Paul Keating blasts PM Malcolm Turnbull over Australian Republic

Started by Kritter, January 01, 2018, 09:50:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kritter

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/business/work/paul-keating-blasts-pm-malcolm-turnbull-over-australian-republic/news-story/85326258678bc8b78f537da14255c157

QuoteMALCOLM Turnbull?s suggestion that a postal survey could be held on whether Australia should become a republic has reignited calls for a plebiscite by 2020.

The Prime Minster raised the possibility today of a postal vote being held to answer the key questions of what kind of government Australians would want if the nation were to break constitutional ties with Britain.

He was responding to a scathing criticism from former Prime Minister Paul Keating over his lack of action on the republic issue.

Australian Republic Movement Chair Peter Fitzsimons has now called on Mr Turnbull commit to holding a national vote on an Australian republic after the next election.

Curryong

Paul Keating is always complaining about something. It's been a habit of his to attack people since he left office. Turnbull's view has been for several years that nothing should be done until after the Queen's death. But we shall see. I think this will probably die down within a day or two. Businesses, factories often close down in Austraila until February. It's summer and the height of the holiday season. People aren't thinking about it and indeed it's been on the back burner for some years.

Kritter

I think most Republican movements are waiting for the Queen to exit. Charles has proven to be a Republican's dream & they have been waiting with baited breath.    :)

royalanthropologist

I actually think they should do it now or at the earliest opportunity. The British monarchy has zero relevance to Australia and it is about time the Australians chose their own leaders. I am sure Charles would be more than happy to welcome their news head of state in the future. Like the queen said- their country, their choice.

Charles has very little to do with Australia and it is preposterous to suggest that the Australians are asking for independence for no other reason than that Charles might be a head of state. In any case the commonwealth has already agreed that he will be their head so all this "Charles caused the republic" thing does not make sense to me. Just another "Charles the devil" yarn in some people's imaginations.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Kritter

royalanthropologist

I hear a gratuitous insult coming along? but hey... that is expected when false flags are challenged.

Wishing Australia all the best all the same. I hope they can become a Republic asap and elect their own president.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace