Prince Harry: No royal wants to be king or queen

Started by Mike, June 22, 2017, 09:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Prince Harry: No royal wants to be king or queen - CNN.com

Couldn't this be construed as similar to what Diana said about Charles on Panorama?  Let's wait for the pro-Charles click to condemn Harry.
Mark Twain:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
and
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

Curryong

If you look at the whole Newsweek interview, at least the part that is online at their site, it is a throwaway one liner, a sentence in a quite long wide ranging interview. Of course the tabs are going to town on it, they always do.

Izabella

sandy

William did talk about the "weight of duty" a few months ago. He does not seem so eager either. But Harry has very little chance of being monarch in any case.

sara8150

Prince Harry says no royal wants to be king or queen
Prince Harry says no royal wants to be king or queen - BBC News

Double post auto-merged: June 23, 2017, 12:11:27 AM

Prince Harry says no one in royal family wants to be king or queen
Prince Harry says no one in royal family wants to be king or queen | UK news | The Guardian

Double post auto-merged: June 23, 2017, 12:12:48 AM

'No royal wants the throne' Prince Harry's shock claim about the future of the monarchy
Prince Harry: ?No royal wants the throne? in shock claim future of the monarchy | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Double post auto-merged: June 23, 2017, 12:26:33 AM

'No child should be asked to do that': Prince Harry reveals his anguish at being forced to walk behind his mother's coffin age 12 (and wants to make his mark before George and Charlotte overshadow him)
Prince Harry recalls walking behind mother Diana's coffin | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: June 23, 2017, 12:27:37 AM

Prince Harry suggests no one in Royal Family wants the throne
Prince Harry suggests no one in Royal Family wants the throne - ITV News

Double post auto-merged: June 23, 2017, 12:30:34 AM

Prince Harry: No one in royal family wants to be king or queen
Prince Harry: No one in royal family wants to be king or queen - CBS News

amabel

Quote from: Mike on June 22, 2017, 09:15:34 PM
Prince Harry: No royal wants to be king or queen - CNN.com

Couldn't this be construed as similar to what Diana said about Charles on Panorama?  Let's wait for the pro-Charles click to condemn Harry.
do you mean clique or click?  Sorry?  Harry never thinks before he speaks.. so he says stupid things.

sandy

No I think William, Harry and Kate do not just blurt things out. I think the Heads Together campaign is carefully scripted.

LouisFerdinand

In the article Prince Harry: ?No royal wants the throne? in shock claim future of the monarchy | Royal | News | Express.co.uk   
Harry expressed "that the Queen has achieved for over 60 years". He did not refer to Elizabeth II as Grandmother.

amabel

well if no royal wants the throne, why are we paying for htem? I wish he'd keep his mouth shut.

Curryong

Have you read the whole wide ranging interview given by Harry in the Newsweek, amabel? Or are we talking about the one sentence in the whole interview, which is spoken, obviously in response to a question and wasn't a spontaneous statement? One sentence that was taken up by the tabloid press who tan with it! 

We don't know in what context that question was asked, nor do we know what Harry's demeanour was like when he said it. Dour and serious and emphatic? I doubt it. A laughing throw-away remark as in, with a grin 'Ah naar, nobody wants THAT job!' Probably!  I do agree though that, as Harry knows what the Sun, DM and the others are like, he shouldn't have said it. However, most of the Newsweek interview and the reporter's comments on Harry are extremely interesting and well worth reading.

amabel

No I haven't read the whole article. Not that interested in Harry's ideas, and he seems even allowing for the press/internet concentrating on the more "sound bite" bits of his speech, to have said more than 1 sily thing. I don't think he should have watched what he said but he rarely does. 

Curryong

^ So you comment on something you haven't read, as distinct from your comments on the TV drama King Charles III which you didn't watch, and judged both.

Don't take this the wrong way amabel, but do you immediately conceive dislikes and likings for people the instant you meet them without knowing them, and if you dislike them do you instantly discount any ideas they come up with? Just curious.

royalanthropologist

I think there is a simple solution to Harry's predicament. Just renounce the right to the throne, title and perks so that you can lead a "normal life". I think that anyone that does not want to be part of the royal family should be given a way out. It all comes from that nonsense about being "ordinary". Ordinary families worry about bills, health etc. If Harry wants to be ordinary, he is quite welcome to my world.

Having said that, there is no guarantee that this is a case of the tabloids picking up a single line and then running with it. I am old enough to remember when Charles' autobiography (a very substantial book) was reduced to a few sentences about not loving Diana. The media can be manipulative and the public can sadly be gullible.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Curryong

In the original Newsweek article Harry doesn't go on and on about being 'ordinary' either. However, I do agree that both William and Harry (and William has said plenty about wanting to be 'ordinary' over the years) shouldn't say this. Years ago prince Andrew apparently tackled the very young Harry about it and snapped 'You're not ordinary, can't be ordinary' and he was right. They can't be. (OTOH Andrew seems to have problems in accepting that he's more 'ordinary' than he thinks he is! )

On the other hand, in the Newsweek article Harry emphasises that he's 'in a good place', full of enthusiasm for his charities and looks forward to more.

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on June 24, 2017, 07:27:16 AM
^ So you comment on something you haven't read, as distinct from your comments on the TV drama King Charles III which you didn't watch, and judged both.

Don't take this the wrong way amabel, but do you immediately conceive dislikes and likings for people the instant you meet them without knowing them, and if you dislike them do you instantly discount any ideas they come up with? Just curious.
no idea what you mean. I have been reading about Harry for years, and I have seen British TV drama for many years.  in the ase of Harry, I have never thought he had much brain.  But I think he has a kind heart.. and for a time I thought he had more "get up and go" than WIlliam. but lately, I've begun to feel that he is not any more substantial than his brother.. he gave up the army which gave him a direction and focus..
and he is still inclined to say foolish things.
as for British TV drama I think it is atrocious and have more or less given up on watching it.  From what Iv'e read here, abut that charles III thing, it is wildly inaccurate, but the inaccuracies don't seem to be there to make any kind of point.  So forgive me if I don't waste the few hours I have free of work, to watch such things.

Double post auto-merged: June 24, 2017, 09:07:04 AM

Quote from: royalanthropologist on June 24, 2017, 08:00:56 AM
I think there is a simple solution to Harry's predicament. Just renounce the right to the throne, title and perks so that you can lead a "normal life". I think that anyone that does not want to be part of the royal family should be given a way out. It all comes from that nonsense about being "ordinary". Ordinary families worry about bills, health etc. If Harry wants to be ordinary, he is quite welcome to my world.

that is nonsense.  harry says silly things but of course he is not going ot renounce the life he has.  It would be undutiful, unless he is very much unsuited ot it.  For another, if he did give up his royal status, he wodl still be a rich young man and probably have an even better time of it, because he woudlnt have the royal duties etc that he does have now

royalanthropologist

Then if he does not want to renounce, why complain about it or suggest that nobody wants it? You don't want the role, give it up. I am sure there are many in the line of succession who will want to take on the role. This is just a rich kid gone wrong, allowed to do anything he wants because he lost his mum young. Tell that to the people that lost everything in that London Tower. Those are people who have a right to complain. Not someone that has all the advantages of life.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

amabel

Quote from: royalanthropologist on June 24, 2017, 09:15:29 AM
Then if he does not want to renounce, why complain about it or suggest that nobody wants it? You don't want the role, give it up. I am sure there are many in the line of succession who will want to take on the role. This is just a rich kid gone wrong, allowed to do anything he wants because he lost his mum young. Tell that to the people that lost everything in that London Tower. Those are people who have a right to complain. Not someone that has all the advantages of life.
no there aren't.  he "complains" for the same reason most of us complain.. we like to grouse. but I agree that it si stupid to say something like that which does imply "we royals are slogging away out of duty, we don't really want to be here" and it is bound to rouse a lack of sympathy from the people.  But as I have repeatedly said "Harry isn't very clever nad often says stupd things.

sandy

Quote from: royalanthropologist on June 24, 2017, 08:00:56 AM

Having said that, there is no guarantee that this is a case of the tabloids picking up a single line and then running with it. I am old enough to remember when Charles' autobiography (a very substantial book) was reduced to a few sentences about not loving Diana. The media can be manipulative and the public can sadly be gullible.

Well the big thing was Charles' confession of adultery which forced the PB divorce.

The other parts of the book included many of Charles complaints and self pity about his parents and his schools

TLLK

Harry's in Africa now and then has the upcoming Invictus Games. I think that this interview's remarks are going to fade into the past over the next few months.

Prince Harry jets off on a ten-day safari | Daily Mail Online

royalanthropologist

Hopefully he realizes that the modern 24-hour news media is scum and he must try to keep away from revealing too much about his thoughts. The PR game is a double edged sword as his own mum proved. They have no loyalty or journalistic integrity. Anything that is sensational, they exaggerate and drown out just about everything else.

sandy

If Camilla does, then Harry certainly can! Charles though outdoes them all in soul baring.

royalanthropologist

No that is not correct. It is a biased, partisan and subjective reading of the facts. The undisputed pioneer and queen of royal media exclusives is none other than Diana, Princess of Wales. She started the process of the confessional
with Morton (although she originally lied about her involvement in the project) and took it to the zenith with panorama. No royal before or ever since has done such a thing. They are unlikely to do because it is not in their nature and the consequences of panorama for the interviewee were not exactly pleasant.

Diana ended up being ordered to divorce after that foray. Harry should keep well away from the PR game that earned his mother awe in the media and among her supporters;  but a lot of personal isolation and media frenzies which ended up with her being killed in a tunnel as her vehicle was pursued by the paparazzi. Partisan praise from your supporters can only take you so far; as Diana bitterly learnt after Panorama. The "she stood up for herself" consolation sounds hollow when one realizes what happened afterwards.

sandy

Yes, it is correct because it is a discussion board and I have every right to my opinion. So don't go lecturing me about it being biased.

Charles is much older now. Diana lived to 36. Charles has had more years of whingeing. And it is not over yet.

Charles had his friends trash Diana and the Dimbleby book, the Junor book, and Smith book all portray a very complaining and whining prince.

What Diana wrote has nothing to do with the auto accident. It's like saying that Diana would not have been in that tunnel if Charles had dumped Camilla. Kismet.

You cannot possibly tell me I am wrong because you are not the Oracle here. It is an opinion board where we all have a say. You have had your say. I have had mine.

royalanthropologist

No I will not do so @sandy. As you are probably aware by now;  the very last thing I would do is follow orders no matter how politely phrased. I made my comment and opinion. If you don't like it...tough. It is neither insulting nor patronizing nor even lecturing. It is just a comment that you happen not to like. Perhaps the forum should use an up and down arrow so that people can express dislike of a comment. But as for the request, I stand my comment and I think it is accurate. Biased, subjective and partisan reading of the facts.

sandy

Then don't.  Whatever you think, I can express my opinion which I am entitled to do. You are the one ordering me around insisting I am wrong. I think that's rude. If you don't like it tough. I find it condescending.

If the last thing you do is not follow orders, then how come you try to order me around and say I am wrong. No, I am not wrong.

You are not unbiased. And I am not going to back off on that statement.

Charles is very whiney and always has been. There I said it. No wonder Camilla has her separate dwelling to go to What a crybaby.

It's so sad how it has all deteriorated from the days the Princess Elizabeth pledged her lifelong duty as a Princess then Queen.