Abdication and Enthronement Discussion

Started by TLLK, October 20, 2017, 01:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

The Japanese government has decided that HIM Emperor Akihito's abdication date is March 31, 2019. CP Naruhito begins his reign as Emperor of Japan on April 1, 2019.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japan-emperor/japans-emperor-akihito-likely-to-abdicate-at-end-march-2019-asahi-idUSKBN1CP024

Curryong

Good! Let's hope this poor old man lives to see his liberation.

TLLK

I sincerely hope that he and Michiko can enjoy some years in retirement together.

sara8150

Akihito to become first Japanese emperor to abdicate in 200 years
Akihito to become first Japanese emperor to abdicate in 200 years | World news | The Guardian

Double post auto-merged: December 01, 2017, 04:21:51 PM

Japan's emperor to become 1st to abdicate in 200 years
Emperor Akihito to abdicate Japan's Chrysanthemum Throne in April 2019 - CBS News

TLLK

TLLK

Japan's crown princess vows efforts as her succession to empress looms - The Mainichi

QuoteTOKYO (Kyodo) -- Crown Princess Masako, who has been long struggling with depression, vowed on the occasion of her 54th birthday Saturday continued effort to fulfill her duties as she is now set to become Japan's empress in May 2019.

"When I think about the future, I feel a sobering sense of awe," the crown princess said in a prepared statement, referring to the previous day's Cabinet decision setting April 30, 2019 as day Emperor Akihito will relinquish the Chrysanthemum throne.

The following day his elder son Crown Prince Naruhito will become the emperor, and Crown Princess Masako will become empress of Japan.

"Following Their Majesties of the Emperor and Empress as my guide, I will step up efforts to be able to fulfill my duties while supporting his Imperial Highness" Crown Prince Naruhito, she said.

amabel

This is the lady who had all the rpoblems and was mute at times?  Is it really good for her to have the strain of being Empress?

Curryong

Masako has vowed to try her best to support her husband as Emperor in 2019. If she has another mental breakdown that will be very sad. However, there's not much that can be done about it. Both the present Emperor and his wife are very very elderly and extremely frail. They can't go on for ever, and he has been failing for quite some time.

amabel

How old are their children?  can they take on some of the roles of support and consort?

Curryong

They have one child, a daughter, who is a schoolgirl of about sixteen. The fact that they do not have a male heir, something of huge importance to the Imperial Royal Family, was an added rod for the Imperial Household to beat Masako about.

TLLK

As @Curryong pointed out it will be years before Aiko takes up royal duties. She still needs to graduate from high school and university which will likely include some years spent at a foreign university much like her father did at Cambridge. The imperial working family members is small when compared to their UK counterparts.

In the meantime, the couple will still have support from his younger brother Ashkino and wife Kiko.  Their daughter Mako is getting married next year and will be expected to leave the Imperial Family upon her marriage much like her aunt  Sayako did a few years ago. Now I wouldn't be surprised if the Ahkihito and Michiko still do the occasional appearance even after their abdication.

amabel

Sound pretty disastrous.. I know the old emperor is very old and fragile but - a new Empress with problems, including a fear she might have a nervous breakdown, and only a young daughter who would not be accepted as successor...

TLLK

Japan mulls holding emperor's abdication ceremony as state occasion

QuoteThe Japanese government is considering holding Emperor Akihito's abdication ceremony at the Imperial Palace on April 30, 2019 as a state occasion, government sources said Monday.

TLLK

Crown prince in training, right on track to be new emperor?The Asahi Shimbun

QuoteCrown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako seem to know what sort of imperial couple they want to be.

Naruhito, dressed in a tracksuit, was seen among a group of people jogging around the Imperial Palace on the afternoon of Feb. 25, 2015.

It was his first jog around the palace in eight years, and he finished the 5-kilometer route in a solid time of 27 minutes and 20 seconds.

He makes it his daily routine to run in the grounds of the Akasaka Estate, where his residence is located. The crown prince, whose hobbies include mountaineering, has also climbed more than 170 mountains.

?He has been working out on a daily basis so that he can stand in for the emperor anytime,? said an Imperial Household Agency source.

Naruhito will ascend the Chrysanthemum Throne in May 2019, ending the Heisei Era and starting his reign at age 59--the second-oldest emperor ever at the time of ascension.

The crown prince has hinted what sort of emperor he intends to be. Naruhito mentioned water control and other water-related issues he researches as his life?s work, saying that it is his ?new public duty in step with the era.?

Mike

Mark Twain:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
and
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

Curryong

Hope that the new Empress Masako continues on her road to recovery from the worst of her anxiety and depression. It was very sad to see her in years gone by being so heavily criticised and not having the confidence to accompany her husband to several overseas and domestic engagements. Naruhito was however taken under the wing of several European royals including Willem Alex and my fave Maxi on occasion! I would love to see Masako shine!

royalanthropologist

The whole thing from the abdication to the new reign seemed very clinical, grey and somewhat un-joyous. I can imagine why a well-educated girl might feel stiffed by the imperial palace. Doesn't seem like a particularly friendly place.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

amabel

It seems like it is going to be a huge amount of stress for the former Crown Princess

Curryong

I think Masako had real trouble with the life that the Imperial Household imposes on the RF from the beginning. And giving birth to a baby of the 'wrong' gender was the last straw in a way. However, she seems to be on the mend in the last few years so hopefully things will change.

Blue Clover

@Curryong Yes, I agree. She has had a tough time. I really do wish her all the best moving forward in her new role.

royalanthropologist

Sounds like being a Japanese royal is quite tough. I hear that one of the criticism against the new empress is that she towers over her husband and yet she is only 5,4??? :shrug: :ahhh:
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

wannable

Strange, the Japanese are very strict and disciplined in their culture and everyday life.  She must have known what was to be expected.