First British Person to see the Queen

Started by imagine, January 21, 2018, 05:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imagine

Hi,
I would like to share some information, which might be interesting for some people in this forum. I am writing from Germany, so pls. excuse my bad english. A friend of mine, Albert Wood (1916?1999) from Pitsford nr. Northampton once claimed that he was the very first british citizen to see the Queen after her father perished in 1952. He then worked for the Locust Control when he was close to the entrance of the lodge where she stayed and had to move aside while the car with her drove passed, rushing to the airport. Thats it, nothing more...
regards from Stuttgart

Curryong

Quote from: imagine on January 21, 2018, 05:11:04 PM
Hi,
I would like to share some information, which might be interesting for some people in this forum. I am writing from Germany, so pls. excuse my bad english. A friend of mine, Albert Wood (1916?1999) from Pitsford nr. Northampton once claimed that he was the very first british citizen to see the Queen after her father perished in 1952. He then worked for the Locust Control when he was close to the entrance of the lodge where she stayed and had to move aside while the car with her drove passed, rushing to the airport. Thats it, nothing more...
regards from Stuttgart

Thank you, imagine. Your English is great, much better than my German, I'm sure. Interesting that locusts were a problem in Kenya at that time! However, I doubt that Albert was the first British person to see the Queen after her father's death. What about all the staff the Edinburghs had brought with them, including the aide who told Prince Philip about the death so he could break it to his wife? There was also a lady in waiting and the staff at Treetops lodge.

SophieChloe

Welcome to the Forum @imagine.  Hope you enjoy your time here. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

TLLK

@imagine-A very interesting story and thank you for sharing it. :welcome:

LouisFerdinand

@Curryong, Who was Princess Elizabeth's lady-in-waiting at the time?

Curryong

Princess Elizabeth took a large staff with her and Philip, several ladies in waiting and male aides. It was going to be a long tour of many weeks, ending in Australasia. Kenya was considered a bit of a break for the couple  before the really gruelling stuff began.

Lady Pamela Mountbatten was one of the L-in-W. There's an photograph showing a thoughtful Queen having lunch on the plane back to Britain with Lady Pamela.

Also

What Really Happened the Moment Elizabeth Discovered She Was Queen | PEOPLE.com