Main Menu

I'm back!

Started by Blue Clover, June 12, 2017, 02:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Clover

@tiaras Yes, I do find my job interesting!
@TLLK I really do feel that I carry the weight of the world on my shoulders sometimes. Right now we are having an opioid (i.e., heroin, painkillers, etc.) epidemic in the United States. We need more treatment (i.e., block grants, grant funds) for addiction and so that feels like a huge responsibility. Thank you! I try my best every single day!

Jenee

I've seen a lot about the opioid crisis in the news lately- my Governor is introducing legislation I think- and Schumer comes up on my Facebook feed all the time and this is a hot button topic. It's an interesting climate to be working for the government right now BC, especially in a health related profession.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Blue Clover

Jenee, Thanks! I have to say I never have a boring or slow day. For example, I spent the day in a meeting discussing High-cost users of state services (people who are in and out of every service agency or system all the time): they tend to be drug abusers with mental health problems, who are homeless and won't/don't follow up with any community services, are criminal justice involved, and only go to treatment when it is court-mandated and then they stop and go back to using, they move around from county to county so no one can get their hands on them. Wow! how do you manage them? We are all just scratching our heads! This population ends up costing the state so much $$$ but without recovering or improving. These are the kinds of problems I work on with my colleagues. I guess if I have to spend years and years working on something, this is something worthwhile. Yes, the drug addiction issue is horrifying and very sad.

Jenee

Good luck... I have no ideas :lol:
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Blue Clover

@Jenee :teehee:  These issues are intractable!