New info on Princess Margarets marriage: a harbinger of the events of 92???

Started by Duch_Luver_4ever, October 22, 2016, 06:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duch_Luver_4ever

Princess Margaret entered doomed marriage because of lover's letter | Daily Mail Online

So an interesting article about the story of how she ended up married to Lord Snowdon. As someone who didnt really follow it first time around, its chilling how it seems to parallel the marriages that broke down in the early 90s.

Someone unwilling to compromise and opt for happiness, why Margaret would cling to the very slim chance of getting the throne in exchange for marrying the one she loves? Marries someone under pressure who isnt their first choice, fights and affairs ensue, then finally divorce (the first since Henry VIII)  :o  (really Charles, you didnt pay attention to that, hmmm?)

Unlike C&C, Margaret didnt get to marry her beau, although one has to raise an eyebrow that she was 14 and Peter Townsend was over 30!!! They strongly invite you to reside in Her Majesty's Prisons for that nowadays.....

Just interesting that the annus horribilis may have started as a snowflake here, that rolled on to an avalanche by 92.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

^^^Just a clarification while they were first acquainted when she was 14, he was newly married and involved in WWII when she was a school girl living at Windsor.  What we consider to be Princess Margaret and Peter Townsend's relationship didn't really begin until 1952 when she was 22 years of age. :)

Duch_Luver_4ever

Thanks for the info @TLLK the photo and article made it seem like things started then, I figured it was another PP/Elizabeth situation.

Whats your thoughts on Margaret's romantic situation being a lesson the royals failed to learn from that they paid dearly for in the 90s?
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

I think the whole situation was very sad but had it been a few decades later, no one would have raised an eyebrow about Margaret seeing a divorced man.  Actually I think the result of  Margaret's romance with Peter ending, found Elizabeth and family doing their best to not involve themselves in the various romances in the family. Now if we look at the entire family most of those have worked out as Margaret's, the Kent and Gloucester kids appear to all be happily wed to their spouses. Many of them have been married since the 1990's.  Unfortunately it didn't bode well for Charles, Anne and Andrew though Edward/Sophie seem to be in it for the long haul.

Anne and Mark seemed to be well-suited and were together for a long time. I think they just fell out of love at some point.  Charles and Diana-Not going to rehash that one again!  Andrew and Sarah-Would have thought initially that they would have lasted, and if he'd been posted on shore duty, then I think it would have stood a better chance. They still seem to have a deep affection for each other.

Edward and Sophie seem to have benefited from having a very long courtship which would not have been encouraged twenty years prior. With the Wessexes,  Elizabeth and Phillip seem to have found the balance between giving the couple some space and keeping a discreet eye on the relationship's progress. Charles, Anne and Andrew seem to have done the same with their  own adult children. Now not entirely related to romances, but  another factor is that  I strongly believe that the palace realized it had not prepared Diana and Sarah well enough for their roles in the family and changed their princess preparation model when it came to Sophie, Camilla and Kate.  Whatever changes were made seem to be working IMHO.  :)