Something that you like about Diana

Started by Duch_Luver_4ever, January 07, 2018, 01:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duch_Luver_4ever

In hashing out the events of the WoW and looking at all sides, means that there are times that to be fair, one has to look at the less than ideal parts of those times. But to show SOME that im not a total bugbear, I thought this would be a good thread to try out, with people saying something they like about Diana.

I'll start off: Early in the story, likely early 81, when the rush to get out books about her, I remember reading about the time she danced backwards with the poor fella in the wheelchair so that he could dance like all the other people could. I just remember thinking "of course you would think to do something like that". She just radiated such sweetness and kindness, all it took was one look to know and understand that on a visceral level. I think that was the essence of her appeal, was what she was constantly radiating out to people, beyond the surface looks.

"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Kritter

^I like the person that Diana was & the strength she showed.    :biggrin:

TLLK

I was a senior in high school when the engagement announcement was made so I was immediately interested in this story.  They married on my 18th birthday so I recall getting up a 3AM to watch the live coverage of their wedding. At the time I remember  liking her hairstyle and fashion.  Later I learned to appreciate her interaction and engagement with the people of the UK. 

Duch_Luver_4ever

Quote from: Kritter on January 07, 2018, 01:18:30 AM
^I like the person that Diana was & the strength she showed.    :biggrin:

She often got too little credit for how strong she was, especially in those early years.

Quote from: TLLK on January 07, 2018, 01:19:27 AM
I was a senior in high school when the engagement announcement was made so I was immediately interested in this story.  They married on my 18th birthday so I recall getting up a 3AM to watch the live coverage of their wedding. At the time I remember  liking her hairstyle and fashion.  Later I learned to appreciate her interaction and engagement with the people of the UK. 

Ah yes, that hair....I liked that in Angola with the Halo trust event, it was the closest she got to that original style. I remember showing some younger ppl pics of her from that time and thier first comment was about how great the hairstyle was.

You know how much I like the Sloane clothes, they were just perfect for that time in her life, her job, the whole persona, etc.

***The thread can be about anything you liked, either looks, clothes, personality, something she did, etc. My purpose wasnt to vex RA, on the contrary, she has said nice things about Diana, I thought you might fall out of your chair to see me say something that you might not attribute to a dislike of Diana LOL ***
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Curryong

I adored Diana, and for me the fact that she cared about others is the primary reason I admired as well as liked her. She wasn't afraid to hold the hands of people who were hurting, of giving someone a hug when she felt they needed it. Diana operated on instinct. She had a sort of inner radar that directed her to people in a room who were lonely or sad I think, and she was wonderful with sick people, of whatever age. That's one of the main things I remember about her and I always will.

royalanthropologist

The things I liked about Diana was that she had empathy for people regardless of their class, age or social status. Her touching that man with AIDS was a highlight. To me it showed that it was not all just about PR but a genuine concern for those that had been excluded.

On a superficial level, Diana had an exceptional taste in fashion. She made the dresses rather than them making her. And of course she was drop dead gorgeous. Don't think there will ever be a princess quite like her again. I am loathe to admit it but I grudgingly admire her for refusing to accept a marriage of convenience. It takes a lot of courage and conviction to give up all that for your principles.

As for not reading my posts, nobody should worry about that. I don't take offense.  I sometimes do ostriching of my own by not reading things that I do not want to hear or that distress me too much. It is natural and part of being a human being.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Trudie

There one thing I liked about Diana was her refusal to take no for an answer with her desire to highlight certain charities. When Diana decided to champion AIDS the RF were not in favor of it Diana took it on anyway. Diana had courage in an environment that was difficult to stick to your convictions.

TLLK

QuoteIn hashing out the events of the WoW and looking at all sides, means that there are times that to be fair, one has to look at the less than ideal parts of those times. But to show SOME that im not a total bugbear, I thought this would be a good thread to try out, with people saying something they like about Diana

@Duch_Luver_4ever -Thank you for starting this positive thread because I agree that when we're discussing the WoW that the conversation will inevitably include the good, the not so good and all things in between.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Youre welcome @TLLK I thought after a flurry of locked posts we needed some holiday cheer instead of the usual post mortem of the minutiae of the many twists and turns of the WoW.

Another thing I liked was that incredible smile with her head down, looking up from that fringe of golden hair, how many millions have just melted from that look.

While they did a horrible thing to her, her family, friends and even herself had actions that set her headed towards that trap and things that happened afterwards that bear examining to understand more fully what happened. For example the issue with her family's preparation for her really increases my sympathy for her.

With better instruction and a willingness to take on one of the several decent chaps she saw before Charles, she could have avoided the whole thing. To me, having her avoid pain and suffering and be taken care of is more important than trying to nail C&C's hide to the wall. Thats why I bring up the things I do. :flower:

TLLK

QuoteYoure welcome @TLLK I thought after a flurry of locked posts we needed some holiday cheer instead of the usual post mortem of the minutiae of the many twists and turns of the WoW
Yes I agree that it is a welcome change from the usual back and forth regard WoW.

royalanthropologist

You should not have to apologize for your views or change them in order to suit someone's internal prejudices. That is thought police territory....not a discussion thread. You always write sensibly and politely.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Duch_Luver_4ever

Quote from: royalanthropologist on January 08, 2018, 06:37:06 AM
You should not have to apologize for your views or change them in order to suit someone's internal prejudices. That is thought police territory....not a discussion thread. You always write sensibly and politely.

Thanks for the writing kudos @royalanthropologist  :friends: I hope my thread hasnt come off as an apology, maybe that was an unintended outcome I didnt foresee. :blank: I agree, thought police is more alive today than past eras.

[

While what you say is partly true, there also was hints that knowledge of C&C was not as covered up as previously thought pre marriage. Also Diana dated (innocently ) several fine men who could have made a fine husband before Charles, but she was fixated on being PssoW.

It may have been youthful exuberance, but she was also playing a game of holding out for a man for less than altrustic reasons, just like Charles chose her. I think she thought she could elbow out Camilla, as the boys doc shows (and I can attest) that men usually just melted for her.

Im reminded of an investment maxim that neatly explains the situation, dont invest in something you dont understand. Diana went all in on Charles without heeding the warnings, also wasnt warned enough by her support(cough) system and her understanding of the situation left her a big blind spot that caused her a lot of pain.

Its one thing to focus on what was done wrong, but it always better to avoid a situation rather than wish it didnt happen, or bemoan the antagonists, and one has to examine the options for avoidance that adds some complexity to the situation, that time and access to info has revealed.

Kritter

So you think Diana should have been able to see the future & because she couldn't deserved what she got. I don't even know where you get the idea that she was fixated on being the POW. I find that ludicrous since she did not chase after Charles to get the title, she was selected by Charles & his Nanny/Mistress.

What thoughts you have in your mind have nothing to do with me & I am not forcing you to do anything. I just state my opinion as I do with any royal. That is what we do here.

At least I do not call other posters "Liars" because they have a different opinion than mine or are better versed in their opinion. Only a thin skinned childish person would do that IMO. I am not saying you are the one that did that so no need come back & explain that you didn't do that.

sandy

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on January 08, 2018, 03:08:46 PM
Thanks for the writing kudos @royalanthropologist  :friends: I hope my thread hasnt come off as an apology, maybe that was an unintended outcome I didnt foresee. :blank: I agree, thought police is more alive today than past eras.

While what you say is partly true, there also was hints that knowledge of C&C was not as covered up as previously thought pre marriage. Also Diana dated (innocently ) several fine men who could have made a fine husband before Charles, but she was fixated on being PssoW.

It may have been youthful exuberance, but she was also playing a game of holding out for a man for less than altrustic reasons, just like Charles chose her. I think she thought she could elbow out Camilla, as the boys doc shows (and I can attest) that men usually just melted for her.

Im reminded of an investment maxim that neatly explains the situation, dont invest in something you dont understand. Diana went all in on Charles without heeding the warnings, also wasnt warned enough by her support(cough) system and her understanding of the situation left her a big blind spot that caused her a lot of pain.

Its one thing to focus on what was done wrong, but it always better to avoid a situation rather than wish it didnt happen, or bemoan the antagonists, and one has to examine the options for avoidance that adds some complexity to the situation, that time and access to info has revealed.

Diana was not 'fixated' on becoming Princess of Wales.  She was on the "list" of eligible aristo women for Prince Charles to court. Charles before he dated Diana courted Amanda Knatchbull and Anna Wallace respectively. Amanda turned down his proposal then Anna ditched him when he paid too much attention to Camilla at a party. So Diana was next on the list and he courted her.

What warnings? Diana's mother told her biographer she kept the misgivings she had to herself.  Camilla somehow was airbrushed out of the Anna-Charles breakup. Instead it was Charles paying too much attention to his grandmother and ignoring Anna. Camilla was presented as the safe married friends who approved or disapproved of Charles girlfriends.  This was in the literature of that time period.

Charles most likely sweet talked Diana (as demonstrated by that note he left her the day before the wedding. She believed in him and he would say goodbye to his exes. He didn't say goodbye to Camilla as Diana found out during the honeymoon.

Charles had no business courting Diana if he did not love her.

Holding out for a man?! She was only 19 years old, not 29. She was very young. The thing was Charles needed someone with a history but no past and at 19 Diana filled the bill. Charles was advised to marry a woman of no past by his Great Uncle Mountbatten and court her before she had any serious relationships.

wannable

Her parents and elder sisters could have helped her, BUT since that family wanted to marry one of her daughters yes or yes with Prince Charles, considering that one of her elder sisters already had dated the same man she married.

Such attitudes of sisters having dated the same man is rare in society, its a minority occurrence.  Boleyn sisters come to mind, how did that end.  One decapitated, the other banned from the Sovereigns sight and if not you to will suffer the consequences, fleed to a manor in the countryside far far away.   OBVIOUSLY, times change peoples view and ways of society, evolution.

BUT YET

Imagine if Prince William would have dated Kate, then later Pippa...press and public explosion  :happy17:

sandy

Sarah IMO was not all that serious about Charles she said that he was like a "brother" to her. She fell in love with the Duke of Westminster and he dropped her. She was devastated and developed anorexia. She got involved with Charles while being treated for the anorexia. If she really wanted to marry Charles she would have said no comment to reporters instead of talking to them about Charles. She did find someone to marry and they are still married to this day.

It's not that rare for sisters to date the same man. I read about Anne Morrow Lindbergh, her sister Elisabeth married Aubrey Morgan. Elisabeth died and about two years later he married her sister Constance. So it does happen. And Morgan married two Morrow sisters.

Sarah and Diana were Nothing like the Boleyn sisters.  One sister was a mistress and possible mother of a child of Henry and Anne was the wife. I doubt Sarah slept with Charles considering that she said he was like a brother to her. Her great love back then was the Duke of Westminster.

I don't think it would have been a big deal if William married Pippa but highly unlikely after dating Kate for 10 years

wannable

Giving an example of other sisters doesn't change the fact that in those times to-date doesn't make it rare.

It was and still is rare to have 2 members of your family switch turns to date 1 same man, to marry her off.

In any case, if Diana was too young to figure it out, I fully blame her parents, first because of the above, seeing it normal is not normal, as it is a fact that it is rare that time, before then, now in the western world with the kind of society, culture in the UK, non mormons, non muslims, non whatever religion where multiple girlfriends or a man can screw same family member sisters...

sandy

Unless everybody in the world is surveyed, there is no knowing how "rare" it is. Recently I know of a person who had grandparents. When her grandfather died on his mother's side and the grandmother died on his father's side. The widowed grandparents then married each other.

It was not a scandal. Sarah did not want to marry Charles IMO. If she did she would have said no comment. Charles is not exactly a prize and she fell in love with the man she was going to marry and is still married to him.

How do you know Sarah and Charles had sex? She said he was like a brother to her. It was not as if Diana would get arrested or anything like that.

I don't get why this is such a big deal. It is  not as if Charles married them both.

Mary of Teck was engaged to Eddy and later George. So what's the big deal about Charles later courting Diana. And why is Diana blamed for it. Maybe Charles should have made Diana taboo if he were that fussy.

wannable

It may be normal or no big deal to you, but to a majority in society try to find if in their family an outsider comes to date one member didn't work, let me date the other member, whichever gender.

If this was a case of a majority or even a minority as a historical fact, then it would be available the study, analysis, etc. in the internet, hence it is rare case of study of a very few hundred (s) and I'm being too generous out of an entire population, at least in the western hemisphere.

and then you also have in those case studies the psychological factor, not all of the involved will be all right with it, one of the parties ends up with a broken heart, because the other wasn't in love, hence decided the little sister or brother was the one or what he/she thinks to be, what if case study breakup was with the 2 members, the after psychological affect/effect. Diana is allegedly lucky that Charles and Sarah were okay with their own breakup.

sandy

But it is not a criminal offense or "shocking."  Sometimes people do fall in love.

Sarah did not love Charles, obviously. She was dismissive of him in that interview.

It would have been a different story if both had Dated the Duke of Westminster. Sarah had a breakdown over his breaking up with her.

Unfortunately Diana fell in love with Charles which was a bad thing.

Diana did not "steal" Charles from Sarah. She was underage for one thing and Charles was serious about two other women pre Diana. So he did not jump from one to the other in a week.

Some perspective is needed on this.

You don't know how the majority think.

I recall there was no "horror of horrors" reaction to Diana being engaged to Charles.

royalanthropologist

Some people can dish it out but never take it. An untruth is a lie whichever way you dress it up.  As for thin skins, we know where that comes from. Those that begin to insult when they are clearly losing the argument. They "who will not read posts of an opposite view" but somehow keep mentioning other people in their posts.That is what happens when you treat royalty and celebs as personal friends or personal enemies. Can't quite detach from the argument.

Double post auto-merged: January 08, 2018, 10:16:22 PM

Quote from: Kritter on January 08, 2018, 03:48:08 PM
At least I do not call other posters "Liars" because they have a different opinion than mine or are better versed in their opinion. Only a thin skinned childish person would do that IMO. I am not saying you are the one that did that so no need come back & explain that you didn't do that.

I have called out a lie before precisely because it is an "untruth". Nothing about the poster, just the post. As for calling posters "thin skinned childish person"; I suppose that is on par with polite considerate posting.  Some people really do lack self-awareness it seems.

Double post auto-merged: January 08, 2018, 10:33:16 PM

Quote from: sandy on January 08, 2018, 04:19:32 PM

It's not that rare for sisters to date the same man.

Very unwise and rather disturbing thing to do, dating your sister's ex.

sandy

This is not about posters, it's about Diana.

So why are you not shocked by the Great Man for asking out two sisters? Oh that's right it's always DIana's fault for accepting invitations from Charles. There would have been no invite if Charles did not invite DIana or Sarah.

I don't think Sarah did want to marry CHarles. For goodness sakes all this "shock" as if Charles dated them on alternate days of the week.

Mary was never criticized for accepting  the proposal her dead fiance's brother, George. They had a successful marriage, so what's the problem?

Kritter

Not just females though Henry VIII married his brothers widow.

I think Sarah & Charles were just friends that spent time together & that does happen all the time.

sandy

Sarah was very upset over the breakup with the Duke of Westminster. She dated Charles during the time she was getting help for anorexia nervosa.  If she were serious about Charles she never would have commented about him to the media.

royalanthropologist

Quote from: sandy on January 08, 2018, 11:38:04 PM
This is not about posters, it's about Diana.

I was responding directly to a poster with their passive aggressive attacks against other posters. If you read my response carefully, you will see it has context. No good telling me about the topic thread when it is someone else that is throwing the red herrings and personal comments (as they do on several occasions when things are not going their way).

As for dating your sister's ex boyfriend or lover or whatever, I find it strange.