Polo positions

Started by pixie, July 15, 2003, 08:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixie

Something I've noticed:

When Harry plays with the Highgrove team, he always plays as #2, which is one of the offensive positions.  On some other teams, though, he plays #4, which is the most defensive spot.  (The positions are, of course, fluid, but you don't see 4's scoring   as often as 1's.)  Why do you think this is?

Is Harry being nice and letting his Dad play #4 on the Highgrove team, even though he prefers defense to offense?   And, if you support this as true, why wouldn't he play #3, which is the second most defensive spot?

Or, is Harry better at defense (why he plays #4 on all the other teams) but prefers to play offense, and does the fam just indulge him and let him play at #2?

Ah, the questions I ask when no one's posting on the board . . .
We always take a great deal of interest in American initiatives that are implicitly religious; we view them as an exotic quirk, like French presidents and their mistresses, or Austrians and their fascists.
-Zoe Williams

pixie

My thoughts:

Harry's a better 4 than 2, but he prefers 2 because he likes scoring goals and all the glory that comes with it.  The Highgrove team is not purely indulging him.  Charles is probably a better 4 than Harry is, or better at 4 than any other position, so they put him there.  Will always plays 1, so he goes there.  Harry and the pro have 2 and 3 left between them, and as Harry prefers 2 because he gets to score more goals, he goes there, even though he might be a marginally better 3 (if he is, indeed, better at defense than offense).  The pro gets stuck with 3, but hell, he's a pro and better than all of them anyway, regardeless of what position he plays.  :)  :)  :)  
We always take a great deal of interest in American initiatives that are implicitly religious; we view them as an exotic quirk, like French presidents and their mistresses, or Austrians and their fascists.
-Zoe Williams

pixie

Oh, and in case I didn't make it clear, 90% of that last post was speculation.
-Zoe Williams