The Royal Family and the Press

Started by Lothwen, April 22, 2014, 03:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lothwen

General topic to talk about how the different royals deal with Press and their PR

You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

TLLK

Excellent topic for discussion Lothwen!!!

From the Dutch mediacode to the role of the paparazzi's behavior in Diana's tragic accident to the former newsreader turned future Queen of Spain this will always be an interesting relationship.

PrincessOfPeace

I posted this article in another thread earlier but there I've quoted a part of the article relevant to the discussion. For people who think the Queen doesn't call the shot I think this shows otherwise.

There is a strict pecking order in the BRF and William falls into middle-management. When it comes to the business of the Firm and Prince George is very much a part of that, the Queen as with everything calls the shots and has final say.

QuoteA few years ago, when I was writing a biography of the Queen and Prince Philip, I detected a definite rivalry between the royal press offices. The Queen's people at Buckingham Palace did not like to be upstaged by the Prince of Wales's operatives at Clarence House. I was not surprised, therefore, to note that down in New Zealand recently, bonnie Prince George was kept firmly under wraps and away from the media until, here at home, the coverage of the Irish president's visit was off the front pages
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge unveil portrait of the Queen - Telegraph

TLLK

IMHO the BRF is trying to keep the focus upon the most senior members of the family especially after the press obsession with Diana.

Double post auto-merged: April 22, 2014, 10:50:55 PM

IMHO the Spanish Infantas were more willing to have their children photographed at different events when they were younger. Unfortunately the paps began waiting for Elena's children too often outside their school and Cristina's children look uncomfortable around the cameras in recent years. I believe this has had an impact on how often the Asturias' children are photographed. Letizia's sister Telma and her late sister Erika were both harassed by the press.

Lothwen

I'm going to speak in just general terms here.

I don't mind if the Royals want their privacy, or if they are happy being photographed.  What bothers me is when one trip to the Supermarket is a "private" affair, while the next one is not.  (Or any other activity).  It makes zero sense.

Sorry, but, either complain all the time, or don't complain at all. 
Harryite 12-005

Lady Adams

^^ It all depends if the Royal looks "good" or "bad" while those photos are taken.  :shrug:
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Lothwen

^Exactly, and that's why I can't be sympathetic to them.
Harryite 12-005

PaulaB

They have work occasions and time that they want to just live.  Film actors know that when they are working being photographed is part of the job but they want to be left alone when with their family on their off time.  Royal duties=pictures trip to supermarket since when do we need to know that they eat and drink?  the pictures taken in France broke French law on privacy why are people trying to defend  the breaking of law?

cinrit

Well, one thing this tour has shown me is that no matter how much access to William and Kate and George is given, there will still be those who want to film/photograph them during private moments.  I never did believe access had anything to do with paparazzi photos ... they want that "special", that "unique" picture or video, because that's what will bring in the big money.  There've been loads of opportunities for pictures of the Cambridges during the past couple of weeks, and yet, we still have private photos of Kate and William walking hand-in-hand, photos of Kate playing with baby George, video of Kate kicking up her heels ... doing things that we don't (and probably never will) see them doing in public.  In my opinion, they could be out and about on official engagements every day, and there would still be those who go for that hard-to-get (or not so hard-to-get) photo of them when they're not expecting it.  And no matter who they are, they have a right to some privacy in their lives, just like everyone else.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Limabeany

One thing it has shown me is that they are selective in their desire for privacy, when Kate went to vacation with George and her family, since everyone in the media went gaga over George without a mention that Kate had thus far worked 3 times since December and a half day of said vacation would officially longer than the hours worked since December, they were not too vocal in their complain, good pr... Blah blah blahThe pictures of William and Kate strolling down the same garden were taken before and were shown on Australian TV before Kate went out walking with George...  :hmm: Since the pictures with George gave good pr, they weren't vocal in their complain...
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cinrit

I'm interested only in why paparazzi take secret pictures and video, since I've read so many times that it's because of lack of access to the Cambridges.  But as a matter of fact, the Cambridges have said nothing about these latest pictures and video, which were taken at the Governor's House.

Cindy

Lothwen

^The palace issued a statement, and I have a hard time believing they would have without the consent of either William or Kate.

Harryite 12-005

cinrit

I don't think the Palace issued a formal statement ... I posted their reaction in an article here in this thread, I think, maybe yesterday?  There are way too many articles for me to try to find it again.  But here is part of it from another article I found through Google:

QuoteKensington Palace asked that the media did not use any of the images filmed on private property. Denying that there had been a row, a palace spokesman said: "All we said was that it would be quite nice if they were given a bit of space on their day off."

More: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/privacy-row-over-royals-garden-walk/story-fnb64oi6-1226891891816#

There was a little more, saying that the Palace realizes that the pictures were taken legally, and so .... that's that.

Cindy

PrincessOfPeace

Its the tabloids at their worst, dumpster diving. You hit the nail right on the head Cindy, it isn't because of any 'lack of access'  its about the tabloids and press hiding in bushes or using long lens camera to capture intimate moments between W&K and sell them to the highest bidder.

Privacy is a universal right in the EU, even for royals. Opinion polls in Britain show the public believe the royal family should be entitled to some down time and privacy. William, Kate and George have been on the front pages of newspaper around the world. There is plenty of access.

TLLK

:goodpost: PoP.

Too often this is overlooked in an effort to get that money shot.

For the older generation of royals this must be a shocking change from the press coverage they would remember as children and young adults. Yes there would have always been interest in them and their lives, but there was more civility IMO in the manner that the press would behave.

It doesn't surprise me that royals such as Caroline of Monaco, the Dutch royals, BRF, Spanish royals etc...have taken to legal action to protect their privacy and primarily the privacy of their children.

Lady Adams

I thought this discussion on Twitter was interesting. A lot of people felt that it would only be polite to say good morning to the press pack (Rebecca noted that most of the other royals, including Charles, Cam & Harry do), but there was another:

QuoteRebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail
My only criticism? The Duke & Duchess still won't look at or acknowledge the media when they are at engagements.Maybe that will come in time

R**** E******* ‏@E********R*****

@RE_DailyMail @HRHDuchesskate why should they, they are friendly considerate to public etc. I believe Catherine doing admirable job. Ease up...I was not impressed that the press did not leave them to private time at government house. It was rude

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail

@E*****R***** You will find that was the Australian based media.British Press were asked not to use them and we complied

Will & Kate have to stop biting the hand that feeds them (to use a figure of speech). The British press do protect them (by complying with KP's requests) and really do give them great PR. They miss out on pageviews by not posting the photos of them walking in Australia on their day off-- and they do it out of respect for the BRF. You would think Will & Kate would want to build relationship--or at least acknowledge that these reporters have a job to do, and they amplify Will and Kate's messages across the world! Part of the reason this tour is being touted as a success is because of the PR that the BRF got, and NZ and Australia tourism did too.

Journalists have tough jobs-- I don't think many of them even got "one" rest day and one of them has a baby George's age and had to leave him for three weeks (Victoria Murphy of the Mirror). Plus, they weren't staying at resorts, nor flying first class. Will and Kate can fly high on their popularity right now, but that won't always be the case. It would behoove them to at least acknowledge their hard working future subjects-- be they journalists or not!

:soap:
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

cinrit

When she first began making public appearances, Kate did look at the press pack.  And she was criticized for doing so.  There was much talk about her looking for at smiling at the cameras.  So what is she to do? 

Maybe I have the wrong impression, but I thought the press go to these functions to get photographs of what the Royals (not just the Cambridges, all Royals) are doing.  They're not there to get personal attention.  Or are they? 

Cindy

Lady Adams

^^Where was she criticized for looking at the camera?

I don't think it's looking for personal attention, but a simple "hello" won't hurt anyone, will it? I call it professional courtesy.

Limabeany

She doesn't look at the cameras, the reporters have complained that she rarely does...
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cinrit

Quote from: Lady Adams on April 26, 2014, 01:39:44 AM
^^Where was she criticized for looking at the camera? 

In several threads here at this forum, for one.  Sorry, but I can't go back three years of posts to find them, but they do exist.  "Paying too much attention to the media", "looking for the cameras"......

I'm sorry, but I just can't agree that she should wave "hi" as professional courtesy.  She's not in their profession.  She's at the functions to do one thing, and the press is there to do another. 

Cindy

Limabeany

Royals are at the functions to do one thing, bring attention and publicity, they can only do it through the journalists, so a little courtesy should be extended to those who make it possible for them to do their royal celebrity work, which is all it is! No one other than the Monarch serves any other purpose... 

cinrit

Permit me to explain ... I don't mean that Kate (or any Royal) should ignore the media "just cuz".  I just don't think she should be obligated to recognize them.  If she wants to, fine.  If she doesn't want to, fine.  They're not her friends.  They're not there because they want to see Kate.  They're there to take pictures and get them back to their respective media outlets.  In all probability, they wouldn't even be there if it wasn't their job to be there.

Cindy

PrincessOfPeace

As well there is a thread on another site entitled 'camera hungry eyes' , so I agree with Cindy. Royals are always in a no win situation when it comes to people who want to find fault.

Limabeany

Quote from: cinrit on April 26, 2014, 01:12:17 PM
Permit me to explain ... I don't mean that Kate (or any Royal) should ignore the media "just cuz".  I just don't think she should be obligated to recognize them.  If she wants to, fine.  If she doesn't want to, fine.  They're not her friends.  They're not there because they want to see Kate.  They're there to take pictures and get them back to their respective media outlets.  In all probability, they wouldn't even be there if it wasn't their job to be there.

Cindy
. I still think it is rude for the royals not to acknowledge them by a courtesy posing or wave, the royals only have a job (promoting companies, causes, events, charities) because the reporters make it possible. Otherwise, they would be jobless and extinct. One could also say most royals are not visiting their charities or doing charity work because they want to but because they want to be seen as charitable and they want to be seen as working... The reporters' reasons for being there are irrelevant, that is like saying a secretary is only working because she needs a job so her boss shouldn't be nice to her and ignore her... The royals won't acknowledge them and they will continue to write sycophantically fawning articles because it is much more comfortable than real reporting...

Lady Adams

When I was a journalist, and a part of a press pack, I was always acknowledged by a quick hello or smile, even by those with a high profile.

It's a professional courtesy, simply put. I was surprised that Will & Kate refuse to do it.