19 years without Diana, where has the time gone

Started by Duch_Luver_4ever, August 31, 2016, 03:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duch_Luver_4ever

I could put links up to youtube and other stuff, but we've all seen them so many times. So hard to believe its been so long, but when I think about it, in my mind im in the same room, glued to the TV, just not believing what my eyes are showing me. The waiting, thats what I remember most, it took so long for the car to be moved, for the ambulance to get going, each time it stopped, I feared the worst, and so used to how its done here, so angry and any delay getting her to the hospital.

Then the last delay so close to the hospital, for gods sake why wont they get her inside? Then more waiting, and that hope that once inside it would all be made right, sure there might be some lasting stiffness from broken limbs and strained muscles, but one day soon wed see her wheeled out in a wheelchair, looking battered but still radiant, probably with stories of her visiting other patients with cancer, etc.

But that wasnt what happened, was it? I just remember being so numb hearing the news, I thought "this cant be, im going to wake up, find out it was a bad piece of food at supper, or some awful nightmare", and have an interesting story at breakfast.

It was real, though, and the world started its week of mourning. Our generations touchstone moment, im sure all of your minds has taken you back to where you were when you first heard reading this.

We all were glued to the TV, trying to piece together what happened (19 years later, its still a work in progress), hearing about the arrangements, the fight within the RF over it, the public reaction and the flowers, my god the flowers. Never had we seen anything like that, and likely wont see again.

But 19 years ago today, someone who meant a lot to a lot of us was taken, as she described of her desired epitaph "A great hope, crushed in its infancy".

Rest well, my love, you are in my heart, always.....
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Valentina18

Time may have passed but I remember it like yesterday. She seemed like she was so full of life after spending so many years being unhappy.Its really sad knowing how unhappy her childhood was and then going on to have a loveless marriage to Charles.It seemed towards then end she had just started to find her feet when she suddenly died.

Jennifer

Princess Diana's legacy is still alive 19 years later. I will never forget the charitable work she has done. Despite the troubles she faced in her life, she did not stop thinking about the needs of other people.  I think her ability to help transform people's lives out of the kindness of her heart was remarkable. More people should be like her.

QuoteCrowds gather outside Kensington Palace to mark 19 years since Diana's death

Crowds gathered outside Kensington Palace this morning to pay tribute to Diana, Princess of Wales, who died 19 years ago in Paris.

Mourners have visited the gates of Kensington Palace every year since Diana's death in 1997, with a mass of floral tributes being left.

On 31 August 1997, Diana died as a result of injuries sustained in a car accident in the Pont de l'Alma road tunnel in Paris, France. Her companion, Dodi Fayed, and the driver of the Mercedes-Benz W140, Henri Paul, were also pronounced dead at the scene of the accident. The bodyguard of Diana and Dodi, Trevor Rees-Jones, was the only survivor. Although the media pinned the blame on the paparazzi, the crash was ultimately found to be caused by the reckless actions of the chauffeur, who was the head of security at the Ritz and had earlier goaded the paparazzi waiting outside the hotel.

Read more:
Crowds gather outside Kensington Palace to mark 19 years since Diana's death – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

Duch_Luver_4ever

:goodpost: very good words, @Jennifer was nice to see people still coming round 19 years later, and next year will be interesting. Oh, and in case any C&C fans scoff at the numbers, how many came round to other royals 19 years after their passing?? Yeah, thought so.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Jennifer

A lot of people haven't forgotten about Princess Diana after 19 years. They never will. :thumbsup: She will always be a timeless icon like Mother Teresa.

QuotePrincess Diana remembered on the 19th anniversary of her death

It has been 19 years to the day since Princess Diana was tragically killed in Paris. The beloved royal was just 36-years-old when she died, but in her short life she made such a tremendous impact that almost two decades on, the public continues to remember and pay tribute to 'the people's princess'.

Read more:
Princess Diana remembered on anniversary
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston