German election

Started by Curryong, September 25, 2017, 01:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

Interesting times in Germany as Angela Merkel wins a fourth term but a far right anti-immigration party surges and takes seats. Merkel's party is apparently likely to be forced reluctantly into a coalition government for the interim. Quite frankly I'm not surprised as it appears sections of the German population have taken a stance on immigration in recent times.

German election: Angela Merkel hangs on to power but forced to form coalition after losing support to far-right - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting

TLLK

Yes it is @Curryong. With my husband's aunt, uncle and cousins living in Bavaria, I do keep an eye on the news coming from Germany. Some of the recent articles that I have read focus upon the states that made up the former East Germany. For decades now people have been leaving this area due to a lack of employment and opportunities. Apart from Berlin and Dresden, much of the economic power base is still in western part of the country. In the east there are feelings of resentment and that they have been overlooked in favor of the refugees and migrants. It will be an interesting situation should the Christian Democrats have to share power with the rival parties.

TLLK

My other concern is that many of the refugees are being resettled in areas of eastern Germany that have seen a drop in population by Germans. I'm worried that adding more people to a region that currently has little economic growth and few job prospects is a form of warehousing. One difference between the U.S. and Europe is that the  majority of our immigrants from Muslim nations have assimilated into society and are employed. The same cannot be said for Europe which has sizeable suburban neighborhoods of immigrants from Muslim nations who are not being assimilated and are unemployed. This is especially true in suburban towns outside of Paris and Brussels.

Curryong

This is quite true, TLLK. The ghettoes of outer suburban Paris were going to be a problem twenty years ago to anyone with any foresight. But of course, nothing was done. Here in Australia our Muslim population is so tiny and is spread over various suburbs in our capital cities and major towns. We hope that there is sufficicient assimilation but who knows. 

TLLK

Exactly @Curryong! I'm concerned that the next generation of young people who will find themselves with few job prospects is being created now. There was already an existing population that has limited prospects and while I'm heartened by the humanitarian efforts made by the German government, I am concerned about the long term prospects for all of them. It's a lack of foresight that will breed resentment and a rise in dissatisfaction. That tends to fuel the extremist groups on both sides of the political spectrum.