Prince Harry and Meghan Markle relationship

Started by stepperry, November 02, 2016, 08:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SophieChloe

Quote from: Vesper on December 08, 2016, 07:33:14 PM
^^ And I have the opposite view. While I agree she's more intelligent and articulate than you know who, she also has some very strong negative attributes that are far more dangerous for the monarchy. Miss outspoken - I'm a great feminist - which is all a show anyway, is going to have a rude awakening if she marries in. What happens when she has to fall in line and her famewhoring is limited? I foresee the airing of the dirty laundry that will make Diana and Fergie look docile. The way this relationship started and was unveiled will be how the marriage between the two will end, full of drama and acrimony. She's an actress and will get high on the publicity.
You make some excellent points.  Very sad that married-ins feel the need to suppress themselves and become almost mute and the need to (IMO) stave themselves skinny. 

However. I wish Harry and Meghan all the very best.  And I will secretly chuckle when she shows his Brother's choice for the lazy donk she has proved to be. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Yale

Quote from: LadyLenox on December 08, 2016, 07:59:07 PM
I love her and I agree they both look VERY HAPPY! I DO NOT think she is a fame :censored:...The tabloids are the ones going through everything making a story about her! She has been completely SILENT! A fame :censored: would be bragging to everyone she knew! If you are assuming by her jewelry where else would she wear the jewelry her boyfriend gives her...? A bracelet and necklace can only go 2 places on her body and both are visible,she doesn't have to hide her gifts from him...Stop the personal attacking,this forum is for commenting on the relationship,not your personal hatred of her.

I agree 100% So well said!!

Vesper

@SophieChloe I think it depends. The monarchy does require discretion and and a bit more of the reserved type, which is why a celebrity is not such a good idea, but I think the right temperament could forge a nice balance between life as a senior royal and personal happiness. Sophie does it, although you can argue that she's not senior enough, but everyone else has been a disaster.

This mixing celebrity with royalty might seem to some people as snobbish, I'm the opposite of that, but if the people in the institution are turned into reality tv stars then what's the point of them? Why pay such high price for entertainment when you you can get that for a much cheaper internet connection?

Kate, for all her faults, is at least inoffensive and not in your face.

Double post auto-merged: December 08, 2016, 09:30:38 PM

Correction: I meant my main concern about mixing celebrity with royalty.

HistoryGirl

I suppose it all depends on one's feelings towards the monarchy to begin with. They might end up together, they might not, but personally if they don't I don't believe it'll be because the RF found her unsuitable. That's the part of the fairytale that I just don't buy.

Vesper

I don't think the RF believes in fairytales at all, especially after Diana, and that's exactly my point. They must now be very careful and a lot more practical regarding marriage. This whole Harry loves Meghan so much he gave her a love bracelet and necklace is the definition of Disney princess storyline. I don't even think they make them that cheesy anymore.

Cat00

^         

Do you want more fame than being married to a prince? And she can continue working on humanitarian causes and also on her blog. She herself said that it is difficult for her to get good roles because of her ethnicity. She knows that the acting career is uncertain, I doubt she would not leave because of the marriage.

Just because of Diana, I think the queen saw that it did not work very well for her children to marry people of noble families and Within the standards. Fergie was within the standards and see what happened  :hehe:

sandy

Well the Queen did lower the bar when she admitted Camilla Parker Bowles, the divorcee and the other woman in the marriage of  Prince Charles. It's all downhill from there.  The Queen should have realized what a self centered selfish person Charles was to want to have his cake and eat it too.  Diana's marriage to Charles did not work well because of Charles preferring his married mistress.  Fergie did not marry the heir apparent and she had just moved on from living with a man, so the standards did not apply to Prince Andrew.  CHarles decided to marry Diana not Camilla to have his heirs with.

Double post auto-merged: December 09, 2016, 02:11:34 AM

Quote from: Eri on December 08, 2016, 02:38:05 PM
^ She won't move anywhere as she is only using sleeping with Harry for attention given that she knows it has no future ... it will be over soon ... embarrassing that he uses her for you know what but won't be seen with her in public especially if you are 35 and divorced ... nothing to like about this woman without any self respect ... she should have demanded he acts like a normal proud boyfriend instead of him putting ignorant idiotic statement out there that started the backlash against both of them ... but again that will never happen and all she will ever get out of him is that statement ...

What backlash? I think more are totally indifferent to this and some actually like them as a couple. Charles was seen with Camilla in public when she was 50 and divorced. Maybe Meghan could be using him for you know what. LOL

Kinkade

I think the main difference between how we all view this relationship is that some think this is like a Disney movie while some of us are more based on reality.

To me, being a part of a Royal Family is about responsibility and duty. And at a time when Royalty is either being abolished or viewed as insignificant, every action a Royal makes should reflect good behavior and proper conduct. Harry may or may not care what the British public think of his actions, but the backlash of it all will affect the whole family as an institution.

Meghan's attention seeking actions have been well planned and timed, I'm not surprised that lawyers and PR are working w/ certain magazine outlets. (I mean really, no scarf in cold Toronto so she could be papped w/ wearing her necklace JUST right in time w/ Harry's visit, how gullible does she think most people are?) She is American and her view of the whole BRF is probably more Disney based than duty based. If she really wants to get into this family, she needs to learn the rules and learn from Diana's mistakes. You don't overshadow the Queen nor the institution.

But then again, we all still don't know what their personal motives are. For Harry, this could all be a fun relationship (not living in the same city, so no responsibility) w/ a convenient booty call. For Meghan, it could be the boost to her profile that she needs.

sandy

Kate Middleton did plenty of attention seeking pre-marriage. She did not have a "proper job" and was criticized and went on a very public campaign (press and all) to "win back William." DIana did not make "mistakes", her husband did by going into the marriage not intending to give up Camilla. Diana (when all the backstory was unknown) was praised by the press for "not putting a foot wrong" during the run up to the marriage.  Charles petty jealousy of his fiancee then wife was the problem. I doubt the Queen felt "upstaged" by Diana in the least. Charles was not man enough to appreciate his own wife. DIana was a nervous, scared young woman barely 20 when she did her first walkabout but the public took to her to Charles chagrin.

I think Camilla added to the royal family lowered the bar. I see nothing wrong with Meghan. Harry may marry her, he may not. But the royals can hardly turn up their noses at her considering how Camilla got in. They'd look like a bunch of hypocrites. Meghan had a career before she met Harry and still has one. She comes across to me as independent unlike Kate who focused her whole life on getting a ring from William and waited ten years doing little. 

So far I see no "jealous of his own wife" behavior from PRince William and I doubt Harry will inherit this hangup from Prince Charles.

TLLK

Quote from: Cat00 on December 09, 2016, 12:56:34 AM

^         

Do you want more fame than being married to a prince? And she can continue working on humanitarian causes and also on her blog. She herself said that it is difficult for her to get good roles because of her ethnicity. She knows that the acting career is uncertain, I doubt she would not leave because of the marriage.

Just because of Diana, I think the queen saw that it did not work very well for her children to marry people of noble families and Within the standards. Fergie was within the standards and see what happened  :hehe:
IMHO QEII and the DoE have come to realize that it was better that their children find partners that had similar shared interests, discretion and a stable relationship rooted in friendship over ties to the aristocracy or the polo set.  Also it seems that they've given their blessing better to  extended courtships rather than quick engagements.  Edward and Sophie appear to be committed  and they dated longer than any of his siblings and former in-laws before announcing their engagement.

If QEII, the DoE, and PoW see that Harry and Meghan have shared interests, a stable relationship and are appear to be discreet about their interaction then likely they'll give their blessing if the pair become engaged. 

Curryong

Edward and Sophie lived together for quite a long time before marriage. It may have been that other members of the BRF were curious about why they were taking so long. I can't remember where I read it at all, but did  read somewhere that Sophie stated to a friend that their longterm relationship was very good and stable but every time marriage was mentioned (by others) Edward pulled away. They wanted a family and Sophie wasn't getting any younger so whatever reservations Edward may have had about married life had to be put aside in the end I suppose.

psm

I was so excited about this relationship. Now, not so much.

I feel that they are both acting immature and considering their ages, that is sad.

Meghan seems to be enjoying the celebrity aspect of it a little too much. I don't care that she continues with the IG and her website, but it is easy to avoid attention bringing ones, like the Union Jack, the necklace (yes she can avoid wearing them outside, nobody is forcing her to wear it 24/7).

Besides Toronto is a very safe environment for celebrities, they are rarely papped. I am very suspicious of that fact that she is routinely photographed. That is very very unusual for Toronto.

Actors and actresses actively seek fame. They are known to have big egos. She is not different. She loves to network, hence all her famous connections, her catching up with Pierce Morgan when in London. She was a D-Lister and this is her ticket to A-list and i am afraid she loves it way too much.

Harry is smitten, but I don't think it is unique. When he was with Chelsy, he used to fly over for day long trips to South Africa just to surprise her. He has defended her on his birthday interview. He is a passionate man.

I initially found his letter romantic, but having reread it and thought about it, it was a wrong move. He's not only confirmed the relationship, but because of his age, now everybody expects him to get engaged anytime now. This wouldn't have happened with Cressida, because she wouldn't have let him do it. Meghan, being an American celebrity, had her finger prints all over the wording of the letter and it skyrocketed her fame.

Also she does not understand what is expected of a BRF member. If she did, she would have told him not to fly over from his tour to Toronto. It was an absolutely bad move. They are clearly instructed not to mix personal with business. On top of that he's blatantly lied to the press. Yes he doesn't have to tell us that he is seeing his girlfriend, so he could have flied back to London and then to Toronto. As a public servant his business needs to be transparent, yet he lied! It is something I cannot pull off at my job, nor can anyone else. And just a few weeks after the huge Buckingham renovation bill is announced. Very very bad and spoiled move, the kind of move we've been seeing from his brother. I have to admit I am very disappointed.

Cat00

The main difference is that when he dated Chelsy he was a boy, now he is a man. It is common to be impulsive when one is very young, more in the mature age, it is love, passion that lead to these attitudes.
  I do not think it's a Disney movie, I just think it's about two people with common interests who really love each other. Sorry, but I believe in love !! :hug:

Now all she does is show up? She is the actress who is acting, has fans, why should she stop her life? She has to leave and continue publishing on social networks. The problem is that some  Prejudiced people, not accepting the fact that she was a foreigner and bi racial, wanted Harry to marry only english girl, blond, white, , not to mention the deceived who still dream that He will return with ex girlfriends.

sandy

Quote from: TLLK on December 09, 2016, 04:22:59 AM
Quote from: Cat00 on December 09, 2016, 12:56:34 AM

^         

IMHO QEII and the DoE have come to realize that it was better that their children find partners that had similar shared interests, discretion and a stable relationship rooted in friendship over ties to the aristocracy or the polo set.  Also it seems that they've given their blessing better to  extended courtships rather than quick engagements.  Edward and Sophie appear to be committed  and they dated longer than any of his siblings and former in-laws before announcing their engagement.

If QEII, the DoE, and PoW see that Harry and Meghan have shared interests, a stable relationship and are appear to be discreet about their interaction then likely they'll give their blessing if the pair become engaged. 

Since the Queen  knew about Camilla, I find it amazing that she sat back and watched Diana and Charles get married--it was a disaster in the making. The other couples did not have this complication.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on December 09, 2016, 04:34:05 AM
Edward and Sophie lived together for quite a long time before marriage. It may have been that other members of the BRF were curious about why they were taking so long. I can't remember where I read it at all, but did  read somewhere that Sophie stated to a friend that their longterm relationship was very good and stable but every time marriage was mentioned (by others) Edward pulled away. They wanted a family and Sophie wasn't getting any younger so whatever reservations Edward may have had about married life had to be put aside in the end I suppose.
That must have been an uncomfortable period in their relationship with family/friends asking when the couple might be married. Unfortunately for Edward he was on the sidelines watching his siblings' marriages ending badly in the public spotlight. I can't blame him for having some reservations especially after viewing the War of the Wales and the demise of the York marriage.

Glad to see that the Wessexes appear to have a very solid and stable relationship. Sophie had the opportunity to get to know the ways of the BRF from the sidelines and to consider if this was the life she wanted to lead. IMO it's part of the reason that the couple are still going strong after so many years together.

sandy

It would have been a blessing to Diana if she had been allowed a longer waiting period. She could have quietly backed out before Charles proposed as Camilla's influence became more apparent.

TLLK

I agree @sandy. Also if both Charles and Diana had been dating for a longer period of time, they could have discovered how little that they had in common and gone their separate ways.

Fortunately for the BRF the younger generation: QEII's maried grandchildren, Margaret's children, and most of the children of the Kents and Gloucesters appear to be doing well when it comes to marriage and many of them dated their spouses for quite awhile before marrying. Marina Ogilvy might be the only one who has gotten a divorce.

Yale

Meghan is a foreigner and biracial.  That is the problem for many. They won't admit it, but it's the truth!!

I read that there are many in the country celebrating the possibility of Britain having it's first British(/American) Princess of color.  And I must admit that is one of the things I am very excited  about too.

Kinkade

Quote from: psm on December 09, 2016, 12:02:13 PM
I was so excited about this relationship. Now, not so much.

I feel that they are both acting immature and considering their ages, that is sad.

Meghan seems to be enjoying the celebrity aspect of it a little too much. I don't care that she continues with the IG and her website, but it is easy to avoid attention bringing ones, like the Union Jack, the necklace (yes she can avoid wearing them outside, nobody is forcing her to wear it 24/7).

Besides Toronto is a very safe environment for celebrities, they are rarely papped. I am very suspicious of that fact that she is routinely photographed. That is very very unusual for Toronto.

Actors and actresses actively seek fame. They are known to have big egos. She is not different. She loves to network, hence all her famous connections, her catching up with Pierce Morgan when in London. She was a D-Lister and this is her ticket to A-list and i am afraid she loves it way too much.

Harry is smitten, but I don't think it is unique. When he was with Chelsy, he used to fly over for day long trips to South Africa just to surprise her. He has defended her on his birthday interview. He is a passionate man.

I initially found his letter romantic, but having reread it and thought about it, it was a wrong move. He's not only confirmed the relationship, but because of his age, now everybody expects him to get engaged anytime now. This wouldn't have happened with Cressida, because she wouldn't have let him do it. Meghan, being an American celebrity, had her finger prints all over the wording of the letter and it skyrocketed her fame.

Also she does not understand what is expected of a BRF member. If she did, she would have told him not to fly over from his tour to Toronto. It was an absolutely bad move. They are clearly instructed not to mix personal with business. On top of that he's blatantly lied to the press. Yes he doesn't have to tell us that he is seeing his girlfriend, so he could have flied back to London and then to Toronto. As a public servant his business needs to be transparent, yet he lied! It is something I cannot pull off at my job, nor can anyone else. And just a few weeks after the huge Buckingham renovation bill is announced. Very very bad and spoiled move, the kind of move we've been seeing from his brother. I have to admit I am very disappointed.

^^^ this eloquently states much of how I see this.

It has been one bad decision/move after another. But then again, I think Harry and Meghan view their relationship  differently and have different goals for the outcome of it. Guess because it's barely gotten started but their actions don't show unity and again... puts each of them in a bad light. Harry looks like a spoiled rich kid. Meghan looks like an attention seeking social climber.  :no: :no: :no:

Double post auto-merged: December 10, 2016, 08:00:43 AM

Quote from: Yale on December 10, 2016, 02:20:42 AM
Meghan is a foreigner and biracial.  That is the problem for many. They won't admit it, but it's the truth!!

I read that there are many in the country celebrating the possibility of Britain having it's first British(/American) Princess of color.  And I must admit that is one of the things I am very excited  about too.

Meghan isn't the first foreigner or biracial that has dated European royalty. A number of foreigners (African Americans, Asian, Latinas, other mixed race)  even married into them. One of them is even now the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg. (yes, it hasn't been easy for her either, but that's another story) A lot of them met the Princes/Princesses in Universities, boarding schools or the diplomatic core/events. Some of them come from highly educated and well to do families.

I'm sure there are those who don't like her because as you said "she's a foreigner and biracial".

But Meghan's main difference w/ the others is her past and her occupation.
But even if the press and public have a problem w/ her past, they would run out of things to publish eventually if she'd kept a low profile and stop seeking attention. NO leaks, no necklaces or bracelets, no body guards or big black SUVs, no social media posts stating her location, no union jacks on her dog... all these things have kept her name on the papers week after week after week. So how can one say that she is not seeking attention and egging the Press on.

As people here keep saying, she (and Harry) are older and should know better. She knows she's dating one of the highest profile royal out there. If her motives were pure and simple, it could've been done easily and the Press would've looked stupid because there would've been no clues or innuendoes, so no news. They can keep digging her past and they'd run out of material. But now, she's the one providing the material and pictures for them to keep her name being mentioned. 

Vesper

Quote from: Yale on December 10, 2016, 02:20:42 AM

We are in 2016, being bi-racial and American is NOT a problem at all. It's her drama queen way and her famewhoring that are a problem. The way she leaked the story to the media, and when Harry said nothing for days, after dropping hints left and right, she threw a hissy fit.

I'm going to say this again. What actress does not understand how fame works? Can you control the internet? Come on... She isn't liked because she failed to make a good impression. She's fake just like the rest of the Hollywood wannabes.

I would love some diversity in that family. That would be super interesting and exciting, but this one is a disaster.

I'll leave you with this: it's the DM and they are usually full of crap, but this is hilariously accurate.

Does she love me for myself? As cynics doubt Meghan's motives, how besotted Prince Harry might seek advice from our 'agony aunt' JAN MOIR, who interprets her social media posts and photos of them
By Jan Moir for the Daily Mail
19:02 EST 09 Dec 2016, updated 21:07 EST 09 Dec 2016
Does she love me for myself? As spiteful cynics doubt Meghan's motives, how besotted Prince Harry might seek advice from our 'agony aunt' JAN MOIR  |

Curryong

^I don't doubt Jan Muir's motives for writing an article poking fun at Harry, even though she calls him the most popular Royal in the BRF barring the Queen. Good old fun-loving Jan pokes fun at others for her weekly salary. She's almost as hilarious here as when she was awarded the Stonewall Bigot of the Year Award in 2009 for a particularly vicious article on the death of gay, Stephen Gately. It also drew the ire of fellow journalists. See below. What a sense of humour!

Charlie Brooker | Why there was nothing 'human' about Jan Moir's column on the death of Stephen Gately | Opinion | The Guardian

The last paragraph in the above article referring to the Daily Fail (Jan's employer) is particularly apt I think.

Vesper

She might be a bigot, if so, shame on her, but that doesn't make the point she's making here any less valid. The way MM goes on about her heritage you would think she invented being bi-racial. Harry's cry for privacy doesn't match his girlfriend thirst for the limelight.

psm

As abominal as she is, Jan has a point this time.

I am a little tired of people throwing racism whenever MM is criticized. First of all that is a serious accusation. Second, while I am sure there are people who are against this relationship because of her ethnic background, for many others that is not the case.

IMO her being a biracial American are two positive things. Same for her education and the fact that she is an independent woman who has been working to make a living. That was why I was so excited. I wanted them to get married and have babies. But the more I've observed her, the less impressed I've become.

Like I've said, I am not critical of her using social media as it is part of her profession and she has big following. So different standards already for her as opposed to Cressida who left her IG open for a while after her relationship was discovered. And Cressida was younger, and not media savvy. social media a newer platform. MM is playing, kind of trolling. Which is scary because being a member of BRF is not being a celebrity. It's not too difficult to refrain from posting suggestive bananas, references to the UK. She can already do that. She was in LA, posted tress, are the media constantly mentioning that? No, because there is not a story to tell about those posts after the initial (boring) reporting. Bananas, union jack dog sweater, bracelets, MH necklace? Different story. All could have been easily prevented. But all also furthered her fame, kept her on the media.

I was initially impressed that she had been doing charity work, but I wanted to puke after I watched her video in Rwanda, which could be studied in a post-colonialism class.  It was not about charity, it was about a beautiful and privileged American hugging poor Third World children, while looking glamorous; bestowing upon them her valuable attention. No, please no!

Yale

I just skimmed over some of the last few posts.

I'm going to say this again.....

Prince Harry is going to do what he wants to do regardless of what any of you have to say; regardless of anybody thinks in Britain or anywhere else.

If marries Meghan, there is not one thing any of you can say or do to stop him.  So, that so called article in a few posts up is a waste of time.

Cat00

Quote from: Yale on December 10, 2016, 08:02:49 PM
I just skimmed over some of the last few posts.

I'm going to say this again.....

Prince Harry is going to do what he wants to do regardless of what any of you have to say; regardless of anybody thinks in Britain or anywhere else.

If marries Meghan, there is not one thing any of you can say or do to stop him.  So, that so called article in a few posts up is a waste of time.

Me too. Since unfortunately in this Forum there is no way to block some members, I simply don't read your posts anymore, I ignore  :teehee: