Sentebale

Started by Hale, October 16, 2010, 12:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rebound

Who is paying for the garden? Who pays for the plants and the people who actually do the work? Do Mr. Keightley and the workers donate their time? Does the money for it all come from W,K, & H's foundation, or is it funded by taxpayers?

What will Harry do, besides showing up when the Queen attends?

Rebound

Maybe Harry could just do a youtube video of what he might like the garden to look like. It would save a lot of work and time. But then, no jobs for unskilled workers, hardly any money for charity. But videographer and editor would get paid. But the taxpayers might have to support more scroungers in the form of unemployed gardeners.

Aargh!  Economics, thou art a heartless b***h!!

TLLK

Quote from: Rebound on November 19, 2014, 12:16:24 AM
Maybe Harry could just do a youtube video of what he might like the garden to look like. It would save a lot of work and time. But then, no jobs for unskilled workers, hardly any money for charity. But videographer and editor would get paid. But the taxpayers might have to support more scroungers in the form of unemployed gardeners.

Aargh!  Economics, thou art a heartless b***h!!

:notworthy: :goodpost:

Rebound

Well, if Charles gives Balmoral to the UK, and if it costs 3million per year to operate, you may wish for a RF to take it back. And if you get a republic, you may end up with Sandringham and Windsor as well. The RF has a monetary effect on the country, both plus and minus.

I guess I didn't make my point very well. I was trying to say that the economic impact of the RF hasn't really been examined. Perhaps further study would show that they add more to the economy than people think.  If the UK doesn't have a RF, there won't be a Harry's garden. That would have economic impact on the profits of the garden show and fewer gardeners would be employed. If Harry isn't a royal getting good PR for his charity or for the military, it has economic impact. It isn't just a matter of they cost taxpayers' money. They also generate money through charities, duchies, and good will. Yes, good will has an economic impact.

When a member of the RF visits a town, it generates money for the town. People come to see them and spend money on gas, flowers, signs, food, maybe lodging, maybe decide to visit historic places in town, or shop. Sometimes buildings are repaired, and the town spruces up. All that is a benefit to the area.

It isn't just a matter of being called a subject. I don't think the royals think of people that way, at least the younger royals don't.
The royals have a cost, and a benefit. That's the way I see it.

Curryong

:goodpost: Rebound. I totally agree!

Rebound

Snokitty, I thought republicans thought those studies were worthless because they show that the RF doesn't cost very much. That is in purely monetary terms.

wannable

The Sentebale chelsea flower show of this year was sponsored by the company B&Q, all proceeds were divided; 20 percent to Harry's charity Sentebale, 80 percent to the B&Q company.

Something for Harry's charity, rather than nothing. I personally think it was a bad negotiation. Perhaps no other company was interested in negotiating the partnership sponsorship, as they usually would absorb the costs of personnel, all the material, etc. so Sentebale had no other choice but to signed the contract. By February 2014 I recall reading Sentebale was in trouble about the display as sponsor wanted to back out, almost cancelled.

Rebound

Ah, I didn't know about those real studies. I'd love to read them. I'm very interested in economic cost/benefit analysis and economic impact. Also interested in how benefits are measured, since benefits include more than monetary benefits. Can you direct me to that/those study/studies?

Rebound

Quote from: wannable on November 19, 2014, 02:51:34 PM
The Sentebale chelsea flower show of this year was sponsored by the company B&Q, all proceeds were divided; 20 percent to Harry's charity Sentebale, 80 percent to the B&Q company.

Something for Harry's charity, rather than nothing. I personally think it was a bad negotiation. Perhaps no other company was interested in negotiating the partnership sponsorship, as they usually would absorb the costs of personnel, all the material, etc. so Sentebale had no other choice but to signed the contract. By February 2014 I recall reading Sentebale was in trouble about the display as sponsor wanted to back out, almost cancelled.

80% of the profits to the sponsor?! How does the show distribute the profits, I wonder. Does each garden get a piece of the charge to visitors? 20% of the profit of their portion of the gate for Sentebale. That is a bad deal. Doesn't sound like something Charles would get involved with. Well, at least the company is sponsoring the material and workers.  And, if the UK tax laws are similar to the US, would probably deduct the probable loss. Lots of probabilities!

wannable

Each flower, plant on display have a price. The contact B&Q for total show sale, 20 percent was for Sentebale. In the UK companies donating, sponsoring, partnership involving money cost for charity are tax exempt. There are countries that include tax exemption to other items other than charity, example donating, sponsoring sport individual, a team, a field practice.

TLLK

Quote from: Rebound on November 19, 2014, 04:23:24 AM
Well, if Charles gives Balmoral to the UK, and if it costs 3million per year to operate, you may wish for a RF to take it back. And if you get a republic, you may end up with Sandringham and Windsor as well. The RF has a monetary effect on the country, both plus and minus.

I guess I didn't make my point very well. I was trying to say that the economic impact of the RF hasn't really been examined. Perhaps further study would show that they add more to the economy than people think.  If the UK doesn't have a RF, there won't be a Harry's garden. That would have economic impact on the profits of the garden show and fewer gardeners would be employed. If Harry isn't a royal getting good PR for his charity or for the military, it has economic impact. It isn't just a matter of they cost taxpayers' money. They also generate money through charities, duchies, and good will. Yes, good will has an economic impact.

When a member of the RF visits a town, it generates money for the town. People come to see them and spend money on gas, flowers, signs, food, maybe lodging, maybe decide to visit historic places in town, or shop. Sometimes buildings are repaired, and the town spruces up. All that is a benefit to the area.

It isn't just a matter of being called a subject. I don't think the royals think of people that way, at least the younger royals don't.
The royals have a cost, and a benefit. That's the way I see it.

:goodpost: :xmas1 @Rebound

Rebound

This is so interesting, wannabe. Thank you. I had no idea about the complex nature of flower shows! Sorry for my total ignorance about this. Are the plants and flowers for sale to the public? Can someone buy an entire garden for themselves, or do the gardens go to the sponsor of the garden? That would make the selection of plants so much more difficult for a Sentebale garden because the garden is intended to be used, not just displayed.

I guess I have no idea how Lesotho's climate compares to GB. It must get cold there--I remember Harry and Will wearing cloaks and giving mittens to kids. Maybe it is a lot more dry?

wannable

^ F1 race is this Sunday, tomorrow is just practice, Saturday likewise.

QuoteEXCLUSIVE: Setting up charity to help African children was an 'emotional roller coaster' says Prince Harry
Prince Harry vowed to help the troubled children in Lesotho
Set up charity Sentebale to aid victims of extreme poverty
At the start, he and team were 'pretending we knew what we were doing'
In 2008 the charity almost went bust, despite raising millions
But now they have learned from their mistakes

Read more: Prince Harry reveals setting up Sentebale was 'emotional roller coaster'  | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook. 

Harry interviewed.  I hate saying I told you so, but viola, numbers and decisions, a couple of months ago I was bashed for saying Harry has made wrong costly decisions, including both north and south walks.

HsHCharlene

Not sure where this belongs but I found the Sentebale annual reports via another board. Looks like it isn't doing bad after all.

http://sentebale.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Sentebale-Annual-Report-Accounts-2012131.pdf

[mod]Hi @HsHCharlene - Post has been merged to here :flower:[/mod]

Limabeany

I have arthritis too @Rebound   :hug:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Limabeany

Quote from: wannable on November 21, 2014, 12:00:43 AM

QuoteEXCLUSIVE: Setting up charity to help African children was an 'emotional roller coaster' says Prince Harry

Read more: Prince Harry reveals setting up Sentebale was 'emotional roller coaster'  | Daily Mail Online

Harry interviewed.  I hate saying I told you so, but viola, numbers and decisions, a couple of months ago I was bashed for saying Harry has made wrong costly decisions, including both north and south walks.
There is nothing here to indicate the north and south walks were wrong decisions, it appears to be your opinion. There is nothing to say that Harry PERSONALLY made the wrong decisions either.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

wannable

Yes it is, he will say it in a few years, heart in sleeve interview. I've said it before financial numbers does all the talking.

TLLK

Thank you for sharing the link wannable. IMHO I have more respect for him for admitting there were errors in the charity set-up and that they were dangerously close to "going bust."

wannable

Exactly, and agreed! Rather than leaving it to the trustees to explain numbers.

Back to the this trip, this Sentebale polo charity match is great because all in all fully sponsored, so the net profit is a financial hit. It's when the costs are met with what was earned, substract the costs and oh no, that's where the problem arises. Financial numbers are an easy reading to me.

Limabeany

Quote from: wannable on November 21, 2014, 12:41:32 AM
Yes it is, he will say it in a few years, heart in sleeve interview. I've said it before financial numbers does all the talking.
The numbers prove what he said, not your opinion that he is solely responsible for that. Your statements that he is solely responsible for that and that his south and north pole treks were a costly mistake are either unfounded or your judgement/opinion.

Curryong

Harry certainly isn't solely responsible for Sentebale's early troubles. We all learn from our mistakes, costly and otherwise, including Harry, as he's admitted.

wannable

Mostly yes, he has great ideas, some of what I've mentioned in the past not financially sound, hence the bad result. He sounds grown up in this interview, perhaps he will take a No when an adventure cost may be too risky.  Invictus , like what I said of walking with the wounded activities he has brainchild could possibly fall in default. No numbers published, but I predict if repeated, government budget will take in the cost via military branch, ouch situation being carefully thought.

Limabeany

I hate saying I told you so, but viola, numbers and decisions, a couple of months ago I was bashed for saying Harry has made wrong costly decisions, including both north and south walks.
I was referring to this post @Curryong No one has said or implied that Harry doesn't make mistakes, have they? And, again I ask @wannable why were the north and south walks costly mistakes for Harry? I have never heard that before.

Other countries offered to host it in the coming years, so it can't be as bad as painful economically as you predict @wannable

HsHCharlene

I just posted the financial numbers for Sentebale and it was placed in the proper thread. The numbers clearly show the organization is doing well. It did have hiccups in the past but that was common knowledge. No where did anyone posts numbers for treks but merely expressed an opinion and slammed the rest of us for not finding the phantom information. So if anyone finds the financials for the treks and show that they were a loss then please I'd like to read it as well. If not, then all of that discussion is only talk with nothing to back it up and nothing to gloat told you so about.  :wink:

cate1949

the problem for the charity was 1) they did not raise enough money - in their early years they were raising about 250,000 pounds a year compared to over 2 million now 2) they had very high administrative costs which supposedly have been reduced now - seems to me Harry thought hiring big guns to run the charity and paying them lots would assure success.  I think he discovered he had to do more of the fundraising and he also got a new director.

So - early going errors - righted now.  I really do not see how the Antarctic trips had anything to do with this - that was for WWTW and are about creating positive images of disabled vets - showing that disability is not a barrier to achieving - doing a job.  Their intent is not fundraising per se and I think Harry's involvement was well worth the investment of time - the events got much more attention because of his involvement and it did his image good too.
Not to mention he looked great with that beard.

Invictus will always require other support - attendance can defray the cost but the US version has always gotten private corporate, foundation and Pentagon support - it simply - especially re: the training costs - is not going to be a money maker.  But that is not it's intent.  Without massive corporate support Paralympics is not supporting itself and Olympic teams also need a lot of fundraising.  Again though - the purpose of Invictus justifies the effort to find financial backing for it.  Wounded Warrior Games do not even try to make a profit - admission to all events is free whereas Invictus did try to make some money by charging for admission.  It is apparent a great deal of time was invested in getting those Games going - but I suspect anyone watching would agree it was time well spent given the results that were looked for.  And again - it certainly boosted Harry's reputation.