History Rewind: Lady Jane Grey becomes Queen of England

Started by PrincessOfPeace, July 10, 2014, 10:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteOn 10th July 1553, Lady Jane Grey became Queen of England after the death of the 14-year-old King Edward VI.

Born in 1537, Jane was the great-granddaughter of Henry VII, making her a Tudor through her mother's lineage. As Edward VI was gradually and without doubt dying, his regent the Duke of Northumberland was challenged the likelihood of losing his power, much his wealth and in all likelihood his life if Edward's sister Mary succeeded to the throne, as the Third Act of Succession and Henry VIII's will directed.
More: History Rewind: Lady Jane Grey becomes Queen of England

Limabeany

Such a tragic story, she was a remarkable young woman.  :happycry:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

sandy

Lady Jane might have been spared had her father not have tried to lead another rebellion.  She was used as a pawn by Northumberland.  She was a very bright young woman and could have had a happy life.
Northumberland wanted to have power and got the sickly Edward to push his sisters Mary and Elizabeth out of line of succession.

Mary had a horrible life she married Philip and could not have children though she had symptoms of pregnancy. Philip did not return the love she had for him.

TLLK

Thank you PoP for the History rewinds from Royal Central. Please keep them coming.

Curryong

Both Lady Jane and her useless husband, Guildford Dudley, were just pawns on a chessboard as far as the two sets of ruthlessly ambitious parents were concerned.

Lothwen

From what I know, Queen Mary didn't want to execute Jane, but then when Jane's father tried to lead the rebellion again she realized that as long as Jane remained alive she would remain a symbol to the people who wanted to overthrow Mary. 

Poor Jane.  She seemed like such a remarkable young lady.  I have a niece who is 16, and while she's a mature young lady with a good head on her shoulders, I can't imagine her going through what Jane went through. 
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

sandy

She and Guilford were practically children. Her mother Frances punished Jane because she did not want to marry Guilford.  When Jane said she did not want Guilford crowned King he actually cried and got upset (like a child). 

TLLK

Quote from: Lothwen on July 11, 2014, 04:57:54 AM
From what I know, Queen Mary didn't want to execute Jane, but then when Jane's father tried to lead the rebellion again she realized that as long as Jane remained alive she would remain a symbol to the people who wanted to overthrow Mary. 

Poor Jane.  She seemed like such a remarkable young lady.  I have a niece who is 16, and while she's a mature young lady with a good head on her shoulders, I can't imagine her going through what Jane went through. 
:no: It was a terrible situation, but sadly her presence would have been seen as encouragement for the rebels.