Camilla at the diplomatic reception

Started by TLLK, December 09, 2016, 03:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzLl1osWEAAQso5.jpg

She can certainly wear the largest of the tiaras very well IMHO. The white gown is a repeat.

sandy

I don't see how she wears them "well" but I think she enjoys wearing and showing off the bling the most. Why does she wear "large tiaras?" Diana got criticized for changing her hairdo at an opening of Parliament but Camilla can wear larger tiaras than the Queen. Go figure. Between Charles showing off medals and her showing off the bling, they really deserve each other.

TLLK

IMO her hairstyle works well with the larger frames for the Delhi Dubar and the Bucheron Honeycomb tiaras. :) QEII offered them to her daughter-in-law to wear when the tiaras had returned to the royal collection upon the death of QEQM. Since QEII has loaned them to Camilla, I suspect that they're not her personal favorites or perhaps she finds them to be uncomfortable. Likewise she loaned Diana the Lover's Knot which has being worn by Kate on two occasions and that particular piece was rarely worn by QEII or QEQM possibly because it was a headache inducer and noisy.   QEII certainly has her favorites tiaras  that she routinely wears ie: the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland.

As for the medals and orders worn by the various members of the BRF, it's typical of the protocol  that they would be worn to a white tie gala like tonight's diplomatic reception.  :)

Here is a video from  the 1990 at a reception for the Italian President. You can see the BRF in their various orders in the video.

Princess Diana & Queen Elizabeth II arrive at Reception for Italian President (October 23, 1990) - YouTube

Duch_Luver_4ever

True @TLLK  Diana did find the lovers knot both headache inducing and the noise distracting, although I think only Kate and HM should wear it going forward. IMO though the best Tiara I've seen on Diana was her family's tiara, good flowing lines and looked great on her.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

@Duch_Luver_4ever-I agree that the Spencer scroll tiara was the prettier of the two that Diana wore. The other Spencer tiara is hideous IMHO  and I doubt Diana, Sarah, Jane or Charles' wives have wanted to wear it.

Agree that Camilla should not wear the tiara that was so closely associated with Diana. It was better choice to loan it to Kate. Also due to its very feminine and romantic design I believe it flatters a younger woman IMHO.

Had the Greville and Delhi Dubar not been in the possession of QEQM, I think that Diana might have been loaned one of those as well. Her layered hairstyle would have worked with either one and with her height these larger framed tiaras would have been magnificent on her.

sandy

Quote from: TLLK on December 09, 2016, 03:58:14 AM
IMO her hairstyle works well with the larger frames for the Delhi Dubar and the Bucheron Honeycomb tiaras. :) QEII offered them to her daughter-in-law to wear when the tiaras had returned to the royal collection upon the death of QEQM. Since QEII has loaned them to Camilla, I suspect that they're not her personal favorites or perhaps she finds them to be uncomfortable. Likewise she loaned Diana the Lover's Knot which has being worn by Kate on two occasions and that particular piece was rarely worn by QEII or QEQM possibly because it was a headache inducer and noisy.   QEII certainly has her favorites tiaras  that she routinely wears ie: the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland.

As for the medals and orders worn by the various members of the BRF, it's typical of the protocol  that they would be worn to a white tie gala like tonight's diplomatic reception.  :)

Here is a video from  the 1990 at a reception for the Italian President. You can see the BRF in their various orders in the video.

Princess Diana & Queen Elizabeth II arrive at Reception for Italian President (October 23, 1990) - YouTube

I think Camilla could manage a smaller tiara. Especially when with the Queen at appearances.

Duch_Luver_4ever

:goodpost: @TLLK Ill check out those two you mentioned that the QEQM had and try to imagine them on her. As for the other one, the Honeysuckle Tiara the Spencers have, I agree, I'd too angular and straight. IDK if it was the style it was made, only saw one pic of Diana in it. Can't imagine the girls would choose it when the other tiara was available.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Duch_Luver_4ever

:goodpost: @TLLK  I looked at both and the site went down while i wrote this so ill be quick. She could have pulled both off, but my "concern" is both have a big cross sectional area and would have  hid her iconic part and sweep of her hairstyle too much. I think her best hairstyle for them was the 84 Opening of Parliament style as the upswept ends would have added visual contrast to the tiaras and preserved the lines of her hairstyle better than the other ones.

I think the Delhi Dunbar tiara would have been the better of the two, more softer lines. This isnt from a jewellery perspective, but what looks best on her face and hair. (Im not a jewels expert, but ive done my 10,000 hrs easily looking at Diana face and hair^^)

Of course, I like her best in Sloane clothes lounging on the couch with takeaway, so what do I know? :partaay:

TLLK

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on December 10, 2016, 01:16:05 AM
:goodpost: @TLLK Ill check out those two you mentioned that the QEQM had and try to imagine them on her. As for the other one, the Honeysuckle Tiara the Spencers have, I agree, I'd too angular and straight. IDK if it was the style it was made, only saw one pic of Diana in it. Can't imagine the girls would choose it when the other tiara was available.

IMO the Honeysuckle was made for the Victoria/Edwardian era with hair piled high and the tiara as a sparkling accessory. Today's hairstyles just wouldn't work for it due to its angular frame. The better known Spencer tiara is a more flattering option for many ladies.

Honestly if QEQM hadn't been using the Greville and the Delhi Dubar tiaras, it's possible that Diana would have been loaned one or both of them.

I wonder if the royal ladies are thankful that they're not wearing Sophie's wedding tiara. http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2011/10/tiara-thursday-sophies-wedding-tiara.html

Duch_Luver_4ever

Yeah that one of Sophies kinda reminds me of Kates wedding tiara in that its very low key, very "ok, so technically you're a Royal, but we're not going to break out the heavy artillery for you yet."

TLLK

Quote from: sandy on December 09, 2016, 04:26:50 PM
Quote from: TLLK on December 09, 2016, 03:58:14 AM

I think Camilla could manage a smaller tiara. Especially when with the Queen at appearances.
This is the Modern Sapphire tiara and the sapphire suite that HM is wearing at the Diplomatic Reception.http://queensjewelvault.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-george-vi-and-modern-sapphire-set.html  http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2012/11/tiara-thursday-modern-sapphire-tiara.html TBH I don't think that either Camilla or Kate would be wearing anything that will outshine QEII tonight or at any other gala event. After all QEII is the one who decides which tiaras other pieces that she'd like to loan to her family members and it would appear that she believes that each lady should make use of the loaned pieces when they represent the UK. If she didn't I doubt that she would have offered the pieces to them.  :)