Duchess of Cambridge set to resume Royal duties

Started by Limabeany, September 28, 2014, 12:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuck

Agreed, TLLK.  I think Kate has shown real passion for children's hospices -- she interacts very naturally with the children, and has made those groups a real focus of her efforts so far -- as well as sports and art.  I wouldn't expect her to be giving speeches about political issues, but that doesn't mean she doesn't care about the causes she supports.

Limabeany

A real passion? She has done the bare minimum for them, show up once in a blue moon and pose for pictures on her infrequent tours... The only thing Kate has a passion for is William, the Middletons, doing her hair and shopping.  :shrug:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Limabeany

Quote from: TLLK on September 29, 2014, 05:43:05 PM
That is correct Canuck. She did begin to pick up her engagements after the winter.
She worked about 7 days, if I remember correctly, from the beginning of December to the tour almost, what do you call picking up?
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

SophieChloe

7 days translates to what?  7 hours - and that's being generous.  The TP are not getting value for money. 

Double post auto-merged: September 29, 2014, 07:06:50 PM

Quote from: Limabeany on September 29, 2014, 06:41:28 PM
A real passion? She has done the bare minimum for them, show up once in a blue moon and pose for pictures on her infrequent tours... The only thing Kate has a passion for is William, the Middletons, doing her hair and shopping.  :shrug:
Well said!  And to think many doubted her....they have been proved correct, IMO. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Canuck

You're welcome to your opinion, of course.  The people Kate actually interacts with at children's hospices, both staff and parents using their services, have repeatedly said how genuine she is, how much she cares, and how her visits raise spirits of the children and bring important attention to the cause. 

TLLK

I agree Canuck. Those who have had the opportunity to interact with her on a one-to-one basis would have knowledge of how "passionate" she is about the charity much more than I would. I'm not likely to ever come in contact with the lady so hearing the thoughts from those who have actually engaged in a conversation with her is something that I find valuable when forming an opinion.

SophieChloe

Quote from: Canuck on September 29, 2014, 07:14:13 PM
You're welcome to your opinion, of course.  The people Kate actually interacts with at children's hospices, both staff and parents using their services, have repeatedly said how genuine she is, how much she cares, and how her visits raise spirits of the children and bring important attention to the cause. 
What else would they say?  Really?

Just imagine if she visited more than once in a blue moon.  If she creates such happiness and positive vibes...why not?  She is in such a position to do good.  For some reason, she chooses not to. 

Even I have commented positively when seeing her with children.  Sadly, I can only think those darling children have been used for PR purposes.  That makes me very, very sad and angry. 

Canuck

I don't think the fact that she's not doing as many engagements as some would like necessarily means that any engagements she DOES do are strictly for PR purposes.  She would have to be not only a very callous individual, but also an excellent actress, to repeatedly use dying children solely for PR while at the same time convincing their parents and care workers that she really does care.

As for what else they could say:  well, they could say nothing, or be less effusive with their praise, if they didn't really believe her to be engaged and genuine when she visits.  The fact that they uniformly say such glowing things is a pretty good indication they believe them.

SophieChloe

I believe the visits are not done for the Children but for Kate herself.  She may not be "callous" by IMO she is very shallow. 

As for the parents - who know their motives.  I'm willing to wager deep-down they are as pissed with her as I am. 

Kate is out for herself, not for the sick or underprivileged and she (IMO) proves that as each year passes. 

TLLK

Good points Canuck because the "PR" reason could be applied to any public figure. Part of a royal's expected role is to meet with members of the public so anyone posing with them could be considered to be there for "PR" purposes. By browsing through the other boards here at RIF  this week I've seen evidence of many royals meeting with world leaders, people with disabilities and members of the performing and fine arts professions who must be doing this for positive "PR" as well.                                                                                                                                                                                       Meeting with the parents of dying children would be a difficult task and the couple was reported to have been emotional during their visit to the children's hospice in Australia. So I don't envy them meeting and listening to these families share their stories. It would be much easier to attend a different event and still gain some positive press.

SophieChloe

It all PR.  But in W&K's case it's not consistent - even they can't be arsed to continue to fake it. 

Canuck

Quote from: SophieChloe on September 29, 2014, 08:11:09 PM
I'm willing to wager deep-down they are as pissed with her as I am.   

If that's how you feel -- with no evidence to support it, and plenty of evidence to the contrary -- then I think we'll just have to agree to disagree, and I'll bow out of this particular conversation.

TLLK

On that we'll have to agree to disagree SC :truce:

SophieChloe

Quote from: Canuck on September 29, 2014, 08:18:18 PM
Quote from: SophieChloe on September 29, 2014, 08:11:09 PM
I'm willing to wager deep-down they are as pissed with her as I am.   

If that's how you feel -- with no evidence to support it, and plenty of evidence to the contrary -- then I think we'll just have to agree to disagree, and I'll bow out of this particular conversation.
That's why I said "I'm willing to wager".   The parents daren't speak out...again IMO.

Sorry to have chased you both way...I'm only giving my opinion.... :hug: :knit:

TLLK

Haven't chased anyone away, just had to switch from washer to drier. IMO no point in rehashing this today. There is always tomorrow.  :lol:

tiaras

Quote from: Limabeany on September 29, 2014, 06:41:28 PM
lol yes I will never understand what royal watchers "watch" so boring  :happy15:

TLLK

Oh but each new event brings so much!!!  :computer:A new pair of shiny scissors to cut a satin ribbon or the chance for a mayor to wear his/her chain of office or sash.  :banana: Perhaps that royal will ride a bicycle, jump up and eat a piece of cake on a string or get wet on by a koala. Anything is possible if your security staff pre-approve it.  :lol:

KaTerina Montague

So returning to Royal duties essentially means she will continue to not do them. She must be the laziest royal out right now.

amabel

Quote from: Canuck on September 29, 2014, 07:55:10 PM
I don't think the fact that she's not doing as many engagements as some would like necessarily means that any engagements she DOES do are strictly for PR purposes.  She would have to be not only a very callous individual, but also an excellent actress, to repeatedly use dying children solely for PR while at the same time convincing their parents and care workers that she really does care.

As for what else they could say:  well, they could say nothing, or be less effusive with their praise, if they didn't really believe her to be engaged and genuine when she visits.  The fact that they uniformly say such glowing things is a pretty good indication they believe them.
I don't think that she does nearly enough... but of course the charities are not going to say she does very little or that they are not pleased by the stuff she does do. I just don't feel the warmth from her that was so easy to feel from Diana... and its a fact that prior to her becoming a royal, she seems to have done NOTHING in the Charity field, and little in any other field.

wannable

Nothing? Starlight foundation was something.

cinrit

I think there are people who want Kate to be another Diana.  To act like Diana did with people.  To say the things Diana said.  Doubtful that that will ever happen, and it shouldn't.  Everyone is an individual and should be taken as such.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

amabel

Quote from: wannable on September 30, 2014, 12:58:07 PM
Nothing? Starlight foundation was something.
I thought that was a charity set up by her parents.  All I've heard of her doing was a boat race.. (much more about displaying themselves spray painted than actually doing anyting) and she drooped out of that.. and a fashion show at college.. again... hardly sterling charity work

Double post auto-merged: September 30, 2014, 01:08:57 PM

Quote from: cinrit on September 30, 2014, 12:58:32 PM
I think there are people who want Kate to be another Diana.  To act like Diana did with people.  To say the things Diana said.  Doubtful that that will ever happen, and it shouldn't.  Everyone is an individual and should be taken as such.

Cindy
true but she's pretty blah.  Perhaps the RF are prepared to settle for someone bland and not very energetic, rather than someone charismatic but not very reliable.

wannable

Kate then private citizen, single, working for the family business, got party pieces involved with starlight foundation, being herself very active with them. Source: interview with The founder of SF.

Also as senior prefect whilst in Marlborough college, she was required to be charity leader, forced or not as prefect, but it is a requirement, so yes it's something rather than nothing.

Remember the Morrison photography curation, organization exhibition for charity she did this too, plus the infamous attempt with the skating charity, at least she tried.

It's part of her biography- it is matter of fact considered history as she will be the future Queen consort. First prefect princess, first university grad...etc.

cinrit

Quote from: amabel on September 30, 2014, 01:08:10 PM
true but she's pretty blah.  Perhaps the RF are prepared to settle for someone bland and not very energetic, rather than someone charismatic but not very reliable. 

The Queen is pretty blah, for that matter.  Most of the Royals are.  We can have another Diana, who wasn't very discrete, or another Sarah Ferguson who made the wrong kind of headlines, or we can have the Royals who keep to themselves.  And maybe after all the drama of his parents' marriage, that's exactly what William (and the Royal Family as a whole) wants and needs.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

DaisyMeRollin

Quote from: cinrit on September 30, 2014, 12:58:32 PM

Cindy

While I don't think people are expecting another Diana, Diana did set the bar. What is seen as a hurdle for some, Kate makes it look like it's a pole vault, which for someone of her position and the perks that she receives because of it, may as well be merely skipping over a puddle. She is more coddled and protected because of the worst of Diana's experiences.

After reading the article that Lady Adams shared, I'm more inclined to lean into the speculations of others that maybe she is "held back" and kept from utilizing her natural talents and education? Then again, she might be spineless or simply securing her cushy circumstances for not rocking the boat a little. Personally, I've never thought of her as "stupid","calculating", or the myriad of impulsive criticisms that people hurl at her. I do think she lacks a little grit and gusto, because if she felt legitimately passionate about something, the only person truly holding herself back is her. 

So again, is it the public, is it her, is it the RF, or is it the Gordian Knot combination of all three?
"No one is dumb who is curious. The people who don't ask questions remain clueless throughout their lives." - Neil DeGrasse Tyson