Duchess originals: meet the commoners who married into aristocracy

Started by PrincessOfPeace, September 01, 2014, 12:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessOfPeace

The Carole snobs must eat their words

QuoteThe women here are part of a select group of 24 who have become duchesses by marrying into the British aristocracy. But, they tell Jane Dismore, their role today is far from tiaras and titles
The title of duchess has long been part of Britain's heritage. In 2011, it was brought up to date

The Duchess of Cambridge with the marriage of Prince William and Catherine Middleton, when the Queen conferred a number of titles on her grandson, among them Duke of Cambridge. Catherine joined that select group of the highest-ranking duchesses, well-known royals whose husbands are dukes as members of the Royal Family.

Another group of women sit one notch down from royalty, but at the top of the aristocratic tree with their dukes. These non-royal duchesses, of whom there are just 24, enjoy titles that were bestowed by monarchs for centuries but they are a dying breed: it is unlikely that any more non-royal dukedoms will be created
More: Duchess Originals | Mail Online

Limabeany

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Limabeany

So, the only Duchess that doesn't have to do anything but look pretty is a Royal Kate... How convenient for her , kudos to her mother for steering her in the only direction in which she could do well. An aristocrat who needs do nothing at all but shop.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

tiaras

OF course they have to work hard , they dont have TP funding for their large castles and estates , that are crumbling and falling apart , unlike kate who can renovate to her hearts content with a limitless credit card lol . the royal family is completely different from these aristrocrats , they cant be compared to the firm  :orchid:

Lady Adams

I love this quote by Jane Richard, the Duchess of Northumberland:

"In today's world, you're only as good as what you do, which is the way it should be. If you do something and you don't do it well, whether you're a duchess or not, you've failed."
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

SophieChloe

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

PrincessOfPeace

I think you should always try your best.

Quote from: Lady Adams on September 01, 2014, 02:10:24 PM
I love this quote by Jane Richard, the Duchess of Northumberland:

"In today's world, you're only as good as what you do, which is the way it should be. If you do something and you don't do it well, whether you're a duchess or not, you've failed."

Trudie

Quote from: Limabeany on September 01, 2014, 12:57:34 PM
So, the only Duchess that doesn't have to do anything but look pretty is a Royal Kate... How convenient for her , kudos to her mother for steering her in the only direction in which she could do well. An aristocrat who needs do nothing at all but shop.

Really Limabeany? lets give Kate credit where it is due. It is hard work doing nothing all day and not look bored. As for shopping that in its self is full time either on the High Street or on line after all it is easy to be a stay at home Mummy with a nanny to help when it gets to be all too much.  :happy15:

Curryong

^^ Well, Kate does walk around when she's shopping so maybe she's keeping fit at the same time!