The Queen Sends Her First Tweet

Started by cinrit, October 24, 2014, 01:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteThose desperate to know what message the Queen had to depart upon the world of social media when she addressed one’s feeds for the first time today, wonder no longer.

The monarch sent her first ever tweet to mark the opening of a brand new information technology gallery at the Science Museum.  Posted at 11:35am to 724,000 followers of the @BritishMonarchy account, she addressed her social subjects thusly:

“It is a pleasure to open the Information Age exhibition today at the @ScienceMuseum and I hope people will enjoy visiting. Elizabeth R.”

The account is usually managed by palace officials, who had been tweeting details of HRH’s premiere technological forays in the minutes leading up to the momentous occasion.

More: The Queen sends first tweet: See the monarch's first forray into the world of social media - People - News - The Independent

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Eri

cinrit

QuoteQueen Joins Twitter to Send Message at Science Exhibition - But Was One Amused By the Response from Her Subjects?

The Queen has joined the Twitter generation - sending her first ever tweet to declare a new exhibition at the Science Museum officially open.  The royal tweet, with perfect punctuation, read: 'It is a pleasure to open the Information Age exhibition today at the @ScienceMuseum and I hope people will enjoy visiting. Elizabeth R.'

But now the account is being bombarded with questions from users desperate to grab the monarch's attention.  One asked about her X Factor favourite while another urged the Queen, who he referred to as 'babe', to send out a selfie.
As soon as the monarch pressed send, Twitter users were quick to send their own messages back.

Many were sent by users welcoming the monarch to social media - with some encouraging her to embrace internet trends such as selfies and memes.  However within just minutes of sending her first tweet, the Queen had already attracted her first troll.

More: Queen Elizabeth uses Twitter to officially open new science exhibition | Daily Mail Online

Cindy

Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Limabeany

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Jennifer

QuoteQueen Elizabeth is not one to back down from surprising the crowds once in a while. She said yes to filming a James Bond sequence for the London Olympics, and today, she took a step further into the world of technology, as she sent out her very first tweet.

The British Monarchy has had a Twitter-profile for quite some time called @BritishMonarchy, but it's not exactly the Queen herself that manages this social media profile.

Read more:
#TheQueenTweets at Science Museum London | Royalista
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

snokitty

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 21h21 hours ago City of London, London

QuoteThe Queen's first tweet has now been retweeted more than 19,000 times and the @britishmonarchy account has added 50,000 followers today.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

snokitty

Camilla Tominey on the Queen's first tweet | Camilla Tominey | Columnists | Comment | Daily Express

QuoteIt was back in the day when people thought the internet was French for "work experience girl".

As long ago as 1976, Her Majesty first pressed "send" on an electronic message from an army base. Twenty one years later she launched the British Monarchy website; in 2006 the Royal Channel started broadcasting on You Tube and on Friday she sent her first ever tweet.

After discarding one of her trademark gloves, the 88-year-old monarch touched a tablet screen with her index finger, sending out a pre-typed message to the world during an event at London's Science Museum.

The royal tweet, sent from her office's @BritishMonarchy account at 11.35am, read: "It is a pleasure to open the Information Age exhibition today at the @ScienceMuseum and I hope people will enjoy visiting. Elizabeth R."

Just four minutes passed before our head of state fell victim to Twitter trolls.

Guardian journalist Alex Hern was the first to lower the tone with: "Welcome to Twitter! Abdicate." It was retweeted 100 times along with other insults, including: "Kill yourselves, inbred sponges" and: "We don't pay her to tweet. Get some bloody work done!" Which is why I hope Her Majesty's first tweet was her last.

While I am all for progress the Queen represents a different set of values than those to which Twitter subscribes. There is a saying that gentlefolk are never unintentionally rude. Sadly, rudeness seems to come naturally on Twitter.

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

Eri

Quote from: snokitty on October 25, 2014, 12:55:02 PM
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 21h21 hours ago City of London, London

QuoteThe Queen's first tweet has now been retweeted more than 19,000 times and the @britishmonarchy account has added 50,000 followers today.
:clap: ...