King Alfonso XIII of Spain

Started by snokitty, January 30, 2015, 10:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snokitty

King Alfonso XIII of Spain | Unofficial Royalty
King Alfonso XIII of Spain was the Spanish sovereign from his birth on May 17, 1886 until the establishment of the Second Spanish Republic on April 14, 1931. He was born Alfonso León Fernando María Jaime Isidro Pascual Antonio de Borbón y Habsburgo-Lorena, the son of the late King Alfonso XII of Spain and Archduchess Maria Christina of Austria. Because his father had died before his birth, his mother served as Regent while awaiting his birth. She would remain Regent until Alfonso turned 16 and took control of the monarchy. He had two older sisters:
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

LouisFerdinand

Alfonso XIII had his coronation in 1902.   
1902 Coronación de Alfonso XIII (doc) - YouTube   
:royalsneeze: :royalsneeze: :royalsneeze: :royalsneeze: :royalsneeze: :royalsneeze: :royalsneeze:

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

King Alfonso XIII lays the first rail for the new railway at Villajoyosa.   
KING ALFONSO XIII - NO SOUND - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

King Alfonso XIII asked King Edward VII's permission to marry Princess Victoria Eugenie in January 1936. Did he also ask Princess Beatrice of Battenberg's permission to marry her daughter?

Curryong

I think that Queen Maria Cristina of Spain, who was not happy with her son's choice, wrote to Princess Beatrice telling of her son's love for Ena, but that didn't really constitute asking for her motherly permission. That consent came from Edward VII, who was delighted. A treaty of friendship was signed between Spain and GB and Ena took steps to convert to the RC faith. All the same, if Beatrice had been appalled at the prospect I don't think the marriage would have taken place.

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on August 19, 2019, 07:29:14 AM
I think that Queen Maria Cristina of Spain, who was not happy with her son's choice, wrote to Princess Beatrice telling of her son's love for Ena, but that didn't really constitute asking for her motherly permission. That consent came from Edward VII, who was delighted. A treaty of friendship was signed between Spain and GB and Ena took steps to convert to the RC faith. All the same, if Beatrice had been appalled at the prospect I don't think the marriage would have taken place.
I imagine that as Ena's mother, she had some say in it..adn could have vetoed it if she felt strongly that it was a bad idea for her daughter.  Edward would surely not have pressed for the marriage if the girl's mother was against it.. But it seems Ena and Alfonso were at least at the beginning in love.. Ena was willng to convert to Rom Catholicism and Edward was pleased to give his consent.. and to have his neiece make a good marriage in social terms to a man she cared for... But if Beatrice had really objected, as Ena's mother she would have had some say

LouisFerdinand

King Alfonso XIII proposed to Princess Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg in Biarritz. Do you think that Victoria would have preferred that the proposal would have occurred in England?

Curryong

Biarritz was probably regarded as a romantic spot as well as being a very smart summer resort. And Alfonzo took Ena and her mother Beatrice over the Spanish border to see his mother. When she left she said to the mother and daughter 'See you in Madrid!'

LouisFerdinand

King Alfonso paid a state visit to King Gustav V of Sweden in 1928.   
King Alphonso Aka King Alfonso (1928) - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

On their wedding day King Alfonso XIII and Princess Victoria Eugenie were in the bridal coach when a bomb, enclosed in a bouquet, fell to the right of the coach and exploded. Alfonso and Victoria lived.   
This is a most unfortunate event to occur on a wedding day.   

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Curryong

Well, you could call it that, though apparently Pudding Face (Marie, Affie?s widow) who was a guest, took it all in her stride. She is said to have remarked that bombs were nothing out of the ordinary in Russia. Which, considering that her father and brother Serge were ripped apart by them, ending their lives, was quite a statement!

LouisFerdinand

Did not the bombing explosion of Grand Duke Serge occur in 1905, a year before Princess Victoria Eugenie's wedding?

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on May 10, 2021, 09:29:37 PM
Did not the bombing explosion of Grand Duke Serge occur in 1905, a year before Princess Victoria Eugenie's wedding?

Yes it did, in February 1905. That?s probably partly what Pudding Face was referring to.