Kate in the Lover's Knot tiara for the diplomatic reception

Started by TLLK, December 09, 2016, 03:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulaB

The women all look great, the outfit the men wear is a bit silly but still good.

TLLK

I have the feeling that Phillip, Charles and William would have rather had the photo showing everyone from the waist up rather than a full length one. :wink: Until I saw last year's video of the diplomatic reception, I had no idea that knee breeches were still being worn.

carol18

Stunning Kate Middleton lights up Buckingham Palace wearing Princess Diana's tiara with vibrant red dress
Kate Middleton dazzles in Diana's pearl and diamond tiara at the 2016 Diplomatic Reception - My Face Hunter

Beautiful tiara...but Princess Diana wore it best. She had that sparkle in her eyes to go along with it. William looks like he is getting tired of these events and posing for the cameras.

SophieChloe

They look like a bunch of plonkers from a bygone age. 

Meanwhile, down the road people are sleeping in shop doorways. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

TLLK

Quote from: carol18 on December 09, 2016, 07:24:31 PM
Stunning Kate Middleton lights up Buckingham Palace wearing Princess Diana's tiara with vibrant red dress
Kate Middleton dazzles in Diana's pearl and diamond tiara at the 2016 Diplomatic Reception - My Face Hunter

Beautiful tiara...but Princess Diana wore it best. She had that sparkle in her eyes to go along with it. William looks like he is getting tired of these events and posing for the cameras.

It's a lovely piece that IMO was worn beautifully by Diana and now her daughter-in-law looks just as lovely when wearing it.

PaulaB

Quote from: SophieChloe on December 09, 2016, 09:48:58 PM
They look like a bunch of plonkers from a bygone age. 

Meanwhile, down the road people are sleeping in shop doorways.

You get homeless people in countries without monarchies that is a non argument.  Or are we all supposed to put everything on hold until there are no homeless, no holidays or days out or meals etc for anyone until no homeless?

SophieChloe

^ It may be a non argument for you, @PaulaB - but for me, I find such opulence repulsive.  There you have his nibs, William - Patron of Centrepoint living amongst such vulgarity.  He is a hypocrite.  They all are. 

As for holidays, meals, etc - for me that is a non argument - unlike members of the RF I pay for all of those things myself and give regularly to charity.  My conscience is more than clear on that front. 

I'm glad he had to stand there wearing those ridiculous tights and patent shoes. 

TLLK

Nearly every government  on the planet hosts events like this one at various times during the year in a state owned mansion or former palace. And nearly every nation on the planet does have its issues regarding homelessness, poverty and other complex social concerns.  In the UK these gatherings are likely to take place at Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle. The sites have the space to accommodate the invited guests, the kitchens to handle the food prep and a trained staff to meet the needs of the guests. 

I doubt that we'll see a change from white tie during QEII's reign but it is possible that the government might change the dresscode to black tie or even cocktail wear when her reign comes to an end. 

Double post auto-merged: December 10, 2016, 08:00:34 PM

And as we post the Swedish Government is hosting the Nobel Prize Banquet which is one of the year's most glittering events.

SophieChloe

^ I know all of the above @TLLK - doesn't make it right - does it? 

Time to get rid of these shysters and put them out to grass. 

TLLK

I understand what you are saying and likewise I'm uncomfortable knowing that a couple of miles away from the White House homeless veterans, families and teens are on the streets. And this is in a republic with an elected head of state. They're homeless due to a wide range of reasons: mental illness, domestic abuse, throwaways, runaways etc.. It's very complex. However I do know that when the POTUS and FLOTUS are hosting a white tie event for foreign dignitaries, that it is being done on behalf of my nation to foster good working relationships with other countries. Nations that might provide trade opportunities, employment etc.. for the U.S. Selling off the White House and its historic treasures will relieve things in the short term for a small percentage of people who may or may not desire to be homeless. (Yes there is a subgroup that doesn't wish to be housed.)

Now as I mentioned in my previous post, the government of the UK and its future head of state might have different ideas on how to host the annual Diplomatic Reception in the future. Perhaps there will be a more low key reception with finger foods or just a cocktails. These events will still continue to occur whether there is a constitutional monarch or an elected president.  Even an elected head of state might decide that it makes more sense to continue using the palaces, their tables, china, glassware etc...for a white tie event for hosting foreign dignitaries who are posted to London.  Changing out the Windsors for an elected head of state won't likely end the events being held in grand buildings nor will it likely end the issue of homelessness in the UK. I recently read about a young man from Italy who stated that he'd rather be homeless in London than live at home in Italy. The reason why...he has fewer prospects for employment in his home country, but in the UK there are more opportunities.

Double post auto-merged: December 11, 2016, 02:32:22 AM

All in all a good discussion that perhaps  should be moved to a more  appropriate forum such as the monarchy/republic one. :)

FanDianaFancy

I agree  with  all of  you  n  both  points.  There has always been  homeless, etc.  during all eras  of the monarchy.
It used to be worst  with  classes  there. You had the monarchy/aristos/nobility/landed gentry and then the  working people  , artisians  you would say.  The  history  of the British servants  to the top tier there  was really interesting. Lastly, the poor  orphans, child laborers,  prostitutes, etc.

Yes, The White House has  State Dinners  with  homeless Vets  nearby, and more.

I think  we  are saying some of these things  are  so  removed from today, too excessive, and even too often as in White House State Dinners. It  varies  from one administration to another.
Some things like the  breeches and patent leather shoes are so weird looking, costume like, yet it is the tradition.  Do you erase thee things that  made  BRF the BRF?
What?