Mrs Thatcher & Me: The uproarious diaries of one of her top diplomats

Started by Kritter, January 21, 2018, 05:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kritter

Margaret Thatcher 'wanted a whites-only South Africa' | Daily Mail Online

QuoteMargaret Thatcher wanted to ?push? Vietnamese boat people into the sea, ?loathed? Germans, and believed South Africa should become a whites-only state.

She disliked men with moustaches because they ?looked like hairdressers? ? and may have quit as Prime Minister because of husband Denis?s heavy drinking.

That is the controversial portrait painted of her in a new book by Sir Patrick Wright, who was head of the Diplomatic Service at the end of Thatcher?s Downing Street years and at the start of John Major?s term in office. His diaries give a vivid account of her bitter clashes with her Foreign Secretary Sir Geoffrey Howe ? she described him as ?that old bumbler? behind his back.

Izabella

That was one cantankerous old crow. She needed a hairdresser for that aquanet helmet... looked like a lost member of the golden girls.  :orchid:

royalanthropologist

Ha ha. I enjoyed that.  :hehe: :goodpost: I have friends in the North and they describe Thatcher in terms that are not printable. But the 80s hair thing reminds me of old times. Plus the Golden Girls is just classic :hehe:
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Curryong

Didn't Margaret Thatcher once say 'this lady's not for turning'? I don't think there's any doubt that the old bat very rarely changed her mind about anything. Margaret must have been murder to work with. I can imagine her having those views about South Africa. She had probably formed them as a young woman and never changed, very much the POV of her time and place.