Royalty Questions: Ask all your questions here....

Started by Wombat, December 28, 2006, 06:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wombat

If you have any questions regarding royalty, then please feel free to post them here.  This forum has loads of great minds who have a wealth of knowledge on all things royal. What they don't know isn't worth knowing :thumbsup:

lizzie2106

It's a silly question IMO but I'm going to ask it anyway :blush: :teehee:

Does anyone know when Zara's column in the Daily Telegraph will appear? :unsure:

Go Zara!! :thumbsup: :woo:

Windsor

What is the period between the reigns of King Charles I and King Charles II called? :mellow:

heather

Was it the Protectorate?.............or The very unfun time? :hmm:

Stix Chix

Quote from: Windsor on December 28, 2006, 09:07:55 PM
What is the period between the reigns of King Charles I and King Charles II called? :mellow:

interegum period i think :hmm:......but that cant be spelt right! :laugh:

Harryite #0004

Wombat

Why is Windsor asking a question? :lmao:

W: I was referring to you as one of the great minds of the forum :yessir:

Stix: Interregnum..

QuoteThe Commonwealth of England was the republican government which ruled first England and then Ireland and Scotland from 1649 to 1660. After the regicide of Charles I on January 30, 1649, its existence was initially declared (An Act declaring England to be a Commonwealth) by the Rump Parliament on May 19, 1649. The government during 1653 to 1659 is properly called The Protectorate, and took the form of direct personal rule by Oliver Cromwell and, after his death, his son Richard, as Lord Protector. The term Commonwealth is, however, loosely used to describe the system of government during the whole of 1649 to 1660, the years of the English Interregnum.

heather

Mrs.WilliamWindsor

What do you think about Prince William marrying someone African American or anyone of a different race?
Come, gentle night; come, loving, black-browed night;
Give me my Romeo; and, when I shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night... Romeo and Juliet Act III scene ii

heather

In this day and age it hardly matters really.........just as long as he/she is not a husband beater.

Wombat

..or has 3 nipples :rudolf:

Seriously though..I think people and the establishment would be fine with it. People are people the world over, regardless of colour etc  :happy:

Wombat

Question: I'm watching a thing on tv and they just said the privvy council were in charge of Henry VIII's bowel movements and wiped his arse for him? :huh?: OMG :faint: Is this true? :o

hippie_cyndi

:lmao: that's disgusting...atlease they made sure he was clean for the next poor victim in his bed   :fool:
Thanx Crystalrayn :flowery:

Wombat

Lila the Flirt

Flirt's the name, flirtin's my game :lila:

Jayne

My question is why does the girl William marry, has to be a catholic. Also, I don't know where else to ask this, but why does or did the girl have to be a virgin? Thanks. :)

hippie_cyndi

you mean why she can't be catholic? it has 2 do with founder of the Anglican church, King Henry VIII<8th> who no longer felt the catholic church suited him since he wanted 2 divorce his 5th wife, in favor of a new one 2 give him a son....about being a virgin its a tradition most monarchies had...some still do....its a patriarchal double standard where the king did not want 2 bed a woman another man lay/slept with.....but i highly doubt the latter applies 2 william...unless he seeks women from diff. culture...or...marries a teenager.
Thanx Crystalrayn :flowery:

Lila the Flirt

Yes. I think it has something to do with William being the future King and therefore, Defender of the Faith. :)

Flirt's the name, flirtin's my game :lila:

Nighthawk

I am curious not much on the royalty of the world but did Iraq at any point and time after the fall of Babylon ever have a royal family???  Been seaching the web but haven't found anything.  Thanks

Jayne

Quote from: hippie_cyndi on January 08, 2007, 10:09:47 AM
you mean why she can't be catholic? it has 2 do with founder of the Anglican church, King Henry VIII<8th> who no longer felt the catholic church suited him since he wanted 2 divorce his 5th wife, in favor of a new one 2 give him a son....about being a virgin its a tradition most monarchies had...some still do....its a patriarchal double standard where the king did not want 2 bed a woman another man lay/slept with.....but i highly doubt the latter applies 2 william...unless he seeks women from diff. culture...or...marries a teenager.
Thanks. :thumbsup:

Wombat

Quote from: Jayne on January 07, 2007, 05:03:36 PM
My question is why does the girl William marry, has to be a catholic. Also, I don't know where else to ask this, but why does or did the girl have to be a virgin? Thanks. :)
This explains it better...
QuoteThe Royal Marriages Act of 1772 is an Act of the Parliament of Great Britain which made it illegal for any member of the British royal family (defined as all descendants of King George II, excluding descendants of princesses who marry "into foreign families") under the age of 25 to marry without the consent of the ruling monarch. Any member of the Royal Family over the age of 25 who has been refused the sovereign's consent may marry one year after giving notice to the Privy Council of their intention to so marry, unless Parliament passes an act against the marriage in the interim. The Act further made it a crime to perform or participate in an illegal marriage of any member of the Royal Family. This provision was repealed by the Criminal Law Act, 1967. The 1772 Act resulted from the 1771 marriage of Prince Henry Frederick, Duke of Cumberland, brother of George III to the commoner Anne Horton, a woman George III considered unsuitable. As the result of the Act, the 1785 marriage of George IV, then heir to the throne, to Maria Anne Fitzherbert (a Catholic widow) was deemed illegal; without the Royal Marriages Act, it is possible that the marriage could have excluded George from the throne under the Act of Settlement 1701.

Elisevonblah

I have three question.

1. In most royal houses, the heir to the throne is called the Crown Prince(ss) but the Brits use the Prince(ss) of Wales title instead. Why is that? Have they ever used the Crown Prince(ss) style?

2. Why do some royals wear sashes at fancy official functions, like weddings? Again, why don't the Brits?

3. I know that a British royal can't marry a Catholic without being taken out of the line of succession, but can they marry  a converted Catholic or is it no go if they were baptised Catholic?
Disclaimer: This is my opinion, I have no facts

Windsor

Quote from: Nighthawk on January 08, 2007, 05:13:34 PM
I am curious not much on the royalty of the world but did Iraq at any point and time after the fall of Babylon ever have a royal family???  Been seaching the web but haven't found anything.  Thanks

The dissolution of the Ottoman Empire after the end of the World War I saw Iraq and several other provinces including Jordan and modern day Israel fall under the control of the British Empire – during this period, the British in order to restore law and order established a 'puppet Monarchy' under the 'control' of the Hashemite dynasty.  The Iraqi Monarchy was overthrow by a military coup in 1958.

There are currently efforts underway to restore the Monarchy in Iraq and for the Iraqi system of government to be changed to a Constitutional Monarchy under the current Heir to the Throne, Prince Sharif Ali bin al-Hussein as King.

Official web site of the Iraqi Constitutional Monarchy

Nighthawk

Stix Chix

Quote from: Elisevonblah on January 10, 2007, 08:35:00 AM
1. In most royal houses, the heir to the throne is called the Crown Prince(ss) but the Brits use the Prince(ss) of Wales title instead. Why is that? Have they ever used the Crown Prince(ss) style?
different monarchies have different titles and honors.  they are worded differently but they all mean basically the same thing.  the POW title is only ever given to the first born son of the Brit. Monarch.  and he only keeps it for as long as he's a prince.  only the POW's wife could become the Princess of Wales.  a female heir born to the British throne cant inherit the Prince/ss of Wales title.  the highest title a female heir can get in Britain is to by styled the Princess Royal (which is how Princess Anne is styled).

also...kind of a cool side note...the title HRH wasnt used in Britain until King George I brought the title over from Hanover.  and once even the title Prince and Princess was only given to the eldest children.  all the younger siblings had to make do with Lord and Lady. 

Quote2. Why do some royals wear sashes at fancy official functions, like weddings? Again, why don't the Brits?
i love those things!  they are to denote rank.  and to just generally look cool and royal. 8) the British royals do wear the sashes on official royal occasions....but if were a Princess u'd never get me out of it! :laugh:

Quote3. I know that a British royal can't marry a Catholic without being taken out of the line of succession, but can they marry  a converted Catholic or is it no go if they were baptised Catholic?
i'm pretty sure they can....but if the husband/wife were to go back to their first religion or raise their children as Catholics there would b a bit of a problem.

Harryite #0004

Stix Chix

Quote from: wombat on January 07, 2007, 06:57:58 AM
Question: I'm watching a thing on tv and they just said the privvy council were in charge of Henry VIII's bowel movements and wiped his arse for him? :huh?: OMG :faint: Is this true? :o

yes!  :happytears: Keeper of the Stool.  a very prestigious role actually.....but i think i'd rather b Petter of the Corgi.  :D

Quote from: Jayne on January 07, 2007, 05:03:36 PM
Also, I don't know where else to ask this, but why does or did the girl have to be a virgin? Thanks. :)
Hippie's answer to this was great!  but just to add on with a more modern take on it, these days if she doesnt have a "past" then she dosent have to worry about old boyfriends selling love stories (and even photos) to the press like happened to Sophie.

Harryite #0004