Prince Harry As King: Bachelor Prince Chosen by Queen Over Prince William

Started by TheRealDuchessOfSussex, July 30, 2014, 12:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRealDuchessOfSussex

Prince Harry as King: Bachelor Prince Picked by Queen Over Prince William - Reports - International Business Times

William, you'll never be king now!!! :snob: :snob: :lol: : :windsor1: :orchid: :love6: :hug:

[mod]This comment was edited by a moderator because it didn't abide by our community standards (Rules and Etiquette ). :flower: [/mod]
I think I'm the only one here that has written a letter to the Queen and got a letter back from the Lady in Waiting..... :P :happy15: :wed:

cate1949

obviously - HM does not "pick" the next King - Acts of Succession - just using a sensational headline to attract the readers

Macrobug

International Business Times is a misnomer.  It is a gossip rag. :Lothwen:
GNU Terry Pratchett

Curryong

Agreed! Don't they get a lot of their stuff from the Globe, sometimes without accreditation? I can't be bothered to read it half the time except when I feel like a bit of a giggle. HM is always dying and threatening to disinherit Charles because of his lush of a wife in favour of William, but I didn't know William was now out of the succession as well!

Lady Adams

Quote from: Macrobug on July 30, 2014, 01:49:36 AM
International Business Times is a misnomer.  It is a gossip rag. :Lothwen:
:shrug: Well, we allow it as a source on here, so it's fair game.  :cool:
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Macrobug

Thank you for informing me of that.   
GNU Terry Pratchett

Lady Adams

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Macrobug

However, it is still a rag.  Allowed or not.....

And very useful (as Curryung pointed out) for a giggle or two.  But not exactly a bastion of journalism.  And has a credibility score hovering somewhere in the Marianas Trench.  The deep end.

So Lizzie is going to break tradition, go against the Law of Succession and create a constitutional crisis?   Fabulous! :Lothwen:
GNU Terry Pratchett

Lady Adams

^ Nobody's claiming it's going to win a Pulitzer. However, it's a valid source for our purposes here.

If one thinks it's a gossip rag, I'll tell you what one of my journalism professors once told us:

"Today it's front page news; tomorrow, it'll be lining the cages of gerbils, getting soiled."  :teehee:

Limabeany

Quote from: Macrobug on July 30, 2014, 03:09:33 AM
However, it is still a rag.  Allowed or not.....

And very useful (as Curryung pointed out) for a giggle or two.  But not exactly a bastion of journalism.  And has a credibility score hovering somewhere in the Marianas Trench.  The deep end.

So Lizzie is going to break tradition, go against the Law of Succession and create a constitutional crisis?   Fabulous! :Lothwen:
Rag or not, we are a forum and not  a bastion of journalism, so we are free to bring to the forum items that promote discussion of the subject-matter of the different threads, not being called a rag is not a requirement for the basis of our discussions.  :random44: If it stirs members' interest and is not against our rules, it is fabulous!  :yesss: :hug:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Canuck

It may be a valid source to post, but on the credibility scale it hovers somewhere between Lindsay Lohan's denials that she does drugs and FIFA's insistence that it's not corrupt.

Limabeany

Credibility depends on the eye of the beer-holder...  :partaay: Charles says he didn't have an affair with Camilla until his marriage broke down because he was having an affair with Camilla...  :shrug: Credibility is relative...
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Macrobug

^^I was thinking a little lower..... :P

So.  As a discussion point.   If QE did do this, would it create a constitutional crisis such as what happened in 1936?  Different scenario, of course, but still an attempt by a reigning monarch to force a change that could create chaos.

And would Harry be a good King?  He certainly would have an exciting court!  It may closely resemble the court of Charles ii.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Limabeany

Well, whatever his follies, at least Harry is not thought of as lazy, the people in his court would work, whereas William's court might resemble luxurious Louis and Marie Antoinette decadence with nothing to show for it but occasional Palace announcements saying how hard they are working while unseen...  :Jen:

Everyone knows thatHM will not do this, but it was published, and it is good that we are informed of what is published and share our views on the subject.  :happy20:

Canuck

I like Harry just fine, but I do think he gets a pass on many things because he isn't the heir and thus the press and public have lower expectations and more of a forgiving attitude toward him.  I'd note, for example, that every year Harry does fewer engagements than Will -- even when both were working full time -- but Will is viewed as lazy by some while Harry is praised as hardworking for in fact doing less work.

I do think expectations should be different for the two of them in the long run, but if Harry were to somehow become heir ahead of Will, I think he would have some serious adjustments to make.  No more partying, settling down with an appropriate woman and starting a family, taking on some of the roles Will has been taking over, etc.

Macrobug

Harry will never be on the throne (barring some horrible events) and so his career path is different than Williams.  I really can't compare the two.  But if some major cosmic shift occurs and Harry becomes King, he would have to make some significant changes. 

Starting with keeping his shirt on.  My goodness.  He needs to put weights in those things.  It is scandalous how they fly off at every opportunity.  No one destined for the crown should be showing off the goods.  What would King Edward say?? :random39:
GNU Terry Pratchett

Curryong

Edward VIII went on a tour of the Adriatic with Mrs S in the 1930's and some courtiers nearly fainted because he was photographed bare-chested, obviously by FOREIGN photographers. The British Press wouldn't publish any of the photos because the population must not be able to see their Sovereign in a half-naked condition!

I bet Kate wishes the same rules applied to the Internet!

Macrobug

And all the other royals who have ran afoul of the mischievous wind.  :nod:   And those nasty long lenses.  Curse Joseph Nicéphore Niépce !!  :windsor:
GNU Terry Pratchett

Eri

When will those ridiculous rags realize Liz doesn't pick the next Monarch?  :orchid:

Macrobug

Still think they should go for some kind of Survivor/Medieval Tourny sort of thing.   Last Royal standing gets the crown

I think Sophie could hold her own against Eugenie and Bea, but Anne would be phenomenal and pretty tough to beat. 
GNU Terry Pratchett

Curryong

Sophie would have a height advantage over Eugenie and Bea, I think, though I wouldn't be surprised at Eugenie being a tough little cookie in a contest. Anne's age and that huge mound of hair that could be grabbed might be against her a bit.
Harry would be able to beat William in a physical contest anywhere, anytime!

HsHCharlene

Quote from: Canuck on July 30, 2014, 04:02:06 AM
I like Harry just fine, but I do think he gets a pass on many things because he isn't the heir and thus the press and public have lower expectations and more of a forgiving attitude toward him.  I'd note, for example, that every year Harry does fewer engagements than Will -- even when both were working full time -- but Will is viewed as lazy by some while Harry is praised as hardworking for in fact doing less work.

I do think expectations should be different for the two of them in the long run, but if Harry were to somehow become heir ahead of Will, I think he would have some serious adjustments to make.  No more partying, settling down with an appropriate woman and starting a family, taking on some of the roles Will has been taking over, etc.

I think that William doesn't do more work than Harry because that is only based on 'official' engagement counts, not actual events done. If we were to count work engagements done, whether public or private, Harry would very likely out number both Cambridges. The work count is based on what the palace wants to give credit to, not actual work put in.

Canuck

If you know of any Royal duties that Harry is not receiving credit for, I would be very interested in seeing information about those.  My understanding is that all Royal engagements are listed in the Court Circular.

Lady Adams

The Royal Circular is a tough nut to crack, so to speak. There's no rhyme or reason why some people get credit for individual engagements at a larger engagement, and why some royal family members aren't listed at all, even when they're clearly representing the Queen.