State Visits and Dinners (2011 to present)

Started by cinrit, October 10, 2014, 12:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteThe Duchess of Cambridge is set to reach another landmark in her royal career by taking a formal part in a State visit for the first time later this month.

Kate, who is pregnant with her second child and about to enter her sixth week of suffering acute morning sickness - hyperemesis gravidarum - is due to join Prince William to welcome President Tony Tan Keng Yam of Singapore and his wife Mary Chee Bee Kiang to London on October 21 at the start of a four-day State visit to Britain.

The second in line to the throne and his wife will be expected to greet the visiting couple at the Royal Garden Hotel in Kensington and then travel with them by car to Horse Guards Parade to make their first appearance at a ceremonial welcome for a visiting head of state.

William took part in a State visit by South Korea's President Park Geun-hye to Britain last year when he joined her at a ground-breaking ceremony for a Korean War memorial in London.  He and Kate also met US President Barack Obama informally for a cup of tea at Buckingham Palace during his State visit to Britain with his wife Michelle in 2011.

"I think it would be fair to say that this is the first time the Duchess has played a formal part in a State Visit programme," a Kensington Palace spokesman said.

More: Kate Middleton to take her first formal role in America trip | Royal | News | Daily Express

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

TLLK

Thank you for sharing. I wasn't sure if the carriage rides were still standard part of a state visit, but I'm glad to see that this tradition is still used.

Canuck

Richard Palmer confirmed that Kate will not be at the state banquet part of the visit, therefore no tiara this time.  But I would think having her and Will begin to take part in official visits is. Sign of things to come, so maybe more tiaras are in our future.

Canuck

Yes, the announcement made clear that her attendance is contingent on her health.

sara8150

I don't think Kate will bring tiara on state trips what mentions on posts I'm hope Kate will use tiara somedays during state banquet with member of royal family..

TLLK

Quote from: Canuck on October 16, 2014, 11:45:44 AM
Richard Palmer confirmed that Kate will not be at the state banquet part of the visit, therefore no tiara this time.  But I would think having her and Will begin to take part in official visits is. Sign of things to come, so maybe more tiaras are in our future.
IMO it appears that the major tiara events are becoming fewer and fewer in the royal world.

Curryong

There are photos floating around, taken a few days ago apparently, showing William and Kate leaving the consulting rooms of Dr Alan Farthing in Harley St. She's probably there for her twelve week scan and check-up. They are quite grainy, so not Tanna I think!

cinrit

Press release:

QuoteOn Tuesday 21st October, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will greet The President of the Republic of Singapore and Mrs Tony Tan Keng Yam on behalf of The Queen at the Royal Garden Hotel, London as part of the State Visit. Their Royal Highnesses will then travel with The President and Mrs Tan to Horse Guards Parade, where The President will receive a Ceremonial Welcome.

Press release

Cindy

Liquorice

Quote from: TLLK on October 16, 2014, 11:31:03 PM
Quote from: Canuck on October 16, 2014, 11:45:44 AM
IMO it appears that the major tiara events are becoming fewer and fewer in the royal world.

True but they are still there, especially for State banquets. Do you remember the only time Kate put on a tiara for a private reception, for the Foreign Missions ?

Kate Middleton, the Diamond Duchess wears priceless tiara at Buckingham Palace ball | Daily Mail Online

TLLK

Yes I do and I think that the Lotus Flower tiara was a good choice for her.

wannable

Simon Perry (@SPerryPeoplemag) tweeted at 6:09am - 21 Oct 14:

Princess Kate is back! Smiling to well wishers, she has just arrived with William for meeting the President of Singapore in London. (Simon Perry on Twitter: "Princess Kate is back! Smiling to well wishers, she has just arrived with William for meeting the President of Singapore in)

Rebecca English (@RE_DailyMail) tweeted at 6:13am - 21 Oct 14:

The Duchess of Cambridge is wearing an Alexander McQueen coat with a Jane Taylor hat. (Rebecca English on Twitter: "The Duchess of Cambridge is wearing an Alexander McQueen coat with a Jane Taylor hat.")

Picture of William and Kate
Robert Jobson (@theroyaleditor) tweeted at 6:12am - 21 Oct 14:

DuchessOfCambridge stepped out in public spotlight today for 1st official engagement since pregnancy announced. pic.twitter.com/v1LJCwA1rr (Robert Jobson on Twitter: "DuchessOfCambridge stepped out in public spotlight today for 1st official engagement since pregnancy announced.)

Double post auto-merged: October 21, 2014, 11:07:13 AM

Instagram video

Instagram

Double post auto-merged: October 21, 2014, 11:13:22 AM

The Mirror with live feed, pics and videos

Live: Pregnant Kate Middleton makes first public appearance since announcing second royal baby - Mirror Online

Canuck

Kate looks wonderful (and I love that coat dress!).  I'm glad she's feeling better and was able to take part.

cinrit

QuoteDuchess of Cambridge Is All Smiles Despite Looking a Little Under the Weather in First Public Appearance Since Announcing Her Second Pregnancy

The Duchess of Cambridge today made her first public appearance since announcing she is pregnant with her second child.  She rode in a carriage procession to Buckingham Palace as part of the state visit by the president of Singapore.

Kate, who is around 13 weeks pregnant with her second child and has been suffering with severe morning sickness, was clearly well enough to play a greater part in the official welcome for Tony Tan Keng Yam than initially announced.

Kate wore a grey Alexander McQueen coat dress, one of her favourite designers and the one she wore to marry William, which she accessorised with a Jane Taylor hat - another firm favourite of the royal.

More: Duchess of Cambridge is all smiles despite looking a little under the weather in first public appearance since announcing her second pregnancy | Daily

Cindy

Windsor

BBC News - Pregnant Duchess of Cambridge makes public appearance

QuoteMembers of the Royal family have welcomed the President of Singapore as he begins a state visit. The Queen and Prince Philip were joined by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at a ceremony at Horse Guards Parade.

It is the duchess' first public appearance since her pregnancy was announced in September. Her extreme morning sickness has been "steadily improving", the palace said

cinrit

YR

She has the glow of pregnancy, a bit fuller face and waist a bit bigger.  Love the outfit   :vday4:

TLLK

Glad to see that she's feeling better and can start participating in her royal engagements again. I like the hairstyle.

HsHCharlene

She's thinner than I had expected and doesn't look so ill. Glad to see she's better.

Macrobug

In a couple of those photos she looks like she is holding on by a thread.  Major pukey face.  Poor kid.    Like the hair. Glad she was wearing a underskirt/slip.   Hurricanes and dresses don't mix all that well.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Canuck

I think you're right Macrobug -- Kate did the ceremonial portions, but according to Richard Palmer she did not attend the lunch (though Will did). 

HistoryGirl

wannable

It seems they are easing her, 10 minute drives, rather than two hour, 4 hour back and forth...1851 trust.

@TLLK I enjoy reading them, facial expressions  :hehe:  :wacko:  :unsure:

Canuck

I expect that they wanted to wait until they were confident Kate would be able to handle a public engagement before sending her out to one (they certainly didn't want her puking in the middle of it, or relapsing as a result of trying too soon), and as a result of that caution she was at the "I'm feeling pretty okay, I can handle two things today" stage when she made her first appearance rather than "hopefully I'm good enough to just get through this one thing, but I definitely couldn't handle anything else today."

In other words, she might well have been able to do an engagement last week, but they didn't know for sure and didn't want to push it.  Instead of sending her out for one as soon as they thought she could probably handle it, they gave her some extra time and now she's well enough to do two.