Journalist claims Meghans skin tone makes her more acceptable to UK

Started by Duch_Luver_4ever, February 15, 2018, 02:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duch_Luver_4ever

Meghan Markle is pulled into colourism debate | Daily Mail Online

More colorism stuff...(that was claimed to be non existent) Someones always going to complain, so in that case M&H should just carry on like usual. My fav comment on the article..."How ironic that she makes a sweeping generalization alleging that people make sweeping generalizations."

Its 9 years since the first african american president and now first royal bride to a close member of the RF, and shes american and a divorcee in addition to her ethnic heritage!!, FFS I think the RF has earned a little respect, even if its the low expectations of centuries of class and race isolation.

Typical though, but the constant carping will make ppl throw up their hands and do whatever they want.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

QuoteHow ironic that she makes a sweeping generalization alleging that people make sweeping generalizations.

Yes this comment was precisely on target regarding the author's "sweeping generalizations."

Meghan cannot help the fact that she has less melanin in her skin than others. :shrug: IMO she's acceptable to her fiancee, his immediate family (father, brother) and  the BRF and that's all that should matter.  :shrug:

Duch_Luver_4ever

Exactly, some ppl though are never happy unless its exactly as they want it on their terms at all times, so thats why journalists like this exist, the twitter and FB sphere is a place of never-ending sniping and outrage.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

royalanthropologist

But let's face facts guys. Color does come into it, even subconsciously in the public eyes. I refuse to believe in the idea of a completely accepting British society. It does not exist. Meghan does have an advantage of being able to "pass" although the "one drop rule" means that she is an African American whatever her skin tone.

On the other hand, the fact that Meghan has been welcomed with open arms makes a complete mockery of the likes of MAF who insinuated that the family was irredeemably racist because they did not like him. They are not. Just like any other royal family, they would probably be happier with marriage to a British aristocrat or high born European royal but modern times mean that they have to take what they can. Besides, the queen is titular Head of the Commonwealth (a body dominated by dark-skinned people).
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

wannable

The British society may be measured by government policies whom are elected and take office by a majority...where am I going, the United Kingdom is No. 2 behind France in accepting Black immigrants in numbers.

The USA despite being massive in size, respected worldwide as No. 1 in power, placed in Black immigration only No. 7.

Other than that, yougov polls immediately after Harry's Nov 2016 R letter showed that UK pollsters in a high number of 70 plus do no mind him marrying a black woman. That is a landslide victory.

royalanthropologist

Hope you enjoy it in the UK. Be prepared for wet, wet days and horrendous Januaries plus tiny, tiny rooms.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

TLLK

QuoteOther than that, yougov polls immediately after Harry's Nov 2016 R letter showed that UK pollsters in a high number of 70 plus do no mind him marrying a black woman. That is a landslide victory.

This is what caught my attention after the November 2017 YouGov poll. YouGov polled people from across the UK from all of the political parties and across the generations and an incredibly large percentage of them found it acceptable that Harry was engaged to marry someone from outside the UK and of a different race/ethnicity.

The ones who are against Meghan marrying Harry because of her ethnic background   who are mainly largely  tabloid commenters and the petition supporters (mostly Americans) can have their own opinions, but the British public appears to be overwhelmingly in favor of their match.

As to the weather, if Meghan can adapt to Toronto, Ontario's climate I believe that she'll find London to be quite pleasant.  :)