16 Times Kate Middleton Looked Exactly Like Princess Diana

Started by Limabeany, July 09, 2014, 11:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limabeany

After 32, the thought of her discovering the joys of hard work the closer she gets to middle age is as fictional and worthy of its own SyFy series as her hidden work history...
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cinrit

I remember watching the wedding and thinking that the dress was supposed to be crumpled.  I also remember thinking it was too frou-frou.  A Disney wedding dress, I thought.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Macrobug

I was 13.  I thought it was the most beautiful dress ever!  Now I look at it and say eh.  Too poofy, too 80's, too winkly.  But she was 19 and it was a teenager's idea of a dress.  And it suited her and she was lovely.

My first impress of Kate's was disappointment.  But the more I looked at it then and since, the more I really like it.  It is a classic dress that will still look good when examined 30 years from now.  Unlike Diana's.
GNU Terry Pratchett

SophieChloe

My children will only remember the pointy boobed one....Kate's attempt at looking like a Princess...she failed.   Diana was (imo) Princess through and through.  Both during and after the wedding.   

Kate leaving CH...keeping Charles, Camilla & her new hubby waiting, whilst she stopped and looked at the pictures that were being taken of her  :Lothwen:  Need I say more? Little Miss Show-Off.... :knit:

Kate is no Diana. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Canuck

I *adored* Kate's dress.  It wasn't as big as Diana's, but I thought it was a total showstopper:  the silhouette, the fit, the detail.  I agree that it had a timeless quality and will hold up well long into the future.

I do think Diana had Kate beat on the bouquet, though.  It was cute that Kate's included Sweet Williams, but I wish it had been two or three times the size.

SophieChloe

The dress was fine, the pointy boobs were awful and the net on her head looked like something I put on my babies prams...to keep the flies off.   

PrincessOfPeace

Even for the early 80's, Diana's dress looked like it was designed by a 13 year old for a 13 year old. Kate's is a classic helped by the fact Sarah Burton is infinitely more talented than the Emanuels ever were IMO. 

Canuck

It's interesting how people can have such different reactions to fashion.  I thought the veil might have been the best part of her entire look, it was so delicate and pretty (and it was nice you could actually see her face under it). 

I'm not a fashion expert, but I read some commentary about the bust on the dress (the "pointy boobs") being a 1950s detail, and a little more couture than if they had gone with a more rounded look.  I admit I was a bit uncertain about that detail at the time, but it's grown on me since then.

SophieChloe

The bottom half was fine, the top half...awful.

The make-up and hair looked far too harsh and out there.  Sorry  :hide: 

Limabeany

Quote from: SophieChloe on July 10, 2014, 07:55:20 PM
The dress was fine, the pointy boobs were awful and the net on her head looked like something I put on my babies prams...to keep the flies off.   
I agree! It was like she was wearing one of Madonna's Jean Paul Gautier bras under the a Grace Kelly imitation... There was nothing original about it, that was my issue with the dress, aside from the inappropriately pointy boobs... And the mosquito net veil was just underwhelming...

Quote from: SophieChloe on July 10, 2014, 08:10:10 PMThe make-up and hair looked far too harsh and out there.  Sorry  :hide:
Agreed on the harsh makeup and underwhelming hair...
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

TLLK

^^^IMO the Emmanuel designed dress for Diana shouldn't be on the list for the worst bridal dress but it's unlikely that the DM would know about the Netherland's  Princess Mabel's OTT bow fest even if it was a superb fit.  :teehee: With a big venue like St. Paul's a grand dress with the long train was going to be required.

HM's, Anne, Sarah, and Kate's dresses were better suited to the smaller Abbey IMO.

Canuck

I agree, TLLK.  It wasn't my taste, but I wouldn't put it on a list of worst dresses.

HsHCharlene

Kate's dress really fit her personality; demure, simple, classic and timeless(a woman even came out and said her dress from the 1920s? looked exactly like it in fashion). Even if she never married a prince she would have worn something very similar or the same. Diana's dress was really bad, I think because the Emmanuel's taste was so quirky. Diana was only 18/19 so she really had no sense of taste that would be her style as of yet. If she had married at the age Kate did then she would have certainly by that time figured out who she was style-wise and her dress would have reflected it.

Curryong

You have to remember the decade in which Diana was married though! I've looked at some photos of 1980's fashion and hairstyles, and thought 'Aaargh!' Apparently the design of Diana's dress was inspired by a late 18th painting of an ancestress at Althorp and the suggestion came from Diana herself. As I've said before, it may not have been an ideal gown but she was young and pretty, and somehow, in huge St Paul's Cathedral, it and the loooong veil worked!

TLLK

^^^Interesting news. At least that would give an idea of a wide skirt and tiny waist as that would have been fashionable during that era. Like I mentioned earlier, this venue would require a grand gown.

cate1949

I do think you have to account for the tastes of the time and the fact that it was a dress that had to "fit" that cathedral - I also think part of the problem with the dress was that she was squished into that carriage with her Dad along side her and the dress was therefore wrinkled.  I read once where when Diana was told her train was the  longest ever by a royal bride - her response was - "good".  So she clearly liked that dress at least then.    I also recall that when she met Charles at the altar - he told her she looked wonderful.  And so she did.

I really did not like Kate's dress so much - you could have bought that dress at any department store bridal shop and I expected something more interesting for a royal wedding.   But the old cliché is true - every bride looks lovely and she did look lovely.

Windsor

Just because they happen to wear the same colour doesn't make the two look exactly alike... If so, then by that reckoning all other women also look like the Princess if they were to wear the same colour outfit...

Oh look, these two look almost alike as well... Amazing! Whoa! Can't contain my amazement...  :teehee:

TLLK

Hat-check, coat-check, clutch bag-check, pastel/light color-check. Can't tell the difference between either of them. :lol:

PaulaB

Quote from: cate1949 on July 11, 2014, 07:39:19 AM
I do think you have to account for the tastes of the time and the fact that it was a dress that had to "fit" that cathedral - I also think part of the problem with the dress was that she was squished into that carriage with her Dad along side her and the dress was therefore wrinkled.  I read once where when Diana was told her train was the  longest ever by a royal bride - her response was - "good".  So she clearly liked that dress at least then.    I also recall that when she met Charles at the altar - he told her she looked wonderful.  And so she did.

I really did not like Kate's dress so much - you could have bought that dress at any department store bridal shop and I expected something more interesting for a royal wedding.   But the old cliché is true - every bride looks lovely and she did look lovely.

My thoughts when they married was it was horrid, Catherine's suited her Diana's looked like someone playing dress up.  It looked to big for her.

amabel

It lookd too big because she was losign weight so much. I liked it though. It had to be really big and glamourous and OTT tyo fill up St Pauls.  Kate's was very bland, nothing special, rather like K