King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia has died

Started by Lady Adams, January 22, 2015, 11:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Adams

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

snokitty

BBC News - Saudi King Abdullah dies aged 91
Saudi King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz has died in hospital, state TV says.

The announcement, made early on Friday, said his brother, Salman, had become king.

Before the announcement, Saudi television cut to Koranic verses, which often signifies the death of a senior royal.

King Abdullah, who was said to be aged about 90, had been in hospital for several weeks suffering from a lung infection.

The king came to the throne in 2005 but had suffered frequent bouts of ill health in recent years.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

Limabeany

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

snokitty

Charlie Proctor ‏@charlie1proctor  Mansfield, England
Saudi Crown Prince Salman, half-brother of Abdullah, has been named king of Saudi Arabia

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral

QuoteStatement from @SaudiEmbassyUK following the death of King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7_m8NyCcAExAmA.jpg

Royal Reporter ‏@RoyalReporterUK

QuoteQueen Elizabeth II is now the world's oldest reigning monarch, following King Abdullah's death today.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

TLLK

Glad that the succession has taken place immediately.

snokitty

Maybe not since it is a half brother instead of a son.

tiaras

God I hate the lack of respect for women in this country, this king has 4 perfectly healthy daughters and they aren't even allowed to leave the palace or perform royal duties. I understand in many western countries don't allow women to succeed (Monaco) however this is ridiculous  :no: Women there aren't even allowed leave their homes without the Veil, women driving is against the law,  lashing is used as a punishment for anyone who speaks out against these atrocities  :no: so sad.

An Interview with the Imprisoned Daughter of Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah
Sahar and her three sisters Jawaher, Maha, and Hala have been held under effective house arrest by their father, King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, for nearly 13 years. For years, their mother, Alanoud Al Fayez, has been advocating for their release from her home in London. In an unedited interview conducted via email, I asked Sahar, the eldest of the four sisters, about the reasons for her confinement and her thoughts on women's rights in the Kingdom.

Always be grateful for some people have been born into a lifetime of oppression.

cinrit

QuoteObituary: King Abdullah

Abdullah bin Abdulaziz was the fifth of his brothers to take the throne.

The absolute ruler of one of the most conservative societies on Earth, King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia had to tread a narrow line between maintaining relationships with the West and appeasing opinion at home.

Raised with traditional Islamic views he was, nevertheless, seen as something of a reformer and became a vocal advocate of peace in the Middle East.

Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud is believed to have been born in August 1924 in Riyadh, although there is some dispute about his actual birth date.

He was the 13th of at least 45 sons of King Abdul Aziz Al-Saud who created the modern state of Saudi Arabia in 1932, and gave his family name to the new country.

More: BBC News - Obituary: King Abdullah

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

TLLK

Quote from: snokitty on January 23, 2015, 05:07:58 AM
Maybe not since it is a half brother instead of a son.
The announcement has already been made and in the Saudi Family it's not unusual to have full or half siblings ascending to the throne. ME kingdoms will sometimes appoint a successor.

Double post auto-merged: January 23, 2015, 03:57:17 PM

Quote from: tiaras on January 23, 2015, 06:16:48 AM
God I hate the lack of respect for women in this country, this king has 4 perfectly healthy daughters and they aren't even allowed to leave the palace or perform royal duties. I understand in many western countries don't allow women to succeed (Monaco) however this is ridiculous  :no: Women there aren't even allowed leave their homes without the Veil, women driving is against the law,  lashing is used as a punishment for anyone who speaks out against these atrocities  :no: so sad.

An Interview with the Imprisoned Daughter of Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah
Sahar and her three sisters Jawaher, Maha, and Hala have been held under effective house arrest by their father, King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, for nearly 13 years. For years, their mother, Alanoud Al Fayez, has been advocating for their release from her home in London. In an unedited interview conducted via email, I asked Sahar, the eldest of the four sisters, about the reasons for her confinement and her thoughts on women's rights in the Kingdom.

Always be grateful for some people have been born into a lifetime of oppression.
That is true tiaras.

Double post auto-merged: January 23, 2015, 07:27:14 PM

European representation at the King's funeral include: Sweden's Carl Gustav, Norway's Haakon, UK's Charles, Belgium's Phillipe and Spain's Felipe.

snokitty

IMO there will be turmoil after the funeral.  World leaders will not be attending the funeral unless they are of the Islamic faith.  So there is no point in sending anyone just to go to a reception etc..

He was a brutal dictator and they should just bury him and hope the people do not rise up at this time.

tiaras

Such funerals are normally attended by the husband and the wife of the royal family but this time it's only men, Camilla isn't going neither is Queen Letizia  :Jen: Imho it's because of the law in Saudi, that women have to wear the veil, full black burqua and cover themselves the moment they land there or else they'll be fined in the airport or something. Good thing these royal ladies have been advised not to attend being predominantly Christian monarchies it wouldn't look good adhering to their rules  <_< if they themselves chose to boycott the funeral due to the poor abusive behaviour towards women there smart move I say  :thumbsup:

Jennifer

QuoteSaudi King Abdullah has passed away

King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz of Saudi Arabia has passed away aged 90 according to Saudi media.

In late December 2014, the King was admitted to the National Guard's King Abdulaziz Medical City hospital in the country's capital Riyadh to undergo a series of medical tests. A few days later, in the beginning of January, the court sent out a statement saying that the King had been diagnosed with pneumonia, after a lung infection had been found during the medical tests. Reportedly, the infection was serious enough to leave the King in need of temporary assistance from a breathing tube, though the statement read that his condition was considered stable for the time being.

A new Saudi King has already been named, as Crown Prince Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud has now ascended the throne. Salman, 79, is half-brother of the late King Abdullah, and is also reported to have a poor health. While Abdullah has been hospitalised, Salman has carried out his duties on his behalf, among this giving the annual speech to the Shura Council. Ahead of this speech, Salman gave assurance of the King's health during a cabinet meeting.

Read more:
Saudi King Abdullah has passed away | Royalista

QuoteRoyals travel to Saudi Arabia to attend condolence ceremony

Following the death of Saudi King Abdullah on Friday, several royals have travelled to Saudi Arabia on short notice.

Jordan's King Abdullah was in Davos for the 45th World Economic Forum, but according to Jordan Times, he decided to cut the Swiss visit short to go to Saudi Arabia on Friday after learning about Saudi King Abdullah's passing. On Saturday, the Jordanian King is expected to take part in a condolence ceremony, where he will be joined by other royals as well.

On Friday, the Royal Danish Court issued a statement saying that Crown Prince Frederik would, representing the Danish royal family, travel to Saudi Arabia to attend the ceremony. In the United Kingdom, a similar statement was released saying that Prince Charles would go on behalf of the Queen. Charles has been a frequent visitor to Saudi Arabia and counted the late King Abdullah as his personal friend, according to the Telegraph. Frederik, Charles and other royals wouldn't be able to attend the actual funeral held on Friday, as only male Muslims are allowed to participate.

Read more:
Royals travel to Saudi Arabia to attend condolence ceremony | Royalista
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

TLLK

Quote from: tiaras on January 24, 2015, 05:04:52 AM
Such funerals are normally attended by the husband and the wife of the royal family but this time it's only men, Camilla isn't going neither is Queen Letizia  :Jen: Imho it's because of the law in Saudi, that women have to wear the veil, full black burqua and cover themselves the moment they land there or else they'll be fined in the airport or something. Good thing these royal ladies have been advised not to attend being predominantly Christian monarchies it wouldn't look good adhering to their rules  <_< if they themselves chose to boycott the funeral due to the poor abusive behaviour towards women there smart move I say  :thumbsup:
When King Hussein died in 1999 it was a similar attendance in Amman.  Men only at the funeral.The women/girls of the JRF stayed back at the palace.

Double post auto-merged: January 25, 2015, 02:56:58 AM

King W-A has arrived in Riyadh as well.

snokitty

Frantic Intrigue of King Abdullah's Last Hours | David Hearst
King Abdullah's death was triggered by massive internal bleeding and not by pneumonia, informed Saudi sources have told me. The collapse in his health, which happened on December 31 last year, prevented the King from carrying out a plan to remove his half brother Salman from the position of crown prince and replace him with Prince Muqrin bin Abdel Aziz. Abdullah's own son Prince Meteb would have become next in line to the throne, the sources said.

On December 31, the palace issued a statement which said the king had been admitted to hospital, but which disguised the severity of his condition. According to the state SPA news agency the king " entered today, Wednesday ... the King Abdulaziz Medical City of the National Guard in Riyadh to undergo some medical tests".

The King was rushed to hospital from the Rawdat Khraim resort near Riyadh, where he had been preparing to convene a meeting between the Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, and the Egyptian president Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi. The meeting, which would have sealed the reconciliation between the two sparring states, never took place.

Had it done so, the late King would then have announced a series of decisions which he had taken and which Meteb and the head of his royal court Khalid Al-Tuwaijri had been urging him to take for some time. The decisions would have secured the transfer of power to his own son, when the crown was handed over to the grandchildren of the founding King.

Abdullah's sudden collapse triggered panic in the Tuwaijri camp which foresaw the consequences to them, and their partners who staged the military coup in Egypt of Salman coming to power. Abdullah was being ventilated and under general anesthesia, so he was unconscious.

Meteb and Tuwaijri fought to keep his condition under wraps. They tried to prevent Salman from entering the king's room. They searched for ways to keep the original plan in play, so that the king's decision could be announced under his name.