Prince Henry of Prussia was an Albert

Started by LouisFerdinand, November 25, 2015, 11:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

Prince Henry of Prussia (1862-1929) was a younger brother of German Emperor Wilhelm II.     
His full name was Albert Wilhelm Heinrich. His first name of Albert was in honor of his maternal grandfather, Prince Albert, the Prince Consort.

Curryong

I think the Crown Princess of Prussia (Vicky) was expecting Henry (Heinrich)  at the time of the Prince Consort's death in December 1861 so she couldn't go to the funeral. As Vicky adored her father she was devastated to be away from her birth family, especially her mother, at that sad time.

Heinrich grew up to be a man of moderate ability. He was placed as administrative head of his brother, Kaiser Wilhelm's Imperial navy, having been a serving naval officer.

Heinrich married his first cousin Irene of Hesse, annoying their grandmother Queen Victoria as they had kept their projected engagement quiet and so she didn't know about it beforehand! The couple were known as 'the Amiables' among their relatives, as they got on with everyone.

The central tragedy of their lives was that Irene proved to be a carrier for haemophilia. The couple's eldest son, Waldemar, was a haemophiliac and died at the end of WW2 due to a lack of a blood transfusion. Their youngest son Heinrich (who suffered from the same disease) died at the age of four after he jumped down from a table.

Irene of course lived on until 1953, through the murders of her sisters Ella and Alexandra and those of Alex's family.

amabel

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on November 25, 2015, 11:43:28 PM
Prince Henry of Prussia (1862-1929) was a younger brother of German Emperor Wilhelm II.     
His full name was Albert Wilhelm Heinrich. His first name of Albert was in honor of his maternal grandfather, Prince Albert, the Prince Consort.
Noting surprising about that most of Q Vic's grandsons had the name Albert 

Curryong

Quote from: amabel on November 28, 2015, 08:50:00 AM
Quote from: LouisFerdinand on November 25, 2015, 11:43:28 PM
Noting surprising about that most of Q Vic's grandsons had the name Albert

^ No, nor that Victoria's granddaughters were named after her, until George V rebelled. Well actually, Edward and Alexandra rebelled but they had an excuse as their first daughter was named after Alex's mother.

amabel

Their first daughter was called Victoria, Louise Victoria Alexandra Dagmar.   Most of V's grandchildren were called Albert or Victoria somewhere in their names.

LouisFerdinand

Prince Henry became one of the first members of the Yacht Club of Kiel, established in 1887.                           
  :willnavy1: :willnavy1: :willnavy1: :willnavy1:

LouisFerdinand

Princess Cassandra

She would be Prince Philip's great aunt, I think? I wonder if he ever had contact with her prior to her death, as he would have been in his mid to late 20's when she died.

LouisFerdinand

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on June 10, 2019, 10:47:54 PM
She would be Prince Philip's great aunt, I think? I wonder if he ever had contact with her prior to her death, as he would have been in his mid to late 20's when she died.

@Princess Cassandra, Yes, Princess Irene would be Philip's great aunt (grand aunt). She was a sister of his grandmother Victoria, Marchioness of Milford-Haven.