How granny Diana would look now, by artist who painted portrait of her as a youn

Started by dianab, August 11, 2013, 04:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dianab

How granny Diana would look now, by artist who painted portrait of her as a young mum
QuotePrincess Diana looks her usual serene self in this previously unseen portrait, and only a second glance reveals that all is not what it appears to be.

The artist who produced one of the late Princess's favourite portraits in 1990 has created an updated version which imagines how she would look now at the age of 52 – and a granny.

Israel Zohar, 68, says: 'I didn't want to make her look too old because I don't think she would have aged that much.'

Zohar recalls a Diana who was totally lacking in confidence when he first painted her.

He said: 'It was funny because I had to keep reassuring her how attractive she was.'

Zohar had only come to the UK two years earlier when he was commissioned for Diana's portrait.

His work had been spotted at his first exhibition in England held at a Mayfair gallery by an officer of the 13th/18th Royal Hussars.

The regiment wanted a portrait of its colonel in chief to hang at its headquarters.

Mr Zohar expected to have to paint an old man with a moustache, but was shocked when he discovered his subject was Diana.

He worked painstakingly day and night to create his masterpiece during sittings with the Princess at Kensington Palace and at his studio in nearby South Kensington.

The princess wore the famous midnight blue Victor Edelstein gown that she wore on a visit to the White House five years earlier when she danced with John Travolta.
How granny Diana would look now, by artist who painted portrait of her as a young mum | Mail Online

Princess Diana posing at Kensington Palace while artist Israel Zohar sketched her
http://www.princess-diana-remembered.com/uploads/5/3/3/5/5335384/6244414_orig.jpg

Lothwen

My mom was 52 when she died, and she looked a lot younger than the "52 year old granny" Diana.....
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

Limabeany

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Izabella

Queen Camilla

I think the updated picture looks like Frances.

No ones knows how Diana would have looked if she had lived.  She closely resembled her sister Jane, so if we want to image Diana in her 50s look at Jane.  Look at William, would anyone have imaged when he was born, he'll be bald before 30.

SophieChloe

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

TLLK

Quote from: Queen Camilla on August 18, 2013, 10:44:19 PM
I think the updated picture looks like Frances.

No ones knows how Diana would have looked if she had lived.  She closely resembled her sister Jane, so if we want to image Diana in her 50s look at Jane.  Look at William, would anyone have imaged when he was born, he'll be bald before 30.
I agree that it looked similar to Frances. Diana's genetics, health, diet and skincare routine would have influenced how she looked. I believe she would have kept her hair in a similar style to the short one she typically wore.

Limabeany

Yes, I agree, I think she was not wearing her hair as big in the 90s. Genetically, her sister looks quite well for her age.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

TLLK

LOL Didn't think about the "big hair." She likely would have opted for a sleeker style at some point in the 2000's.

sandy

The rendition makes no sense. She would have have had the same hairdo or gown. It is like those badly aged characters in movies.

Limabeany

Quote from: TLLK on February 22, 2015, 08:55:09 PM
LOL Didn't think about the "big hair." She likely would have opted for a sleeker style at some point in the 2000's.
:nod: Her style was slicker in the 90s already. It's like he left her in a time warp!  :hehe:

TLLK

Limabeany

TLLK

Macrobug

GNU Terry Pratchett

sandy

I had seen aged Diana paintings back when she got engaged to Charles.

Limabeany