The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall Visit Rutland

Started by cinrit, July 29, 2014, 11:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteThe Prince of Wales has cooled down in balmy heat by tasting local ales at a farmers market in Rutland.

His Royal Highness, accompanied by The Duchess of Cornwall, seemed to enjoy his tipple of Rutland Bitter, brewed locally by The Grainstore Brewery, at one of the stalls in Oakham.

The Prince and Duchess also received gifts of honey, a leg of lamb and a loaf of local bread as they chatted with stall holders in the town square.

Her Royal Highness was presented with numerous bouquets of flowers from members of the crowd who had lined the streets to catch a glimpse of the Royal couple.

Hundreds of well-wishers lined the streets wave flags and cheer as The Prince and The Duchess walked through the town towards Oakham Castle.

More: The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall visit Rutland

Cindy

Double post auto-merged: July 29, 2014, 11:45:55 AM

QuoteIt's Camilla to the Rescue! Duchess Helps Child with Her Stray Hat (but Charles Looks More Interested in the Beer)  (VIDEO)

With six grandchildren of her own, among them the third in line to the throne, the Duchess of Cornwall is no stranger to the demands of small children.

And she had ample opportunity to show off her childcare skills when a young well-wisher's hat was blown off in front of her during a walkabout in Rutland.

Her face wreathed in smiles, the Duchess swiftly picked up the pink hat and tried to put it back on the little girl's head - much to her displeasure and her mother's delight.

After three attempts, the Duchess chuckled ruefully and handed the garment to the toddler's mother before rushing to catch up with Prince Charles who was saying hello to another well-wisher.

More: Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall helps child with her stray hat | Mail Online

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

sandy

George is not Camilla's grandson. She has five grandchildren and stepgrandchild George who is still Diana's grandson. How do they keep up this sickening propaganda/

In any event I think George will see a whole lot more of the Middleton grandparents than he will be seeing Camilla.

Sorry  not seeing Camilla as the "warm and fuzzy" type. I understand the DM has Camilla's son on the payroll working on columns for them. So of course there will also be promoting of his Mama and Sir.

Next thing you know William will be said to be Camilla's son. I can see that happening.

Canuck

I don't have a problem with referring to George as Camilla's grandson.  Unlike Will and Harry, George was born after Camilla was already married to his grandfather.  I know some people prefer to use step-grandparent in that situation, but I personally don't see the need.

sandy

It makes no difference. Diana is still George's grandmother. Camilla did not raise William and Harry. It does not matter that George was born after she died. that does not change that she is George's grandmother. So if APB dies before another grandchild is born, Charles steps up and is the "grandfather" so the first five think of APB as the grandfather because he was alive and Charles is now the grandfather to the one who didn't know him? I don't think so. I think it would have been tactful to refer to Camilla's five grandchildren and step grandson George. Also I think George will be very proud to be Diana's grandson as he grows up. I see this as an attempt to airbrush out Diana. Without Diana, George would not be with us today.

Canuck

Oh, I completely agree that Diana is George's grandmother.  I just don't really see the need to draw distinctions between blood relations vs. other family members -- it's the same reason I don't like seeing someone described as a person's "adopted child" rather than just their child. 

sandy

That is totally different. Camilla did not adopt anybody and is the second wife of the grandfather of George, the first wife being the grandmother.

I think there was some criticism some years back of the headlines when Camilla was about to be a grandmother (Charles and Camilla expect first grandchild)--this was stopped after a time.

Canuck

Yes, it's a different situation than an adopted child.  To me, the principle is similar:  family is who you choose, not just who you share blood with.  If W&K (and eventually George) call her George's grandmother, I see no issue with that.  If they prefer to use step-grandmother or nanny or some other nickname, that's also fine with me.  In any case, Diana will of course always be one of George's grandmothers.

sandy

I think Camilla will have a name other than grandmother that George will call her.  I truly doubt given how close they were to their mother, that William and Harry will refer to Camilla as the grandmother of George  and naturally will want George to learn about Diana  and the years they had with her as they were growing up.

I am noticing that more publications are not referring to her as the grandmother. 

Lady Adams

Whatever he calls her, I hope Camilla treats him like a grandson. George, like any child, deserves all the love he can get.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

sandy

She can dote on him without the press airbrushing Diana out and calling her the grandmother.  I think George will spend more time with Kate's parents  than with Camilla and will gets tons of love from them. Camilla also has her own grandchildren to spend time with.

Canuck

Quote from: Lady Adams on July 29, 2014, 07:25:53 PM
Whatever he calls her, I hope Camilla treats him like a grandson. George, like any child, deserves all the love he can get.

Totally agreed.   :flower:

Trudie

Quote from: Canuck on July 29, 2014, 03:31:17 PM
I don't have a problem with referring to George as Camilla's grandson.  Unlike Will and Harry, George was born after Camilla was already married to his grandfather.  I know some people prefer to use step-grandparent in that situation, but I personallye don't see the need.

Well here is a reality check regarding blood vs step. I have two children and soon to be 6 grandchildren. My ex husband remarried and his wife loves to insinuate that my children and grandchildren are hers. My oldest grandchildren do not like this and neither do i as she has her own grandchildren. As she did not raise my children the only difference is I am alive Diana is not but feelings are still the same William and Kate may resent the press and others who try airbrushing Diana from Georges life calling Camilla Grandmother when she clearly is not she is merely the wife of Williams father. Oh for the record I am Grandma and she is Grandma first name.