but did not.

amabel

Quote from: Eri on July 13, 2014, 10:48:56 AM
I guess we will witness how Will and Harry REALLY feel about Cam if Chuck dies first and he can't witness how they treat her ... as for the public goes she is a public figure some will like her , some will not there will be indifferent but you can't deny she has come along way since the days she must have been scared to leave her home ...
You really think they will ignore their father's widow?  I'm sure they get on well enough with Camilla, find her congenial and are OK with her as C's wife, and even if they didn't like her much, they would treat her politely and with respect for their fathers sake,, and they would not broadcast any trouble int eh family.

Eri

amabel

If you really think that they are going to treat Cam with less than respect, even after their father's gone I simply can't understand that.  There has been enough of making public private disputes, in the RF and they are well aware of that.

sandy

Camilla has her own family she spend time with. She would come for court events but I doubt she'd be as visible as she would be as Queen. She would be up there in age by then and would want to spend time with her grandchildren and children.

TLLK

^^^I completely agree sandy. She'll likely go into a happy and comfortable retirement should he pass away before he does.

FanDianaFancy

Quote from: amabel on July 13, 2014, 12:09:36 PM
You really think they will ignore their father's widow?  I'm sure they get on well enough with Camilla, find her congenial and are OK with her as C's wife, and even if they didn't like her much, they would treat her politely and with respect for their fathers sake,, and they would not broadcast any trouble int eh family.

Pardon my typos  in previous post. I  need a new  laptop. I  will probably   buy one this week.

to answer  your question, YES. No one knows  how they  feel  and won't know unless PC dies first.
Be  PC  dying first and  Camm  is  DofCirn or QofEnglan.

When people die, all bets are off and  true  feelings, thoughts come out.

I am sure  I  am not the only person here who  has  seen family/friends and  their families, waht happens  when ,lets say, the parents die.
Sometimes it  can get  ugly,  with  a  legal will  and  all the works with  with it,  and with others, it  is ok.  A closer relationship happens.

Will Cam  be  at  H and  W  's private family moments  if PC dies first? We will wait  and see. MY OPINION is  they  will not include  Cam, DofCorn or , Goodness, I  hope she never makes it as Q.
Example.
PD  is dead.  Their father, I am sure , never encouraged  a  relationship between HIS sons  and the Spencer  aunts, cousins.  Many times this happens in a  relationship.
Today, no  big news there, but they ARE NOT that close to the Spencer aunts, uncle and cousins. Yeah, PW took the baby to see an aunt one day. K went to  represent him at a Spencer wedding. A  Spencer aunt or two went to W's military thing. Big deal.
NO, I do not know. Maybe they  call and talk everyday, LOL!!!  Maybe they visit  all the time, LOL!!!  Yeah , right!!!

W adn H are very close to the  Windsor cousins  and family: B and E, Z and her  brother and family, and all.

MY OPINION and common sense  really, whan QEII  dies and she will one day, some day,  the BRF  at Balmoral, Sandring, Buckbalcony will be  with  Cam's kids and grandkids. As  QofEn, what does anyone expect her to leave her  kids and grandkids?
I should think not!

Queen rules!  What the Q says goes and Q Cam will mahve her say adn that will be that.

Limabeany

Quote from: TLLK on July 13, 2014, 08:52:46 PM
^^^I completely agree sandy. She'll likely go into a happy and comfortable retirement should he pass away before he does.
I agree with both of you, she will go to her house and spend time with her family and friends.Her love of Charles is the only thing keeping her in that world, but she, by all accounts is more comfortable in non-posh more familiar surroundings.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Trudie

Quote from: amabel on July 13, 2014, 12:09:36 PM

No one knows how they will treat Camilla however, the only relationship they have with her is as their fathers wife. Once he is gone and if she lives Camilla has her own children she never had royal children i.e. Half siblings for William and Harry to have a tie to her. One question will be her living arrangements Clarence house is not Charles house in that he doesn't own it and neither does he own Highgrove the Duchy of Cornwall owns it so as in the Aristocracy the Widow usually vacates the house so the heir moves in.