Something that you like about Diana

Started by Duch_Luver_4ever, January 07, 2018, 01:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandy

Some may not find it "strange." It's not as if Charles had a harem. And Diana was underage when he was dating Sarah. Diana did not "steal" Charles. Sarah did not appear all that interested in Charles and I doubt wanted to marry him. Charles had serious relationships with Amanda Knatchbull, then Anna Wallace and Diana was 19 when he finally decided to ask her out.

So was it strange for Princess Mary to marry her dead fiancee's brother?

So why did Charles date two SPencer sisters? Is there something wrong with him?

royalanthropologist

I find it strange, especially in light of all the later complaints about how terrible Charles was. Her sister gave her a preview of his life with her press forays so she was on notice but the attraction of being a princess was always too strong to think beyond a grand wedding.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

sandy

I don't think Sarah wanted to marry him. Charles can't complain about press forays when he is quite familiar with dealing with the press, having his pals leak stories about his first wife and having PR person sending stories out and Junor writing love letters to him and Camilla in book form.

The getting of heirs for Charles with his first wife was always too strong to think about the realities of marriage when he was still involved with a woman married to his friend. Charles was so self centered he thought Diana should be a sister wife to Camilla.

wannable

Sarah met Charles more times than Diana ever did pre dating, she even had a scrap book of Charles news. I agree Sarah must have shared to her family and sisters what he was like.

Since many Diana fans keep on saying she was a teenager, who to blame, her parents! The only people who could have stopped...I truly believe they didn't care as long as one of their daughters married the Prince.

And this is my last of the few, not interested in discussing the trio CC D.

sandy

Sarah and Charles were nowhere near getting engaged. He moved right to Amanda and proposed so he was not exactly pining over Sarah. When Anna dumped him, one biographer said he begged her not to. He never did that with Sarah.

Why would Sarah sit and tell her sisters about what Charles was like?

Charles is to blame for proposing not her parents. HE was the one who knew the score and how he felt about Camilla and DIana (which he later confessed to Dimbleby). Why should her parents be blamed, they did not propose to Diana on behalf of Charles.

Kritter

Quote from: wannable on January 09, 2018, 12:13:19 AM
Sarah met Charles more times than Diana ever did pre dating, she even had a scrap book of Charles news. I agree Sarah must have shared to her family and sisters what he was like.

Since many Diana fans keep on saying she was a teenager, who to blame, her parents! The only people who could have stopped...I truly believe they didn't care as long as one of their daughters married the Prince.

How could her parents possibly know Charles planned on using her as a broodmare & then ignoring her?

Duch_Luver_4ever

Really???? What did Johnny use Frances for??? If there was any parents that could fill her in it was hers, they even had a very similar age gap and disparate interests  :happy17: They say you subconsciously choose a mate like your parents, well Diana sure did.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Kritter

Johnny did not marry Frances while having a Mistress on the side that he was going to refuse to give up. Most married people expect to have children & many men in the Aristocracy want Sons since daughters do not inherit.

See that is what you always do twist things around to make Charles an innocent.

sandy

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on January 09, 2018, 01:39:31 AM
Really???? What did Johnny use Frances for??? If there was any parents that could fill her in it was hers, they even had a very similar age gap and disparate interests  :happy17: They say you subconsciously choose a mate like your parents, well Diana sure did.

By all accounts John and Frances were initially a love match. He threw over a woman he intended to propose to when he saw Frances at a party. He dropped the other woman and other past relationships when he wed Frances.

The problems stemmed from his desire to have the male heir or else a cousin would inherit Althorp after John died. So he sent Frances for unpleasant tests to see why she could not produce a male. Plus when their first son died, Frances was not allowed to see him when he died. After years of this, Frances and John drifted apart.

Diana had the heir and spare for Charles.

royalanthropologist

Tell me about. Can get a bit old.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Duch_Luver_4ever

Quote from: wannable on January 08, 2018, 04:34:28 PM
Giving an example of other sisters doesn't change the fact that in those times to-date doesn't make it rare.

It was and still is rare to have 2 members of your family switch turns to date 1 same man, to marry her off.

In any case, if Diana was too young to figure it out, I fully blame her parents, first because of the above, seeing it normal is not normal, as it is a fact that it is rare that time, before then, now in the western world with the kind of society, culture in the UK, non mormons, non muslims, non whatever religion where multiple girlfriends or a man can screw same family member sisters...

It is uncommon, and usually when it does happen it ruptures the family, for example if a sister/brother cheats with that family members significant other. Luckily this was not what happened in this case and the breakup was amicable. However, the Spencer family wanted to get close to the RF, so they made sure Diana was available after Sarah.

Quote from: royalanthropologist on January 09, 2018, 12:00:31 AM
I find it strange, especially in light of all the later complaints about how terrible Charles was. Her sister gave her a preview of his life with her press forays so she was on notice but the attraction of being a princess was always too strong to think beyond a grand wedding.

Yes, Sarah had access not only to Charles and insight into his character, she also would have access to ppl in his social circle, as well as the clippings, also being older, wiser and more savvy about men than Diana would have been at that age. Diana did catch his eye when she was 16, and Sarah was jealous, there was the whole giving Diana looks after showing Charles where the lights were at Althorp, her getting invited to a dance than Sarah was surprised she would be invited to, so there was some rivalry between them. Remember Diana didnt tell much of anything to Sarah, according to Mary Robertson, as she was told by Diana she was worried Sarah would talk to the press and ruin it for her.

Also remember Sarahs comment of "I thought one days this would all be mine" in St Pauls prior to the wedding, so even though she had eyes for another, Sarah at some level must have wanted it and was a bit jealous of Diana.

Quote from: sandy on January 09, 2018, 02:04:53 AM
By all accounts John and Frances were initially a love match. He threw over a woman he intended to propose to when he saw Frances at a party. He dropped the other woman and other past relationships when he wed Frances.

The problems stemmed from his desire to have the male heir or else a cousin would inherit Althorp after John died. So he sent Frances for unpleasant tests to see why she could not produce a male. Plus when their first son died, Frances was not allowed to see him when he died. After years of this, Frances and John drifted apart.

Diana had the heir and spare for Charles.

They did got on well at the start, but like C&D, Johnny liked to stay at home in the country, and Frances liked the city, they grew apart and then the baby mill operation happened and like Charles, Johnnys main interest in his wife became getting an heir. Johnny was ruled by his emotions like Charles, johnny threw over a woman for Frances, Charles kept his Camilla and de facto threw over Diana.

How anyone can not see the legion of similarities in the two relationships just baffles me :happy17:
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

sandy

Diana was underage at 16 and Charles surely would not have started dating a 16 year old. At the time, he was waiting for Amanda Knatchbull to grow up. Great Uncle Mountbatten put Amanda and Charles is close proximity and nobody noticed because she was a cousin of Charles. Charles even wrote to Mountbatten and noticed how "beautiful" Amanda was getting to be. Mountbatten was still alive at the time and was very influential with Charles.

In 1979-80, Sarah was planning her marriage and this was her priority. She and her husband are still very much together. She was a newlywed during the courtship of Charles and Diana.

Diana had no trouble producing heirs. Frances took about 10 years to produce a son that survived. But once Charles got the heirs, that was that with his marriage to Diana.

Where was it quoted that Sarah said "this could have been all  mine?" Sarah "won" so to speak because her marriage lasted. I doubt she would have traded her happy marriage with her  husband for a marriage to Charles. I don't think she loved Charles much less wanted to marry him.

As I said it really would have bothered Sarah if Diana started dating the Duke of Westminster. She really wanted to marry him.

Charles maybe more had a 'meh' reaction for her.

royalanthropologist

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on January 09, 2018, 02:57:30 PM

How anyone can not see the legion of similarities in the two relationships just baffles me :happy17:

Well spotted. Diana was looking for a father figure. Unfortunately for her she ended up with probably the worst husband she could pick for someone of her temperament. Needy, immature, naive, emotional and stubborn....there was really nothing positive that Charles could do for her since he had an almost replica temperament. But alas, it sometimes happens that girls pick a man that is exactly like their dad but hope that he can make up for the mistakes their dad made. Diana was not alone or unique in this.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Amanda rejected his proposal, and while Dickie wanted them to marry, the IRA didnt give him a second chance to try and make that happen, or to give his advice, whether it would have been yea or nay to marrying Diana. But given what he wanted Charles to have in a wife, I doubt he'd have objected to her. He wouldnt have cared about her well being, and likely would have underestimated her steely resolve to have her way heard.

Diana was 16 at the time, but he found her "jolly and full of life" and invited her to dances when Sarah was dumbfounded as to why she was invited.

Even though Frances and Diana took different amount of years to produce heirs, the end result was the same for both after they provided them. You just cant show that their marriages werent very similar.
Quote from: royalanthropologist on January 09, 2018, 03:26:40 PM
Well spotted. Diana was looking for a father figure. Unfortunately for her she ended up with probably the worst husband she could pick for someone of her temperament. Needy, immature, naive, emotional and stubborn....there was really nothing positive that Charles could do for her since he had an almost replica temperament. But alas, it sometimes happens that girls pick a man that is exactly like their dad but hope that he can make up for the mistakes their dad made. Diana was not alone or unique in this.

:goodpost: RA, now back to sandy

How many times have I proved you wrong with finding quotes of stuff, too many times....dont even go there....im not going to waste my time, you find it and tell me why its wrong.

sandy

Yes Duch now back to me. You did not prove me wrong I disagreed with your opinion and I have posted links to back them up. Diana was not asked out by Charles when she was underage. He met her in a plowed field (as he said) and said she was a jolly 16 year old. Her invite came to Charles' evening event when she was of age and had turned 18. Charles would never "go there" and date under aged women.

I read a biography of Frances and she spoke of the marriage to John. It's out there. It was not a carbon copy of Diana's life with Charles by any means. Had Frances had a son early on it is subject to speculation if the marriage could have worked.

And I am talking of when Mountbatten was alive. He died in 1979.

Quote from: royalanthropologist on January 09, 2018, 03:26:40 PM

Charles selected her. She got a lemon Charles was too self entitled and selfish to be a real husband. He even tried to deal with his marriage by going to Camilla and his sycophantic friends. Diana said she wanted a happy marriage with  a husband and have children.

TLLK

@Duch_Luver_4ever -I'm going to go back to your original topic now. I liked that Diana kept her sense of humor when meeting with the public. She was willing to laugh with them or at silly things that would inevitably happen during her public engagements. IMO she has left a lasting impact upon how the BRF now conducts themselves when they interact with people. They seem more relaxed and willing to enjoy themselves when possible and appropriate.

Kritter

Quote from: sandy on January 09, 2018, 03:37:16 PM
Yes Duch now back to me. You did not prove me wrong I disagreed with your opinion and I have posted links to back them up. Diana was not asked out by Charles when she was underage. He met her in a plowed field (as he said) and said she was a jolly 16 year old. Her invite came to Charles' evening event when she was of age and had turned 18. Charles would never "go there" and date under aged women.

I read a biography of Frances and she spoke of the marriage to John. It's out there. It was not a carbon copy of Diana's life with Charles by any means. Had Frances had a son early on it is subject to speculation if the marriage could have worked.

And I am talking of when Mountbatten was alive. He died in 1979.

Charles selected her. She got a lemon Charles was too self entitled and selfish to be a real husband. He even tried to deal with his marriage by going to Camilla and his sycophantic friends. Diana said she wanted a happy marriage with  a husband and have children.

:goodpost:    :thumbsup:    :nod:

Duch_Luver_4ever

I didnt say Charles dated her when she was underage (and if british tv is any indicator till at least the mid late 90s, 16 was the age of consent in the UK) just that he noticed her and was likely keeping her in mind for when he turned 30 and was then ready to consider marriage. Diana was also invited to a dance when he was seeing Sarah, she was upset Diana got the invite and Diana said that she did want to go and didnt know why she was invited.

Anyone thats been on the this thread the last few years has seen the many times ive refuted what you say, often with Diana's own video/audio recorded words, so you can try and peddle that to newbs like Kritter, but the rest of us arent buying it.

Yes @TLLK im glad you brought us on track, I think shes had an immense impact on how the royals carry themselves with the public, and next to her charitable work, it is the biggest impact shes had on the RF and UK, living long after her.

I remember a picture of her crouching down and sharing a childs juicebox that the wee one offered. Youd have never seen the QM or HM do that!!!

sandy

Charles at the time had various women he was interested in. In one Charles biography I read he was so besotted with Anna Wallace that he begged her to take him back after their fight. She didn't.

Diana's invite came to the royal event came when she turned 18 (of age) and this would have been ca. 1979. Sarah had set a date with her fiancee to wed in 1978 but they put the wedding off until 1980 (they never broke the engagement).  So she was "taken" and maybe annoyed that Diana came but she was over Charles and engaged to another by then.

I disagree and have disagreed  with you. And I have posted links to back up my statements. Of course you disagreed with me but I would not put it the way you did that you "corrected me" many times. Not so. You don't speak for the "rest" Duch. And no I did don't "indoctrinate" people. I put up information about what I read.

I don't "peddle anything." I express opinions.

TLLK

No problem @Duch_Luver_4ever as I believe this is a worthy topic and would like to see it on track.

We now see photos like this one taken at the Women's Institute Centenary. (The knife had become stuck in the cake and HM could not retrieve it without assistance.) Look how relaxed QEII, Anne and Sophie are with the WI ladies. https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/queen-elizabeth-1024-1.jpg

Now did you mean QM as Queen Mary or QEQM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother? Queen Mary-no I don't believe that she'd ever be as relaxed but then again it was a very different world. QEQM-was IMO the member of the BRF who was most adept at meet and greet until Diana's arrival. Her "commoner" upbringing as the daughter of an earl and life experiences seemed to bring her closer to the public than her royal in-laws IMO.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Thats a great example @TLLK of a snap we wouldnt have seen 30 years ago. I know media pundits poo poo it, but I do think for the monarchy to thrive and be relevant in the 21st century, they need more of this. Diana knew that the people could be reached through the heart much easier and faithfully than the hard fist of royal power of bygone eras.

Trudie

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on January 09, 2018, 03:28:26 PM
Amanda rejected his proposal, and while Dickie wanted them to marry, the IRA didnt give him a second chance to try and make that happen, or to give his advice, whether it would have been yea or nay to marrying Diana. But given what he wanted Charles to have in a wife, I doubt he'd have objected to her. He wouldnt have cared about her well being, and likely would have underestimated her steely resolve to have her way heard.

Diana was 16 at the time, but he found her "jolly and full of life" and invited her to dances when Sarah was dumbfounded as to why she was invited.

Even though Frances and Diana took different amount of years to produce heirs, the end result was the same for both after they provided them. You just cant show that their marriages werent very similar.
:goodpost: RA, now back to sandy

How many times have I proved you wrong with finding quotes of stuff, too many times....dont even go there....im not going to waste my time, you find it and tell me why its wrong.

How pompous of you to even go there Sandy has proven you wrong many times however, only you have had the audacity as you did last may on this very board to demand apologies. I suggest you read the posts a little more carefully. I find it refreshing that you can pat yourself on the back when someone favors your post but when one disagrees it is NOW Back TO with an attack that is not in the spirit of this forum.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Quote from: Trudie on January 09, 2018, 05:11:35 PM
How pompous of you to even go there Sandy has proven you wrong many times however, only you have had the audacity as you did last may on this very board to demand apologies. I suggest you read the posts a little more carefully. I find it refreshing that you can pat yourself on the back when someone favors your post but when one disagrees it is NOW Back TO with an attack that is not in the spirit of this forum.

We must be reading different fourms as I have repeatedly proven her wrong when she casts doubt on things that dont fit her narrative with Diana's own words. You three live in a deluded, dogmatic dreamworld.

sandy

I was there Duch. No you did not "repeatedly" prove me wrong. I sent links and quotes to back up my comment. It is an opinion board not something where someone makes it a competition.

I notice that even when Carling denied he had an affair you don't believe it. That's your right but it does not mean that you 'proved me wrong."

Duch_Luver_4ever

Im not talking about things like Carling, im talking about times you said Diana didnt say something or do something, and I posted links with her own words confirming what I said. Remember the whole Diana trying to get Sarah's ex boyfriends to date her, I posted her own words saying she did it when you said she didnt say it.

Then there was another time something from the tapes was used showing she said something that directly contradicted what you said about her. Honestly ive lost count the number of times things like that have happened.