Prince William to Become Full-Time Student to Study Agricultural Management

Started by cinrit, December 30, 2013, 03:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Adams

Quote from: Macrobug on July 29, 2014, 04:50:55 AM
Ah.  I think that you would be someone who could truly debate.  I have a scientific brain.  I am just learning to debate.  In health care we operate on signs and symptoms and tests to rule out a list of possibilities.  Quite different.  Which makes it so much fun here.
I'm not sure what you meant by this, but I'm in the same boat as History Girl and completely agree with her statement that "it is a possibility that he did not finish; whether that makes sense to others that disagree is not something that I can fix." After a while, there's only so much to say, and it's easier and more fun to let someone else have the last word.  :flower:
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Macrobug

As HG stated, she has been taught to make conclusions by extrapolating info from available data.  And isn't that a cornerstone of debate?  This was meant as a compliment.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Limabeany

Quote from: Canuck on July 29, 2014, 03:42:04 AM
I agree with that, Adrienne.  Do we know 100% for certain that Will finished the course?  No.  But it is, IMO, far far more likely than the alternative, that Will for some reason dropped out of a course with one week left, when he had already completed 90% of it and there were no exams to be passed, and the BRF said nothing to explain him dropping out and no reporter received any leak from any source about that happening. 
William was vacationing at the beach 1 week of the course, vacationing in Spain another half a week of the course and at royal engagements, an additional 5 days of the 10 week course. He did not complete 90% of the course. Further, it would be illogical for KP to announce he is taking the course and not announce the end of such course unless it was not in their best interest to do so as that would have given William a tangible achievement, even without results being made public... Furthermore, I find it impossible to believe he was only photographed four or five times at Cambridge, if he attended at least 7 weeks in a row Monday through Friday...
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Limabeany

Quote from: HistoryGirl on July 29, 2014, 03:25:40 AM
^What's necessary to you may not be what is deemed necessary to others. I said that because someone posted about the "where will the reports of royalty end". To me it doesn't matter whether he finished the course or not because I've gone on record as being confused why that was not pursued as an undergrad. I don't care about it one way or another because i dont care about William; hes more of an anomaly to me more than anything else. I simply agreed with Lady Adams that it is a possibility that he did not finish; whether that makes sense to others that disagree is not something that I can fix.
:hug: I agree with you and Lady Adams. There is no evidence he completed the course. There is only evidence he attended a few times. That can be explained away, with whatever theory makes people happy, but it cannot be disputed with evidence, as there is no evidence or announcement to indicate William finished the course. It was not in the Palace's interest not to cite that as an achievement for William during what many people are still referring to as a gap year.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Canuck

Will was vacationing at the beach for 1 week, during which reports say he had no classes and at least some journalists say the course was to continue on until the end of March (which would make it 10 weeks even if he did no work while on vacation -- which many students do, of course).  Likewise, if the course continued to the end of March, that would account for the two days he missed in Spain and the couple of days for Royal engagements.  I agree with those who thinks that given this was a custom-designed course, it's likely that any time Will was away was built into it at the beginning.

And while there is no "evidence" he finished it, there is likewise no "evidence" that he did not.

Lady Adams

Quote from: Macrobug on July 29, 2014, 01:59:22 PM
As HG stated, she has been taught to make conclusions by extrapolating info from available data.  And isn't that a cornerstone of debate?  This was meant as a compliment.

I won't answer for HG, but as someone who also studied history, I will say that a robust debate is one of consideration and conversation. As soon as it delves into: "Point A!" "No, Point B!" "No, Point A!" Etc... It merely becomes counterproductive. :shrug: Some friends of mine consider "winning" a debate to be synonymous with having the last word. Obviously, I do not subscribe to that thesis.
:hijack!:
Anyway, carry on...
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

cinrit

Quote from: Limabeany on July 29, 2014, 02:34:29 PM
William was vacationing at the beach 1 week of the course, vacationing in Spain another half a week of the course and at royal engagements, an additional 5 days of the 10 week course. He did not complete 90% of the course. Further, it would be illogical for KP to announce he is taking the course and not announce the end of such course unless it was not in their best interest to do so as that would have given William a tangible achievement, even without results being made public... Furthermore, I find it impossible to believe he was only photographed four or five times at Cambridge, if he attended at least 7 weeks in a row Monday through Friday... 

He was photographed four or five times disembarking from the train that took him to Cambridge, as far as I know.  After snapping those pictures on succeeding days, which all looked basically the same, the media probably got tired of waiting on the platform for William to step out of the train, walk a few paces, and disappear.

I see the logic of announcing that he would be taking the course since people ... or at least, the media (who seem to always know where William is) ... would wonder what he was doing traveling back and forth to Cambridge if nothing was said.  Also, it let the public know that he was engaging in a course that would be beneficial in preparing him for his future role at Duke of Cornwall.  I don't see why an announcement that he had completed the course would be necessary, though.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

HistoryGirl

Quote from: Lady Adams on July 29, 2014, 03:43:01 PM
Quote from: Macrobug on July 29, 2014, 01:59:22 PM

I won't answer for HG, but as someone who also studied history, I will say that a robust debate is one of consideration and conversation. As soon as it delves into: "Point A!" "No, Point B!" "No, Point A!" Etc... It merely becomes counterproductive. :shrug: Some friends consider "winning" a debate to be synonymous with having the last word. Obviously, I do not subscribe to that thesis.
:hijack!:
Anyway, carry on...

Yes Lady Adams, that was my point. I understand what Macro was saying; I do enjoy debating and I do it often (i kind of have to lol), but once it starts to become a conversation of back and forth and "you don't make sense" thing, I extract myself from it because there's no point, the debate is dead for me.

TLLK

Quote from: cinrit on July 29, 2014, 04:04:38 PM
Quote from: Limabeany on July 29, 2014, 02:34:29 PM

He was photographed four or five times disembarking from the train that took him to Cambridge, as far as I know.  After snapping those pictures on succeeding days, which all looked basically the same, the media probably got tired of waiting on the platform for William to step out of the train, walk a few paces, and disappear.

I see the logic of announcing that he would be taking the course since people ... or at least, the media (who seem to always know where William is) ... would wonder what he was doing traveling back and forth to Cambridge if nothing was said.  Also, it let the public know that he was engaging in a course that would be beneficial in preparing him for his future role at Duke of Cornwall.  I don't see why an announcement that he had completed the course would be necessary, though.

Cindy
Also in this day in age I'd expect that this course would also include some online work. The part of the course that required him to go to farms, meet with land management experts and be present in the classroom was likely one part of the course. The rest could be done from his own home or elsewhere. :)

Also by the time the course was winding down, then the preparations for the NZ/Australia trip were in full swing and the focus had shifted to "What will George wear????" :P

Limabeany

Intensive and some classes taken with other PhD students, does not sound like something that he would do at home 7 weeks of the course, as far as him looking the same every day and that is why he wasn't photographed, no, the media would have camped there and reported it but more importantly, there would have been reports by students of having seen him and there were none... So he could not have attended every day... or even often... He knew about the trip before the course and took it anyway, but, also William and Kate do not have the lowest IQ and stamina of anyone in the royal family, why do they need more time and rest than anyone else before and after tours when their tours are the lightest of anyone else?

Limabeany

Quote from: cinrit on July 29, 2014, 04:04:38 PM

Cindy
An announcement that he finished the course would have been best for William and the Palace, they didn't do it because students and the media would have then had reason to point out he barely was there. There was nothing but good pr for everyone involved in announcing he had finished the course and had that achievement under his belt.

Canuck

If you choose to believe he never went to the course, you're free to do so.  I do think it's curious that people don't similarly insist that Harry never goes to work because there aren't pictures of him walking into the building every single day...

Limabeany

Harry works in an MoD office where could only be seen by people who work there as it is not an open space in public view whereas William was on campus allegedly taking a train and allegedly walking through campus to go to classes, hard to miss William IF he had gone every day... Further, unless someone claims Harry had nothing to do with the Invictus Games, he will have something to show for what he has been doing, William has absolutely NOTHING to show for the course he is supposed to have attended at least seven weeks, not even student reports of having seen him or attending classes with him or even a Palce word about him finishing the course...

Limabeany

Quote from: Canuck on July 30, 2014, 02:48:56 AM
If you choose to believe he never went to the course, you're free to do so.
Since there is no evidence he attended the course more than a few times and no announcement he finished it, I would have to conclude that anyone who says he did finish the course is taking a leap of faith believing that...

Canuck

Just like I have to conclude that anyone insisting he skipped 7 weeks of it without a single media source figuring that out probably wouldn't be convinced otherwise even if the dean of the university signed an affidavit swearing he personally accompanied Will to 20 hours of class and studying each week. 

That's the beauty of opinions, we can all hold different ones.

Macrobug

Quote from: Limabeany on July 30, 2014, 03:09:50 AM
If you choose to believe he never went to the course, you're free to do so.
Since there is no evidence he attended the course more than a few times and no announcement he finished it, I would have to conclude that anyone who says he did finish the course is taking a leap of faith believing that...

:scuba:   I took my leap of faith with a full tank and lots of pretty fish to see.  And it is a lovely place to be
GNU Terry Pratchett

Limabeany

Not just media source, no student, none, posted anywhere having seen him beyond the few times the media did, to say that no student in Cambridge and no one taking the train for 7 weeks has any social media or recognized William does seem a bit fantastical...

Making up alternate versions where they do all sorts of valuable stuff behind the scenes or sneak in secretly unseen to classes to 6 weeks is not logical to me, different strokes for different folks.  :truce:

Rebound

The class was a bespoke class, which would be non-traditional and probably not for PhD students, since it wasn't full term. There were probably just a very few students, including other managers of large property holdings, maybe bankers or brokers. I'm pretty sure the class would have accommodated all non-traditional students' schedules. The other students would be discreet because they need discretion in return.

My husband is a university professor and has taught a few of these kinds of classes during inter-sessions or as an added class. Some classes were for groups of foreign students, and their schedule was built around sightseeing trips to other cities, which might require a week of no attendance. No grades are given in these classes and they tend to be very informal in the US.

He has also taught classes in island countries that don't have a college which offers a Masters degree, and the schedule is built around the students' work and events.

wannable

If you choose to believe he never went to the course, you're free to do so.  I do think it's curious that people don't similarly insist that Harry never goes to work because there aren't pictures of him walking into the building every single day...

A rag mag said a couple of months ago that Harry hardly goes, and when he does he serves coffee, tea and cake.

Limabeany

Unless the rag report also said he has nothing to do with the Invictus Games, that speaks for him...