Duchess of Cambridge - Malta Visit

Started by cinrit, July 06, 2014, 01:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuck

I don't remember anything on the calendar except for Remembrance Day.  Usually smaller engagements (ones that aren't annual events planned way in advance, like that) aren't announced until a few weeks before they take place.  Since she's been sick for the past 2-3 weeks and they've had to cancel a lot of appearances, I think they're waiting to schedule anything new until they know she'll be feeling up to it.

As for Malta, I'm sure they understand.  Maltese officials are doubtless in communication with the BRF and likely have a lot more information than the general public does at this stage.

wannable

Rebecca English (@RE_DailyMail) tweeted at 7:16am - 16 Sep 14:

@rafegirl @DashRoyal @royalfocus1 there was a very genuine desire to leave it to the 'last minute' in the hope that she could. (Rebecca English on Twitter: "@rafegirl @DashRoyal @royalfocus1 there was a very genuine desire to leave it to the 'last minute' in the hope)

Rebecca English (@RE_DailyMail) tweeted at 5:05am - 17 Sep 14:

We'll find out soon if the Duchess of Cambridge is well enough to go to Malta on Sat. If she isn't, Prince William will step in I am told. (Rebecca English on Twitter: "We'll find out soon if the Duchess of Cambridge is well enough to go to Malta on Sat. If she isn't, Prince)

Emily Andrews (@byEmilyAndrews) tweeted at 5:55am - 17 Sep 14:

Great Kate Wait (#52): announcement on Kate going to Malta not til late this afternoon. I called it for Wills going-if she does, gutsy lady. (Emily Andrews on Twitter: "Great Kate Wait (#52): announcement on Kate going to Malta not til late this afternoon. I called it for Wills going-if she)

TLLK

Okay I want to make Princess Michael of Kent my wild card choice. :happy15:

Lady Adams

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Canuck

Apparently they are consulting with doctors tonight and the announcement will be made tomorrow morning.  Royal reporters are saying that Kate desperately wants to go, but if she can't it will definitely be Will.

Macrobug

I think it is better she not go and have someone else replace here.  That would be better than having to pull out while in Malta and no one there to continue

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter     ยท   56m   

Kensington Palace now says a final decision will be announced tomorrow on whether Kate will go to Malta. She and William will decide tonight

GNU Terry Pratchett

robynrose

This is all PR if she goes or does not go
If she goes how brave she waited to the last minute
If she does not how brave she waited to the last minute

They know already  such a joke and very rude to Malta  sick not sick she should have said earlier what she was doing . Will and her are a nightmare .  Such drama a doctor would have know by now if she was capable of during the trip . Lol

Double post auto-merged: September 17, 2014, 07:18:24 PM

When is that wedding in Italy? Think the stag party was last weekend

Canuck

I couldn't disagree more, robynrose.  I think Kate understands this was a big responsibility and really wants to go, but obviously if it is too risky for her and the baby then she'll need to cancel.  To make a decision her doctors would have needed to see how she was doing now, not a week or two ago -- was the bed rest helping, was she still too weak, has she shown sustained improvement or has she gotten worse again, etc. 

I'm not sure how this is rude to Malta.  Their independence celebrations will go ahead as planned whether it is Kate or Will who takes part. 

Lady Adams

I'm sure there is a PR function to this announcement, especially given the timing and vote tomorrow. Like any company, the Firm has corporate communications for this reason.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Canuck

Do you really think anyone believes that whether or not Kate announces she'll be going to Malta for a two-day tour is going to have an effect on the independence vote?  Because I definitely don't.   :orchid:

Rebecca English says they were always told the decision would be made at the last moment, and she seems very convinced that there really hasn't been a decision yet and that it will be sorted out with Kate's doctor tonight.  Ditto Emily Andrews.  Others like Richard Palmer and the Telegraph correspondent are saying they think the delay means she's feeling somewhat better and there's a chance she'll be able to do it.

Eri

Lady Adams

^Any journalist or PR rep worth their salt would say that all outside factors (especially elections) must be considered when making public announcements about public figures.

Are there people who think it will affect the vote? I cannot say that all of the British population wouldn't, so the logical answer is: yes. I'm sure some people believe that if Kate draws negative press for not going, some people may vote "yes."

Do *I* think it will affect the vote? No. But their communications team will factor in all current events, especially Scotland, when deciding when/how to make any announcements. It's their job.

Macrobug

I honestly don't think that an announcement about a royal visit to another country is going to be a PR disaster.  It is possible to have more than one news event happening at the same time.  People are able to handle it.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Lady Adams

^^ I agree, Macro. My point was, and is, that their communications team has been involved since the beginning.

Canuck

I don't disagree that their communications team is involved (as it is in all announcements about Royal engagements).  I just don't believe that the timing is being dictated by PR issues rather than the fact that Kate really wants to go if she can and they needed to wait as long as possible before making a decision so that they could gauge her health.

Macrobug

Certainly their media communication officer needs to be aware of what is happening.  I just don't think that the Scottish vote and Kate going/not going to Malta have any bearing on one another.  Her announcement isn't going to take away from the vote or effect it in anyway.  The media may be diverted for a millisecond but the world attention will be on the vote, not Kate.  And the announcement doesn't need to be done tomorrow in hopes that it is ignored like they do with some announcements that are about a hot potato/controversial topic.  We care here, royal watchers care and Malta organizers care.  The rest of the world doesn't give two hoots. 
GNU Terry Pratchett

Lady Adams

My background is in journalism, and so perhaps I see a different side than others.

@Macrobug & @Canuck, we can all agree to disagree, as with many things on the Forum, we'll never know who is correct.  :hug: :hug:

HistoryGirl

Quote from: robynrose on September 17, 2014, 07:16:09 PM
This is all PR if she goes or does not go
If she goes how brave she waited to the last minute
If she does not how brave she waited to the last minute

They know already  such a joke and very rude to Malta  sick not sick she should have said earlier what she was doing . Will and her are a nightmare .  Such drama a doctor would have know by now if she was capable of during the trip . Lol

Double post auto-merged: September 17, 2014, 07:18:24 PM

When is that wedding in Italy? Think the stag party was last weekend

I agree with this. It's almost amusing actually.

Limabeany

i second that motion  :clap: princess pushy it is...
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cate1949

now the tabs are claiming Kate feels a bit better - I am so  tired of this drama - remember when the RF seemed so well organized? - send a fruit basket - after all they are celebrating the 50th anniversary of getting rid of royals -

Double post auto-merged: September 18, 2014, 07:24:46 PM

so Will is going now ? 

sara8150

Kate makes her decision can't going Malta because she in eight weeks pregnant so she sends William to replace her on oversea trips but Kate still sick it's doctor's decision if Kate isn't pregnant they she can travel if she pregnant can't travel due doctor says..

Limabeany

:goodpost:
Quote from: Lady Adams on September 17, 2014, 08:05:55 PM
^Any journalist or PR rep worth their salt would say that all outside factors (especially elections) must be considered when making public announcements about public figures.

Are there people who think it will affect the vote? I cannot say that all of the British population wouldn't, so the logical answer is: yes. I'm sure some people believe that if Kate draws negative press for not going, some people may vote "yes."

Do *I* think it will affect the vote? No. But their communications team will factor in all current events, especially Scotland, when deciding when/how to make any announcements. It's their job.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

SophieChloe

[mod] :hi: Hi Folks. As Kate was unable to visit Malta - this thread is now locked. However, William did - and here is the thread : Duke of Cambridge - Visit to Malta[/mod]
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me