Author Topic: Death of King Mihai (Michael) of Romania  (Read 288 times)

Offline TLLK

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
Death of King Mihai (Michael) of Romania
« on: December 05, 2017, 09:06:29 PM »
King Michael of Romania Is Dead at 96 - The New York Times

The king was one of the last heads of state from WWII. He was related to many of the members of Europe's royal families, including Britain's Duke of Edinburgh. He was predeceased by his wife Queen Anne. His eldest daughter Margarita is the caretaker of the throne. His youngest daughter Princess Marie was at his beside when he passed away.

King Michael of Romania, who was credited with pre-emptively saving thousands of lives in World War II when, at 22, he had the audacity to arrest the country?s dictator, a puppet of Hitler, died on Tuesday at his residence in Switzerland. He was 96.

The King will lie in state at Pelesh Castle in Romania.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:21:16 PM by TLLK »

Online Curryong

• Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    70%
    • Favorite royal: The Queen and Prince Harry
Re: Death of King Mihai (Michael) of Romania
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 09:24:37 PM »
So the King is dead! Even though long expected, this must be dreadful for his daughters. He is now with his loved wife. What an extraordinary life he has led, exiled for most of it yet still a King deeply concerned for his homeland and people. I suppose there will be a State funeral and burial in Romania. He was a cousin of Prince Philip's and they played together in boyhood. Perhaps Charles will represent his father. Too far to go, too cold, for Prince Philip now.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:27:24 PM by Curryong »

The following users thanked this post: TLLK

Offline TLLK

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 10:18:11 PM »
Regele Mihai a murit. Majestatea Sa avea 96 de ani - YouTube

A lovely clip with film footage from his long and incredible life.I'm happy for him that he was able to return to his homeland after it had thrown off the shackles of Nazi and Communist rule. While he never regained the throne, he was considered to be  a respected elder statesman in his country. I agree @Curryong that Charles is the one most likely to attend due to his connections with Romania and his friendship with CP Margarita.

With his death, I believe this just leaves former King Simeon of Bulgaria as one of the last WWII heads of state and his fellow former "boy king" of the Balkans.

Double post auto-merged: December 06, 2017, 06:35:54 AM

CP Margareta's statement to the people of Romania.

Declaration of the new Head of the Royal House of Romania
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:35:55 AM by TLLK »

Online amabel

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    14%
    • Favorite royal: Anne Boleyn
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 01:28:14 PM »
Sad but inevitable.  I am sure tat he was lost without his wife. 

Offline TLLK

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 08:26:38 PM »
King Michael's body will be returned to Romania on Wed. 12/13/17. He'll then lie in state for three days. Funeral to be held on Sat. 12/16/17. More details in the link below.

Program of the funeral of King Michael I of Romania | Familia Regal? a Rom?niei / Royal Family of Romania

Online Curryong

• Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    70%
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 09:08:09 PM »
The laying in State and funeral will undoubtedly be an unforgettable occasion for grieving Romanians. I do wonder about the future of the Romanian royal House, however. There have been so many disruptions, controversies, the motivations of Radu, King Michael's son in law, challenges from the Hohenzollen branch over male promigenture as per House rules, the banishment of grandson Nicholas Medworth Mills, and deportment of the King's younger daughters. And how can Crown Princess Margerita call herself Queen with no authority from her country? 

Online amabel

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    14%
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 09:15:25 PM »
I hope they will give up any pretensions to the throne.  they are liked it seems in Rumania, as special patrons of the country, and if they want to go on doing charity work, for the people I think it si a great idea.  But give up the idea of its becoming a monarchy again

Offline TLLK

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 10:00:07 PM »
Good points @amabel and @Curryong. I understand that she will use the title Queen according to some articles, but I don't believe that they'll seek a restoration of the monarchy anytime soon.

Princess Margareta to become Queen after King Michael?s death
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:12:04 PM by TLLK »

Offline LouisFerdinand

• Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    94%
    • Favorite royal: King William IV of Great Britain
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 08:35:01 AM »
It is a very sad time. It is unfortunate that the Christmas holiday is only a few weeks away, a very joyous occasion.

Offline TLLK

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!

Online amabel

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    14%
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 12:29:34 PM »
Good points @amabel and @Curryong. I understand that she will use the title Queen according to some articles, but I don't believe that they'll seek a restoration of the monarchy anytime soon.

Princess Margareta to become Queen after King Michael?s death
I thnk it is quite ridiculous.  the RF are lucky that they are still liked in Roumania, and I think that's partly due to King Michael, but there does not seem to be a sutiable heir and I don't think that the Rumanians want them back as a RF.  They are happy to have some connection, for historical reasons but I think that they look foolish if they are still trying to act like they are claiming the throne.

Offline TLLK

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!

Offline TLLK

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 04:17:27 AM »
Margareta, Custodele Coroanei rom?ne s-a adresat Parlamentului Rom?niei | Familia Regal? a Rom?niei / Royal Family of Romania

Margareta addresses the Romanian Parliament. I noticed that she is now being referred to as HM The Custodian of the Crown.

Online Curryong

• Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    70%
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 04:37:12 AM »
Well, that is a nice compromise title, I think. Especially as Margareta isn't really a sovereign, but it deeply committed to Romania and to her father's legacy.

Offline TLLK

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 09:18:09 PM »
King Michael's casket has arrived in Romania.

Video Bat clopotele pentru Rege | Stiriletvr.ro - Site-ul de stiri al TVR-Video in Romanian

Double post auto-merged: December 14, 2017, 05:11:16 AM

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed/2017/12/13/former_king_michael_i_repatriation_ceremony,_bucharest-Photos from today.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 05:11:17 AM by TLLK »

Offline TLLK

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 10:04:18 PM »
Official list from Romanian Royal Family of the foreign royals who will attend the funeral. It's a mix of reigning and non-reigning houses.  In Romanian but it should be easy enough to sort out the names. The Romanian royals are related to nearly every royal house through their connections to the UK's Queen Victoria and Denmark's  Christian XI's descendants.

Familiile Regale participante la funeraliile Regelui Mihai I | Familia Regal? a Rom?niei / Royal Family of Romania  :xmas3:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:06:25 PM by TLLK »

Online Curryong

• Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    70%
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 10:12:06 PM »
Yes it is easy, and a very distinguished group indeed gathered to pay tribute to the late King. He had connections all over, both familial and through friendships. The King and Queen of Sweden there and Juan Carlos and Sophia of Spain. I see Constantine of Greece won't be there but his wife and son will be, Charles solo but that was expected. Philip was just too old and frail to travel and Charles has a great interest in Romania anyway.

Offline TLLK

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 10:18:06 PM »
^^^I noticed Constantine's absence too. I wonder if his mobility and health issues are keeping him at home, but I'm glad to see that Queen Anne Marie, Prince Nikolas and Princess Irene will be in attendance for the Greek Royal Family.

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2017, 05:53:25 AM »
Funeral of former King Michael I of Romania | Newmyroyals & Hollywood Fashion

Today, on December 5, funeral of Romanian former King Michael I who lost his life in Aubonne city of Switzerland was held. Representatives of Royal houses attended the funeral of King Michael held in Bucharest city of Romania. King Juan Carlos of Spain and Queen Sofia of Spain, King Carl Gustaf Sweden and Queen Silvia of Sweden, Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz of Belgium, Britain's Prince Charles, Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece was present at the funeral.

Offline TLLK

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2017, 10:58:28 PM »

Royal Insight Forum is not responsible for the content of external sites