Why Diana will never die.

Started by Duch_Luver_4ever, July 14, 2016, 03:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duch_Luver_4ever

Why Princess Diana Will Never Die - The Daily Beast

Below are some snips from the article, I got thinking walking to work yesterday, that for all the palace's efforts to recast Camilla, will people care even 3 months after she dies??? How many, besides rent a crowds will line the streets??? People say Camilla played the long game, but maybe Diana played the best long game, in a hundred years people will still be fascinated by her.  :flower:

"Watching the story told again and again, you not only think there was nobody like her, no royal as boundary-breaking before or since; but also that her stardom was unlike any other celebrity's. This was pre-mass internet, pre-selfie, pre-Twitter, yet all commanding and global. Nothing could dent it, no scandal could derail it.

If the people loved her passionately, and mourned her loudly, it was because she was the best kind of figurehead: passionate, feeling, and brave.

Diana both changed the rules of the royal game, and recast the power and peril of celebrity. Her life and death were played out in the infancy of things—24-hour news, social media—which would, perhaps at another time, consumed her time, energy, and private and public personality in a different way. She lived on the cusp of old and new-style fame models, and she was mourned like a classic Hollywood star, and princess, and heroine."
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

BonnyHoneyBunny

Whenever someone already iconic dies very young they often become even more iconic and in our memories they stay young forever, because we never saw them age.

There's also the feeling that their lives and achievements have never been completed and I think that somehow creates a greater need to hold on to their memory, dedicate things to them, contribute good acts on their behalf etc., because they never got the chance to fulfil everything they could have done themselves!

Duch_Luver_4ever

Well done on the feature for your post @BonnyHoneyBunny was waiting for more replies to chime in on my thread, I think you bring up two good points. It was like someone said about her in reference to JFK, " we can never close the book on them because the next chapter will never get written." To a point part of it is that they keep their youthful/youthfulish appearance, and the tragedy that comes with someone going before their time.

Now this person said it in reference to us never seeing Diana grow old and not look as good as she used to be, and while to a point thats true of any of us, I feel that some of her critics were almost sad they got denied this with her passing. While we didnt see her age, and theres some debate about how she would have taken to ageing, her beauty would have still stood the test of time, as she always was pretty from that inner glow that could never get captured right in drawings, likenesses, etc.

As for her works, thats the real tragedy, I think she would have done so much for so many in the estimated 50-60 years she may have had given a supposed full like span, it pains me to think of the millions raised for charity and ideas that would have been changed, and lives made better that didnt happen.

Jenee had a great question in the highlighting of the post asking why were drawn to remember celebrities, I think its they show a brighter version of ourselves, our good qualities, our faults, things we wish we could do, etc. Not to mention their actions and in some cases like with Diana, the ironies that come with their celebrity, being so loved, but feeling desperately unloved, sought by most men, but always picked the wrong one, etc..

So many of us live lives of quiet desperation, that we live through them, almost as if civilization has boxed us in and they serve as proxies for the adventure that used to be in life. Also as things like family and communities break down, they serve as a substitute for our need to belong to something outside ourselves.  When they die, part of us, that we invested in them dies as well, and our rituals havent caught up yet as for how to deal with that loss.

We often think that they have a life of total comfort and ease, and often its not much better than our life, except for better food and travel. Since we all die its like life is like a plane or boat that will crash, it happens to all of us and we wont get away from it, but some will have a better meal and seat, but in the end, they suffer what we all will.

While all of whats in the thread is true of how many felt about Diana, for me it wasnt the loss of all that, it was the loss of that school assistant that never knew it till she saw it all over my face, but was the first to leave her name on my heart.  :flower:

"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.