Sentebale

Started by Hale, October 16, 2010, 12:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Clover

I do understand why Harry selected the Sentebale event last night to give his speech, he probably feels very close to the membership and felt comfortable in their presence. I wish him well.  :thumbsup:

lk1957

In his farewell speech, could someone explain to me why Harry called The Queen or the Crown as the person who will always be his "Commander in Chief"? That is Donald Trump at the moment. Who wrote that? Does he know what country he is in?

Curryong

Quote from: lk1957 on January 20, 2020, 07:50:18 PM
In his farewell speech, could someone explain to me why Harry called The Queen or the Crown as the person who will always be his "Commander in Chief"? That is Donald Trump at the moment. Who wrote that? Does he know what country he is in?

The Queen is the Head of the Armed Forces in Britain. That is why the British (and Australian, NZ and Canadian) navy and air forces have the prefix 'Royal' in front of them.

The army doesn't, but that is for historical reasons, and partly because for many centuries in Britain there was no standing army. Men were recruited and trained to fight in county militia regiments in the 17th, 18th and early 19th centuries and the centuries before that.

Nevertheless the Queen is Commander in Chief of the Army as well. Every recruit to the armed services, every new young officer fights in her name and recites an oath of loyalty to monarch and Crown when they begin their service to Queen and Country. They serve Elizabeth II and in her name as monarch. So Harry was quite correct in his reference.

Commander-in-chief of the British Armed Forces - Wikipedia

TLLK

@Curryong-Thank you for the information for the British, Australian, New Zealand and Canadian armed forces.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: Blue Clover on January 20, 2020, 02:41:52 PM
I do understand why Harry selected the Sentebale event last night to give his speech, he probably feels very close to the membership and felt comfortable in their presence. I wish him well.  :thumbsup:
I, too, wish him well. I watched the speech and it seemed to me he was quite subdued.  He said it wasn't what he wanted, but what he wanted was not possible. I guess he did not think ahead of time that what he proposed was impossible, and that surprises me. If it was just himself I think he would have stuck it out as he was brought up, managing his PTSD and depression and picking and choosing projects that had much to do with the military and children. I don't think he hid these issues from his family. But now his major issue was what was happening to his wife, which as we all know reminded him too much of what had happened to his mother. He has given up so much for Meghan now. We really don't know her very well, but we hope and think she is worthy of his sacrifices. 

sandy

There is no record of whatever diagnoses Harry got from a professional so his exact medical conditions can only be speculated about. If Harry went to a professional, and the doctor gave him diagnoses those records are confidential.

SophieChloe

[gmod]Topic locked New thread can be found here : Sentebale - Part 2[/gmod]
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me