Duchess of Cambridge' tour wardrobe / fashion / style ,.etc

Started by Princessinwaiting, April 06, 2014, 02:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rebound

I'd forgotten that the national colors of Australia are green and gold. It was very thoughtful to honor that in the capital city.

Sorry, AyVey, but that picture of the coat made me laugh--I think it got squashed in posting, and the model's proportions are distorted. If Kate had worn the coat like that, there would have been gasps and groans (and secret delight) from the Kate-complaining section. The zipper open like that---well---even if she had worn a long cami or light dress under it, it would look ridiculous on a duchess. It might be great for a young celebrity, but as many point out, Kate is royal, and must look more formal.

As for the reference to the order of st. patrick, I assume that was intended to be lighthearted. But if falls off the mark, since nuns are always modest and self-effacing in dress, and would never wear that bold a color. Some religious Catholics might find that remark offensive.

Limabeany

There are also many religious Catholics who have a great sense of humor, I know many... The reference was lighthearted and I stand by my remark, boring dress suited for a nun... Not all nuns wear habits... Is green her favorite color?
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Princessinwaiting

The outfit is boring  :orchid: same shade of green she wore last week  :blank:
No wonder chelsy couldn't do this job you have to dress like a poor person .

Double post auto-merged: April 24, 2014, 09:47:56 AM

This beulah dress would have been never on kate Made in Chelsea: Photo

Double post auto-merged: April 24, 2014, 09:48:40 AM

I typed nicer in Kate but Auto correct changed it to never  :teehee: :lol:

PrincessOfPeace

'Approachable, modern and not dictated by fashion': Australian designers give their verdict on Kate's Royal tour outfits

QuoteAustralia's top fashion designers have heaped huge praise on the Duchess of Cambridge's Royal tour wardrobe -  despite her snubbing all but one of them.

Classic designer Carla Zampatti - who has met the Queen, Prince Philip, Prince Edward, Prince Charles and Diana - applauded Kate's 'wonderful taste' and the fact she was a 'hard working royal', as she attended a reception for the Royal couple at Parliament House, Canberra.

Ms Zampatti even went so far as to label the 32-year-old 'the best promotion of the fashion industry' she can think of.
More: Australian designers give verdict on Duchess of Cambridge Kate's Royal tour outfits | Mail Online

TLLK

Quote from: Limabeany on April 24, 2014, 04:49:30 AM
There are also many religious Catholics who have a great sense of humor, I know many... The reference was lighthearted and I stand by my remark, boring dress suited for a nun... Not all nuns wear habits... Is green her favorite color?
IMO the green was a nod to one of Australia's national colors yellow and green.

TLLK

I thought that last night's reception dress and updo were very elegant. She also wore her diamond bracelet and matching earrings.

TLLK

Quote from: AyVey on April 24, 2014, 12:42:33 AM
Ohh I did, thank you! You are right there are some big fashion flops there but what annoys me is that Kate's mishaps are not considered inappropriate. They are always shrugged and passed as something normal that happens to everyone  which they aren't especially for someone in her position IMO

IMHO the posters at Sartorial Splendor really just focus upon the fashion and most of the long time posters have seen it all by now. Too tight pants on various Crown Princesses, seriously ugly and bizarre color selections and a host of complaints about shoes. Based upon what I've read, Kate doesn't make the top ten when it comes to fashion disasters. She tends to stick to her tried and true without any attempts to try anything really daring.

TLLK

Quote from: Limabeany on April 24, 2014, 04:49:30 AM
Going off topic, but it is rare to see an American nun in a habit these days. We were visiting my father-in-law in the hospital and a nun entered the elevator with me and my two young children. She asked us where we were headed and when I replied I used the word "sister." She exited at the next floor and my then four year old daughter wanted to know why I called the lady in the blue dress and veil my "sister." She'd never seen a nun in a habit before.

cinrit

Strictly speaking, a nun is cloistered within a monastery and wears a habit, usually black.  A sister takes the same vows, except for cloistering, and lives and works "in the world".  That said, except for very religious Roman Catholics, most people don't distinguish between the two (I don't).  I worked with six or seven sisters, and none of them wore habits.  Skirt and blouse, and sometimes, slacks and casual tops.  But I can't remember ever seeing any of them in brightly-colored clothing.  The colors that they wore were either black or navy blue, or an almost faded version of other colors.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Felicia

I think her outfits have been nice on this tour-but they scream out for some " Royal" jewellery

And her shoes need to be lower and the wedges burnt

Rebound

A nun would never wear a coat tailored with stitching details specifically placed to emphasize her figure. Neither would nuns wear so bold a green as that color.

I also have known many nuns, and agree they have senses of humor. But many Catholics would resent joking about that coat being appropriate for a nun. It isn't. Of course I know nuns today wear normal, modest clothing, Never a coat like Kate's. I stand by my comments.

I agree, TLLK, that Kate has worn colors that honor Australia. Any observers criticizing her color choices should wonder more about why Australia's national colors are green and gold. In my opinion, she is very thoughtful about what she wears. Some observers will criticize whatever she wears.

sara8150

Limabeany

Quote from: Rebound on April 24, 2014, 05:02:58 PM
Some observers will criticize whatever she wears.
Some observers don't think everything is perfect because she wears it.   :paparazzi: There are extremists and people lacking a sense of humor about things and people they like in all walks of life, obviously... Cheers...

Double post auto-merged: April 24, 2014, 05:59:41 PM

Quote from: cinrit on April 24, 2014, 04:36:24 PM
Strictly speaking, a nun is cloistered within a monastery and wears a habit, usually black.  A sister takes the same vows, except for cloistering, and lives and works "in the world".  That said, except for very religious Roman Catholics, most people don't distinguish between the two (I don't).  I worked with six or seven sisters, and none of them wore habits.  Skirt and blouse, and sometimes, slacks and casual tops.  But I can't remember ever seeing any of them in brightly-colored clothing.  The colors that they wore were either black or navy blue, or an almost faded version of other colors.

Cindy
Well, I work with Catholic charities and have spent my school and College years around nuns, they are not all cloistered, dear God, and they don't all wear habits... There are very cheerful and happy people in the world and some of them are nuns, of course, and wear items of color that reflect that spirit. Sorry, but I do think that this umpteenth green coat dress of Kate's is appropriate for a monastery visit, green or otherwise.  :orchid:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

PrincessOfPeace

Limabeany

This dress is, to me, gorgeous. it is one of the few items of clothing in this Tour that I have liked, I love it, actually. The shoes are not complementary, too bland and shapeless, appropriate but not the best for that dress...

Rebound

Limabeany, there are also extremists and people lacking a sense of humor who dislike Kate intensely, and criticize every outfit she wears and everything she does. I prefer to look at the happy side of life, and shrug at things I don't care for. I don't feel the need to publicly put anyone down. And I'm very, very glad people aren't always looking at me!! They'd find plenty to criticize. Plenty.
YMMV. Cheers to you, too.

That cocktail gown is absolutely gorgeous. I love the contrast of black and white with diamonds. And I always like her hair styled this way--so elegant. William has every reason to be proud.

cinrit

Quote from: Limabeany on April 24, 2014, 05:56:04 PM
Well, I work with Catholic charities and have spent my school and College years around nuns, they are not all cloistered, dear God, and they don't all wear habits... There are very cheerful and happy people in the world and some of them are nuns, of course, and wear items of color that reflect that spirit. Sorry, but I do think that this umpteenth green coat dress of Kate's is appropriate for a monastery visit, green or otherwise.  :orchid: 

Okay.  I worked for my local Diocese for five years; just retired from there a couple of years ago.  Next door to our building was the Carmelite Monastery.  Sometimes the nuns would be outside working in their garden, but for the most part, we never saw them, but they were always dressed in black.

QuoteAnother distinguishing mark of nuns is that they live a contemplative, cloistered life in a monastery. "Cloistered" refers to living within the confines of the monastery behind the "papal enclosure." Nuns are permitted to leave the cloister only under special circumstances and with the proper permission. Moreover, visitors are not be permitted to enter into the cloistered area.

More: The Meaning of the Terms Nun, Sister, Monk, Priest, and Brother

Just being pedantic, since the Roman Catholic church is, and my local Bishop most definitely is. :eyes:

Cindy

Limabeany

Most nuns are not cloistered. And, I bid adieu to this conversational detour.n :happy15:

Lady Adams

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

cinrit

I've never heard of her.  What does she do?  I do recognize that she's in the public eye somehow, so she'll dress accordingly and to be seen easier.

Cindy

HereditaryPrincess

I didn't really like Kate's white dress today, the lacy sleeves aren't really my cup of tea and IMO the extra lace on the front of her dress looks a little awkward. Having said that, I do like her hairstyle and her green coat is very nice. Kate's done a good job on her tour wardrobe, apart from a couple of misses. :thumbsup:

FanDianaFancy

Whether  this one or that is  my taste, well, I can  separate that  ...I mean, all of her  dresses  seem  well fitted, no dress fly-ups, good lengths, appropropriate in colors, fabric,etc.

Wedges...I am ify  on that. She is a young woman of 31.  Wedges are  heels, but  safe heels.

I think this  tour has  been her best, consistent looks.

Hair.  There are more ways to wear her hair than just  hanging down. The  pinned back look . Easy. Youthful. Classy.  Much better than   the hair blowing -in-the -wind look and frizzed look.

Negative opinion of mine.

Pantsuits or slacks w/ coordinating blouses would  have  nice, more pratical  for some things like the zoo trip. The mountain trip.

TLLK

Lady Adams

Quote from: cinrit on April 24, 2014, 10:37:21 PM
I've never heard of her.  What does she do?  I do recognize that she's in the public eye somehow, so she'll dress accordingly and to be seen easier.

Cindy
Sister Simone is a nun (obviously) who works on social justice. Kind of (in my opinion) like a modern day Dorothy Day.  :flower:
Simone Campbell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote from: FanDianaFancy on April 24, 2014, 11:28:40 PM

I think this  tour has  been her best, consistent looks.

Hair.  There are more ways to wear her hair than just  hanging down. The  pinned back look . Easy. Youthful. Classy.  Much better than   the hair blowing -in-the -wind look and frizzed look.

I agree about the hair (more updos please!) but disagree about the best looks on this tour. I think her best outfits (and hair) was in Canada. Come back, James Pryce!
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer