Kate, William and Harry will attend the Commonwealth Games July 28 and 29

Started by PrincessOfPeace, June 13, 2014, 02:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsillyme

Quote from: SophieChloe on June 13, 2014, 08:00:00 PM

That's the best you have. 

Wow. Talk about antagonizing.  Personal attacks don't change the fact that Will, Kate and Harry do work that has nothing to do with "fun."

Lothwen

[mod] Please keep personal attacks out of the thread, and talk about William and Kate's work ethics are off-topic in this thread. Any post after this that ignores this warning will be edited or removed. That goes for all members[/mod]

I'm sure the athletes are happy to have their support.
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

SophieChloe

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

ohsillyme

I think supporting the Commonwealth games is both patriotic and helps encourage an active lifestyle. Good for them!

Macrobug

I find myself always saying the same thing.   At least I am consistent  :hehe:

Commonweath Games bring in tourism, shines light on the locale, promotes healthy lifestyles (or dreams of healthy lifestyles by those sitting at home on the sofa watching them) and it is a big international event.

The games are also a very important unifying activity for the Queen.  Here is something that really demonstates in a fun way, the breadth of her realm.  Only "her" countries are invited.  It shows the whole world the extent of her influence.  And in a way, that these countries  are part of the "in" crowd".  The Queen's own little gang.  :P

As Scotland goes into the independence vote in September, these games may be used to demonstrate the benefits of being part of the Commonwealth.  I realize that Scotland would likely remain part of the Commonwealth as an independent country, but events like this do produce a feeling of well being and community.  And as part of UK, Scotland is part of the big cheese. 

It may just seem like W&K&H are just goofing off as spectators, but IMO there is a much more serious reason for their appearance.  Their appearance always has a huge media following.  And the media will bring in the Independence vote angle.  They have an opportunity to demonstrate to Scotland how important Scotland is to UK. 

Also, Williams appearance is important to showing to the Commonwealth the future heir to the throne.  They need to do a darn good job in Glasgow in order to continue their popularity.
GNU Terry Pratchett

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteThe Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, née Kate Middleton, will attend two days of the 2014 Commonwealth Games accompanied by Prince William's brother Prince Harry.

The British royals will visit the event,  which is being held in Glasgow this year, on the 28 and 29 July during which there will be swimming, athletics, gymnastics, and shooting for them to choose from.

Buckingham Palace have also confirmed that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II  will be opening the games on 23 July at Celtic Park, and will be accompanied by her husband, the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip.

Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, will also attend the opening ceremony.
More: Kate Middleton and Prince William to attend Commonwealth Games - hellomagazine.com

SophieChloe

Meanwhile people are sleeping in doorways.   

Him and his spoilt Brother and damn lazy wife are living it up are our expense. 

Happy with that?   
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

ohsillyme

When Wills and Harry attend sporting events in an official capacity,  they usually wear suits. I wonder what Kate will wear? No matter what she wears, I'm sure her outfit will look great, per usual. :Jen:

TLLK

^^^They were in suits for the Opening Ceremonies and then switched to Team GB polo shirts and casual pants for the other events. Likewise the BRF ladies swapped their dresses for the  patriotic casual wear. (Noticed most royals at the London Games wearing their teams' colors as well.)

ohsillyme

Oh, right! I forgot about the switch into more athletic wear.

I had no idea the Commonwealth Games were like the Queen's Olympics lol It's amazing!

Are any posters from the UK going?

PrincessOfPeace

Just a reminder, next week The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow on July 28 and 29.

The Queen opens the games today July 23 at 8 pm.

Glasgow 2014

Limabeany

Quote from: Macrobug on June 13, 2014, 09:41:11 PM
Also, Williams appearance is important to showing to the Commonwealth the future heir to the throne. 
William seems to be considered important as an heir for fluff, luxuries and appearances but not when it comes to expecting him to work like one.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Limabeany

Quote from: Macrobug on June 13, 2014, 09:41:11 PM
As Scotland goes into the independence vote in September, these games may be used to demonstrate the benefits of being part of the Commonwealth.  I realize that Scotland would likely remain part of the Commonwealth as an independent country, but events like this do produce a feeling of well being and community.  And as part of UK, Scotland is part of the big cheese. 
I so agree with you, Macrobug. I think the Queen's presence will go a long way in being helpful.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

TLLK

sara8150

Let the fun and games begin! Fans gather in Glasgow for the spectacular opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games as ONE BILLION people tune in (and the BBC's even got a tartan sofa)
Let the fun and games begin! Fans gather in Glasgow for the spectacular opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games as ONE BILLION people tune in (and

TLLK

Ah my love-hate relationship with the DM continues. They really have wonderful photos.

What a spectacular show to open the Commonwealth Games!!! Good luck to all of the competitors.

sara8150

Glasgow 2014: Commonwealth Games begin at Celtic Park
BBC News - Glasgow 2014: Commonwealth Games begin at Celtic Park

Double post auto-merged: July 24, 2014, 03:23:32 AM

'Shared ideals and ambitions': The Queen highlights the 'bonds that unite' the Commonwealth - after fumble to open 'Rubik's Cube' baton to find message
The Queen highlights 'bonds that unite' the Commonwealth | Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: July 24, 2014, 03:26:34 AM

Queen Elizabeth opens 2014 Commonwealth Games
British royals attend Commonwealth Games opening ceremony - hellomagazine.com

cinrit

From Twitter:

Emily Andrews ‏@byEmilyAndrews  1h
Kate, William & Harry at C'wealth Games today. KP have asked us not to tweet what they're seeing for security reasons, but it'll be this pm.

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral  58m
We expect to see William and Kate at the Commonwealth Games later this afternoon. More info as we have it! via  @byEmilyAndrews

Cindy

Double post auto-merged: July 28, 2014, 02:11:58 PM

From Twitter:

William and Kate arrive at the Commonwealth Games in Scotland Pictures Of The Day: Photos From Monday 28th July 2014 
Twitter / HuffPostUKPics: William and Kate arrive at ...

Cindy

Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Canuck

I'll admit I was hoping to see a different outfit on Kate just for fun, since this was her viewing uniform during the Olympics, but you can't argue with how appropriate it is.  And her hair looks like it's back to its best -- I can't get over how gorgeous it is like that.  If I was her, I wouldn't want to cut it, either!

Regal

She always looks so much more comfortable and composed when she's not wearing dresses

Eri

What? I was expecting something else ... but I love the hair  :vday2: ...

Canuck

I think she does look more relaxed, but I would guess that's more about the type of event (since she doesn't wear pants to more formal or serious outings).  She looked very relaxed and comfortable at the Harry Potter exhibit even though in a dress, and ditto the times she's visited schools and played sports in dresses.

TLLK

Limabeany

She needs more casual clothing for these events. She always wears the same uniform. The inappropriate skin-tight jeggins and wedges, sometimes made more 'business casual' by the jacket...

Limabeany

Quote from: ohsillyme on June 13, 2014, 07:52:58 PM
Being nasty about them does not change the fact that they have been doing meaningful work.

[mod] Name calling posters or posts is not in keeping with the rules of this forum. We are here to discuss the subjects of the threads only. In case you have any doubt, if you would not like to be referred to in such a manner, it is inappropriate and not in keeping with the rules of this forum. Not liking what is said is not and has never been a valid excuse for dispensing with civility in the forum. [/mod]